It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Eyes 6th Generation Fighter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The Japanese ministry of defence is proposing to develop a 6th gen fighter.

Highlights would include

"greater stealth than fielded by opponents"

"next gen avionics" : which would have all aspect sensors and radar capable of targeting other stealth airframes

"Cloud shooting" : fighters would use off board targeting data from other fighter when firing its missiles

"A powerfull slim engine": More power in a smaller size than exisitng turbines.

"advanced Networking" a stealthy drone would fly ahead of the fighter and feed its take back to the aircraft.

"Directed energy weapons"

The targeting dron and directed energy weapons would be avalible in 30 - 40 years according to projections.

Japan has the technical skill without a doubt to make this a reality. For them its a question of spending enough $$$$$ to make it happen.

Sorry guys, It was in this weeks AWST dated September 6, 2010 page 29.

In the past when I posted links to stories, you have to be a subscriber to the magazine to read them and it just frustrates people.

Japan Eyes New Fighter With Counter-Stealth, Directed Energy
Japan’s defense ministry proposes to develop a sixth-generation manned fighter with strong counter-stealth capability and a directed-energy ­weapon.

www.aviationweek.com.../aw st_xml/2010/09/06/AW_09_06_2010_p29-251939.xml&headline=Japan+Eyes+New+Fighter+With+Counter-Stealth%2C+Directed+Energy

edit on 9/10/10 by FredT because: added source

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
For a nation which has no goals and has been swilling ennui like a drunkard on Ripple, it's good that they would want to construct a device for causing destruction. I especially enjoy the prospects of a manned aircraft in 2040 being a mainstay of a fighter force.
I suspect that if they had said they were going to create Skynet I might have been more impressed but only negatively.
Why don't they try building commercial aircraft? Inexpensive fast mass transportation?
They are some lost puppies for sure.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Do you have a link for this news source?
Second line

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Yeah can you lead us to a source Fred? I tried doing a quick search but nothing came up and I havent heard of this.

PS: On your avatar.... "Damn it Jim Im a super moderator, not a magician!"

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

A mod posted this???
No source,link, not even quotes...

Not to mention 30-40years away????

Me thinks it needs to be moved to skunkworks...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I have a relevant source..

Here you go: www.youtube.com...

Eager to see the real source.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
It's actually a 5th generation fighter they are going to develop.
It's called the F3 ShinShin.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Sorry guys, It was in this weeks AWST dated September 6, 2010 page 29.

In the past when I posted links to stories, you have to be a subscriber to the magazine to read them and it just frustrates people.

Japan Eyes New Fighter With Counter-Stealth, Directed Energy
Japan’s defense ministry proposes to develop a sixth-generation manned fighter with strong counter-stealth capability and a directed-energy ­weapon.

www.aviationweek.com.../aw st_xml/2010/09/06/AW_09_06_2010_p29-251939.xml&headline=Japan+Eyes+New+Fighter+With+Counter-Stealth%2C+Directed+Energy

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Directed energy weapons O.o woah. The US needs an entire jumbo jet to house its direct energy weapons system. Looks like the CIA needs to ramp up its espionage efforts over in Japan.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Mmmm... nice signature Fred.

Any chance you could copy paste a few other bits from the article without violating T&C's on copyright? Perhaps if a few other people with AWST access did the same we could get the gist of the story without infringing?

LEE.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebozeian
reply to post by FredT

Mmmm... nice signature Fred.

Any chance you could copy paste a few other bits from the article without violating T&C's on copyright? Perhaps if a few other people with AWST access did the same we could get the gist of the story without infringing?

LEE.

I owe it all to you

No, I cant add much more thats why a paraphrased it.. Im just enought of a nut to subscribe to AWST which you may imagine is much more than People or US weekly and so thier sites are subscriber only. Givent he limitations we find ourselves in terms of quoting material I dont think I can do more

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by BLV12
It's actually a 5th generation fighter they are going to develop.
It's called the F3 ShinShin.

