It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paster cancels Quran burning

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Since the Islamic plan is to absorb whole cultures and convert them by Sharia compliance and/or by the edge of the sword anyway, it only reveals their actions and intentions by burning Qurans. Some would argue that even though it brings out the terrorists and hard core Muslims, it also has the effect of waking up a sleeping world to the reality of the war that is actually being waged among us all, even if at times it is quietly working it's tentacles into every society. A good reading of the Quran will tell you that, living among the enemy, growing in numbers, and waging Jihad, are the methods to use to conquer the world. So the war gets going now instead of when Iran gets fully armed with Nukes. We all find out now rather than later what the real deal is. What the real plan is. When the Qurans burn we all learn. I don't approve of burning them, and I would not do it. But then someone will do it anyways to get the fires burning for all to see.

edit on 10-9-2010 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mykahel
reply to post by infinite

There's a difference between people claiming to be Christian and attacking people/buildings, and Muslims killing innocent people in the very name of their religion for the glory of their god.

If that isnt enough, look at the numbers. Your argument holds no water what-so-ever.

Ah "claiming to be Christians" but you don't use that phrase in relation to Muslims. You readily generalize Muslims, but not Christians. And, if you look at the numbers, Christians linked terrorists are responsible for widespread violence. Recall the massacre in Lebanon, in the 1980s, by a Christian militia? Yugoslavia was Orthadox Christians carrying out genocide on innocent Muslims. That was all done in the name of Christianity and God.

Clearly, you are either blind to history or deliberately ignoring facts to spread bigotry.

Edit: I dont agree with the Ku Klux Klan either, but as long as they arent hurting anybody or breaking any laws, they can do and say what they want.

WTF?! lol your ignorance is amazing. You are aware the KKK have been involved in bombings and shootings? Is that not breaking the law or hurting anyone? Might want to remove that comment. Many members of ATS will be shocked by that sweeping statement.

Especially seeing three innocent children were murdered, in a Church bombing, in the 1960s by the Klan.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

for some reason your post brings me to a comment my husband made after we were traveling and happen to admire the architectural beauty of a building that later we found out it was a Mosque closes to our neck of the woods.

My husband out of nowhere said "very soon they will be all over", I looked at him and say "no a chance" taking into consideration that our neck of the woods is nothing but full of Christian Churches

Now I see your point very clear . . .

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

It is double standards.

One member, above, just stated the Klu Klux Klan has never broken the law or killed anyone. Majority of Americans are unaware of the massacre's in the former Yugoslavia, which were backed by the Orthodox Christian Church. This happened twice. Recall the Kosovo war?

Hundreds of thousands of innocent Muslims were murdered in systematic ethnic cleansing..Just for being Muslims.

But alas, majority of those in this thread refuse to focus on incidents such as above because it ruins the mindset that all Muslims are terrorist and Islam should be banned.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Ah, but here is the same generalization of the KKK that you claim I am making of Muslims. I have said numerous times throughout my different posts that I recognize that not all Muslims adhere to the literal/extreme understanding of the Quran.

Surely there re members of the KKK that are just racist and have done no actual harm to anybody.

Let's not play the numbers game with lives lost as a result of violence in the name of this or that. Islamic attacks take the cake every time by a long shot.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

So what is the difference between flag burning and book burning?

For some reason I feel a difference and I can sum it up with the following: burning a symbol (a flag) is burning an effigy - burning something that merely symbolizes something, some idea.

On the other hand, burning a book is not burning a symbol, it's burning real meaning, real information, real history - effectively erasing it.

Burning books, no matter how offensive they are to you (anyone), is destroying the information. Burning a flag is burning something that has no other value than to symbolize something. Sure, books can symbolize things, but the Quran, like the Bible, is not a talisman. In fact, treating it as one - essentially fetishizing it - imbues it with supernatural powers that are anathema to the teachings held with in. (Worshiping false idols, anyone?)

There are no teachings in the flag itself other than the amorphous mythology that is held collectively by the society where that flag is used. That's mythology that is unwritten, and as such, changes from person to person. However, a book is a tome of cultural information that might be interpreted differently, but cannot be totally made up as the source is always there to check - that is, of course, provided that the last of that book is not burnt.

Burning a cross seems similar. You're burning a symbol.

So, in short -

Burning cross. Check.
Burning flag. Check.
Burning any other symbol. Check.
Burning books. No-no. They are not symbols.

Caveat. The Quran in this case was a symbol to the church that was going to burn it. However, in burning it they were literally going to burn the culture. On the other hand, in Pakistan (for example) when an American flag is burned, no information is lost, though they see it as a symbol.

I'm no absolutist, so I would like to hear other people's thoughts on this. I feel a hole in my logic and I would like to hear your opinions because I can't quite verbalize it.

**Note, I abhor the idea of burning books on a personal level. However, I'm a book-hoarder, so maybe that's why.

**Burning a flag, in my opinion seems more abstract and, though I would never do it, I don't feel any sort of emotion from seeing one burnt. Seeing books burning, on the other hand, seems very lamentable.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
At least Americans don't back down to terrorist threats.What a joke. So in short he was unable to exercise his right as an American for fear of being attacked by terrorist. George Washington would be proud.

I mean, this guy backed down on his own accord, regardless of threats, because he is inherently a pussy. He wanted people following him and thought a good ol book burning would get people riled up, give him some power, but when he got the wrong type of attention he cowered in a corner.
This is a man with no backbone, and they've existed since the beginning of time... No one is forcing him to not burn these books. It's even within his rights. This guy is just a fraud.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Hi IS able to exercise his right to fire. No one is stopping him.

