It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Korea suspiscious over US refusal to accept rifle importation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

A Korean government official said, "It's difficult to understand why the U.S. opposes the deal now, when we already shipped tens of thousands of these firearms to the U.S. in the early 1990s. We are trying to grasp the real underlying cause of this reversal through diplomatic channels." He added that because these firearms were originally made in the U.S., selling them back needs approval from Washington. Source

This deal isnt new or special. Several similar deals have been made over the decades. This specific deal was approved last August and now suddenly stopped by the US citing superfluous and phantom reasons similar to the vague and all-purpose threat of "terror."

A U.S. State Department spokesman told Fox News on Wednesday, "The transfer of such a large number of weapons... could potentially be exploited by individuals seeking firearms for illicit purposes."

Related thread

So what's the real reason? You;d think the gov would love the chance to tax a sale of this magnitude to the nations FFL's. None of these rifles are of the EBR type the gov hates so much. Collectors eat them up. Gang bangers and terrorists dont run around with M1's from WWII, Garands or carbines.

So is there a real reason or is the completely absurd and irrational fear of "terror" the real reason?

To add, if "terror" was the real reason why can I go out an buy a crate of imported SKS's at this very moment?

edit on 9-9-2010 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
The quantity and price of these weapons are a plausible excuse for the idea of not adding cheap firearms to circulation in the US. The fact is that it would be a drop in the bucket under those pretenses.

More likely is the fact that the present administration is simply working towards reducing the availability of firearms for simple political reasons.

One thing to note is that a good quality M1A (civilian version of the M14) costs about 1500 to 2000 dollars. The addition of 100,000 cheap rifles called M1 to circulation would reduce profit margins in specific circles.

(note: the M1 garand and the M1A are not the same weapon)

edit on 9-9-2010 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I think that the present administration is dragging their feet on this because they are perceived as a patriot's rifle since they have been carried in so many of our wars. It is a hero's rifle from WW2- Korea and even a few in Vietnam and now presently some are fielded in Afghanistan.

It is perceived I think as a potential boon for cheap sniper rifles that are rugged and reliable. I personally think that is pure nonsense but I think that best describes the thought process behind the decision.

I think Com-Bloc weapons are perceived by older patriots as cheap and dirty and the weapon of the enemy. For this reason most would want to obtain the US made war iron when it is available for a good price.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Simple really they want to reduce civilian fire arms in circulation . No brainer .

new topics

top topics

join