They are looking beyond thier 5th gen effort and may even leapfrog it depending on development times.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sliceNodice
Directed energy weapons O.o woah. The US needs an entire jumbo jet to house its direct energy weapons system. Looks like the CIA needs to ramp up its espionage efforts over in Japan.

Well, technically, certain modes of operation that radars have could be classified as "directed energy weapons" - albeit they are not designed to be a weapon... but with the way meta-materials are advancing, it wouldn't surprise me to see radars operating on the principles of masers (radar-lasers... pretty much the same thing, different wavelengths involved).

That said, their sights are set pretty high, and somewhat self-conflicting. You can only be so stealthy when you are being an omniscient networking god of aerial mayhem. Methinks this is politicians setting goals for things they don't understand. Politics doesn't suffer from cultural barriers, strangely enough.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

I wonder if the 'Drone Wingman" will figure into that somewhat. if you offload some fo the networking activites to the drone plus its sensor take etc, it may improve the mother ships survivability.

They also mentined fly by light to eliminate jamming possibilites. I never gave much thought to fly by wire systems being able to be jammed.......

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
hey good post and dont be offended but why are you so crap at spelling...just askin

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sputnik45
hey good post and dont be offended but why are you so crap at spelling...just askin

WHy would I be offended at such a polite question?

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

"Fly by light" is probably a translation hickup - I would imagine they are talking about controlling the drone with light emissions. IR would not be difficult to use and not all that dissimilar from commercial technologies (Havoc Heli! - or Picoo Z, whichever marketing name you're familiar with). The only problem is that these don't work too well in the day, and everyone you would want to be hiding from is going to have equipment designed to search you out.

They could used UV - at the risk of atmospheric interference.

In either case - they are looking at a network-intensive platform that is going to have to be sending a lot of information to something. Basic laws apply - hiding while simultaneously communicating is generally ill-advised.

Of course, if they are packing around lasers and photon cannons, I'm not so sure they care who knows they are there. What are we going to do? Fire a missile for them to shoot down?

Nah, we've got the Aigaion sitting in that new hangar out at Area 51 - pssh, lasers - we've got cluster-cruise missiles of kill-you on a flying aircraft carrier. We'll swat you AND your pesky drone out of the sky!

Note: that last part was not intended to be anything but jest - for those out there who will start taking that as some kind of serious statement.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
reply to post by FredT

"Fly by light" is probably a translation hickup -

Could it be referencing the use of fiber optics as a control mechanism, as opposed to electrical? That's the impression I got, which seems to make sense. It would be much harder to mess with an aircrafts fiber optic signals than electrical signals. I'm not sure, but just a suggestion

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

I'm not aware of anything approaching the capability to jam such a system. The system's nominal voltages are rather large and difficult to induce over the distances involved. Furthermore, we already use shielding systems to prevent interference from local sources - such as the electrical generators, radar, jamming equipment, etc. You're more likely to jam your own aircraft's FbW than anyone else is.

The only thing I can think of that would mess with your aircraft like that is the EMP from a nuclear reaction. In which case - you're going to need more than fiber optics to be 'immune.' Your motors and electric generators will be fried by that without being properly shielded.

They could be talking about using fiber-optic data buses and/or "photon computers" - new technology sitting right on the horizon with advances in meta-materials. Essentially - it's standard semiconductor 'electronics,' simply with light replacing electrons (it's more than that, but many of the principles are similar). But I don't see it making them easier to jam. Usually, all you are going to jam is external - since that stuff is designed to be sensitive enough to pick up information from long distances.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Given the length of time modern war planes take to develop if this project gets off the ground I will have grey hairs by the time the aircraft enters service . Really its another high tech expensive design that can't be mass produced . By the time elected leaders and other people wake up to this fact if they ever do it will be far to late .

Cheers xpert11.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join