It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vitamin B Is Revolutionary New Weapon Against Alzheimer's Disease

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I found this to be useful information with a touch of relief regarding ability to slow the shrinking effect of our brains as we age. MCI -Mild Cognitive Impairment ( I knew there was a name for what I suffer
)
My grandmother suffered from Dementia so this news is encouraging for me. People with MCI experience a more rapid shrinking of the brain. When we hit 60, the nromal shrinkage takes away up to half a percent of our brain per year.
I personally started taking a B complex 2 years ago and noticed a significant difference in my cognitive abilities and energy levels. I am one who sometimes forgets what the heck I am saying in mid sentence, and since taking the vitamins, this does not happen anymore.

The research showed that large doses of the supplement could halve the rate of brain shrinkage – a physical symptom associated memory loss and dementia in the elderly.
The effects were so dramatic that the scientists behind the work believe it could revolutionise the treatment of the disease.

Brain shrinkage or atrophy is a natural part of ageing but it is known to be accelerated in people with Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) – a kind of memory loss and forgetfulness – and Alzheimer's.
Scientists at the University of Oxford conducted a trial on 168 people and found that taking high doses of three vitamin B supplements every day reduced brain shrinkage associated with dementia by up to 53 per cent.

They said the results were so strong that it should open up a debate as to whether the tablets should be prescribed to everyone with MCI – half of whom develop Alzheimer's disease.

It suggests simply taking vitamins can achieve results that have so far evaded pharmaceutical companies, despite millions of pounds being spent on experimental dementia drugs.
The brain naturally shrinks in volume as we get older and when you get to 60, it is shrinking by as much as half a per cent a year.
But in those with MCI it is accelerates to one per cent a year and in Alzheimer's Disease by 2.5 per cent a year. This is accompanied by severe memory problems, slower thoughts and confusion.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Here is the actual supporting research work:
www.plosone.org...

Over a period of two years, half were given a daily tablet containing high doses of the B vitamins folic acid, B6 and B12. The rest received a "dummy" placebo pill with no active ingredients.
At the end of the trial the effects of the vitamin treatment were found to be dramatic, and most pronounced in participants who started out with the highest rates of brain shrinkage.
On average, taking B vitamins slowed the rate of brain atrophy by 30 per cent, and in many cases reductions was as high as 53 per cent were seen.
Prof Smith said: "This is a very striking, dramatic result. It's much more than we could have predicted.

Here are some other things B vitamins help with too:

The B vitamins may be necessary in order to:
Support and increase the rate of metabolism
Maintain healthy skin and muscle tone
Enhance immune and nervous system function
Promote cell growth and division, including that of the red blood cells that help prevent anemia
Reduce the risk of pancreatic cancer - one of the most lethal forms of cancer[1] - when consumed in food, but not when ingested in vitamin tablet form.[2][3]

en.wikipedia.org...

Some natural sources for B vitamins include- "B vitamins are particularly concentrated in meat and meat products such as liver, turkey, and tuna.[12] Other good sources for B vitamins are whole grains, potatoes, bananas, lentils, chile peppers, tempeh, beans, nutritional yeast, brewer's yeast, and molasses. Marmite and Vegemite bill themselves as "one of the world's richest known sources of vitamin B". (Wiki)

spec

edit on 9-9-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: modification

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
S&F! Nice find.
I am going to try it.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Some advice for you:
Tumeric is also believed to slow down AD. The spice is widely used in India and they have low rates of AD.
Ibuprofen also may be of great benefit,however it raises your blood pressure.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Thanks for the reply butcherguy! I noticed a significant difference immediately....

spec

reply to post by RRokkyy

Hey RRokkyy, I appreciate the info and after looking up Tumeric, it does seem beneficial in many areas, one being an anti-inflammatory. Thank you!

spec

new topics

top topics

join