The statement was made that people here WANT him to have the fire.
My statement was in response to that ... we'd rather he didn't but we defend his right.
I don't see why you are arguing. (Just cruising for a fight??
)

Islam = terrorist attacks, huh? Interesting bit of propaganda there...

Just the truth. Radical Islam = terrorist attacks. I posted the facts. It's there.

Some of you are trying to blame Obama for this!

Not me. Unless he tries to stop the book burning. He should just stay out of it.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
One Christian, effectively silenced.

I am just SO thrilled.

Who's next?
Cartoon network, Danish Cartoonist, Salmon Rushdie, Cartman...

What the heck does cartoon network have to with this?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
reply to post by 375610

I think it goes to show atheists are nothing like you make them out to be. I know plenty of atheists and religion is such a non-issue to them that they would never speak out against ANY religion in such a way as this because it only lends credence to the idea that religion is valid. The only time atheists (the ones that I know at least) get peeved about religion is when people try to shove it down their throats and denigrate them for being an atheist.

Typical, just get off the soap box and stop preeching to me about the joys of atheisim and how much better you guys are than everyone. So get over it im not going to convert so stop trying to shove your non-religion down my throat. Whats next you going to start knocking on doors every sunday?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
To my surprise, christians in my hometown have done the exact opposite of this.

And where I live in the south, you don't EVER hear of this.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

A christian church has posted a sign, WELCOMING the new Islam worshiping center right next door,
and not only that, when the new Islam center saw the sign, they even contacted the Christian church about letting them worship inside their church! on ramadan. and they agreed. amazing.

and as sad as this sounds, i'm willing to bet the only reason the two are acting like they're helping each other out is financial. they probably made a business deal together and are just playing it off like it's some love fest.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by 375610
Shame on both of you. For one homosexuality is in no way blasphemy or a bad thing.

No
shame on you for portraying a lie
to the public that Jesus was gay.

If you wanna get porked
that's you're choice
but don't force that [snip]
on my beliefs.

Jesus was not gay
and he spoke about it
in the Bible as being wrong
and even destroyed
a city over it.

What you serve is a lie.

What if he was gay? Jesus did not really touch on the topic of homosexuality, even if he did it would not matter.

"let he who is without sin, cast the first stone"

And then Jesus threw no rocks,why? Because he himself could have been gay and was probably black.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

Considering that books are mass-produced, and that we are not talking about an "original" or "special", specific book...I disagree. I don't think there is a difference any more than me printing out the Koran from my computer and burning the printer paper.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
any time in history that someone burned books, he was always remembered as a bad person who wanted to change history, and it was never a positive thing. personally i like books more than people, books don't lie, books don't get jealous or angry, a book will never betray you. a book is much easier to read, something you can understand. a book never changes. truth is i would rather see people burned than books.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Hi IS able to exercise his right to fire. No one is stopping him.

Sure people (and groups) are stopping him. Any phone calls from powerful officials are threats, much like if a police officer calls you at home and "asks" you to take down a sign you have hung outside. That call tells you that at least one police officer is paying attention...maybe more. It tells you that he/they don't like what you are doing. You already know that they can screw with your life if they wish. It also tells you they know who and where you are. No different than a collection call is a threat. Then, you have an entire religion pissed off and marching against your plan. I'm sure there was much discussion in those groups about killing the man...and I would assume he knows that also. Etc., etc., etc.

Staring someone in the face and smashing your fist into your other hand (intimidation) means the same as saying "I'm gonna beat your ass" (threat).

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
OK so the pastor cancels the book burning yet these people didn't get the message?? This just points out exactly what your dealing with here, Neanderthals, animals, in my opinion thats how they act. Nothing came about of the book burning yet they are content to destroy the flag anyway, just like they will attack us anyway they cannot stand us and it's time we realize that.
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

While I am aware that Christianity is not better than Islam when it started with decades of oppression, Islam is becoming exactly what Christianity was when they were trying to dominate the world.

KKK just like a any supremacy group they just never die they stays under ground but due to their reputation will never take center state ever again, US is too full of diversity for that.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
OK so the pastor cancels the book burning yet these people didn't get the message?? This just points out exactly what your dealing with here, Neanderthals, animals, in my opinion thats how they act. Nothing came about of the book burning yet they are content to destroy the flag anyway, just like they will attack us anyway they cannot stand us and it's time we realize that.
www.foxnews.com...

Referring to them as Neanderthals is, I think, a bit understated. They are evil just as their religion is evil. But then again...all religion is evil. How can any one man, or all men, take something that is supposed to be the will of a God and interfere with it? Everything we screw with...we f!@k up. Religion is like nature...you take it or leave it. You don't try to make it better, interpret it, re-define it, modernize it or anything else. Religion, in my opinion, shouldn't be practiced in groups, in buildings (church, mosque, etc.)...it should be your own, "personal relationship" with your God. And never a reason to hate or kill. But there again, is where man comes in.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Exactly, they get to do it, and on top of that they get to broadcast beheadings of westerners but Americans just get to walk with their tails between their legs.

Now I am feeling quite angry . . . and I dare anybody that tells why I should not be with a good explanation.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Oh trust me all the anti American- Americans will be here in short order, they seem to travel in flocks. What you say is true we have become too nice and welcoming, I dare them to bring their attacks here as this is why we have the right to bear arms, to destroy people that want to destroy us. I thank everyone in the military for what they do and are doing. But as has been shown the "peaceful" religion of muslims is not so peaceful and don't say oh it's just a couple thousand that doesn't represent the whole populace. Well this was just one pastor that wanted to burn books. And now the mosque thing has also developed into if it doesn't get built there then violence will ensue. That right there should state what the religion is all about.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join