It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laws of Physics Vary Throughout the Universe, New Study Suggests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Laws of Physics Vary Throughout the Universe, New Study Suggests

www.sciencedaily.com

"The implications for our current understanding of science are profound. If the laws of physics turn out to be merely 'local by-laws', it might be that whilst our observable part of the universe favours the existence of life and human beings, other far more distant regions may exist where different laws preclude the formation of life, at least as we know it."

"If our results are correct, clearly we shall need new physical theories to satisfactorily describe them."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
It's not exactly a huge difference:

"It varies by only a tiny amount -- about one part in 100,000 -- over most of the observable universe, but it's possible that much larger variations could occur beyond our observable horizon," Mr King said.

... but still. Imagine the implications of everything if this were true.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

Thanks for that. It confirms what I've always thought was the case that locality determines the quantum as well as the observation.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
makes me wonder. what if the size of some of the larger dinosaurs were a byproduct of us passing through a region of space that had different laws of physics that would let them grow to that size?

interesting stuff.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
This reminds me of Rupert Sheldrake questioning whether the speed of light, flatly postulated as being a constant (like some unquestionable religious tenet, almost - "Jesus was not an octopus!") might have varied in the past, or varies locally now...he was mocked by various herd-animal scientists...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

Wow. Amazing. Incredible. Great find. S&F

Do the laws of physics vary from place to place, time to time? ...Makes perfect sense to me. Of course, predictability would then require ascertaining need, and answering the question, "Need for what?"

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I've been theorizing for the last few years that the properties of light may vary over billions of light years/billions of years. This is important because astro-physicists have concluded that our universe is expanding because light appears to be stretched out (red shifted).

But if light's properties naturally red-shift over billions of years (something they would not be able to experimentally test for) then we might be reaching the wrong conclusions about the expansion of the Universe.

This could be further complicated if laws of physics change slightly over vast areas of space.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
First, I'm amazed that a topic like this has so little posts...

What struck me about this was a while back, I'm pretty sure it was in the Terra Papers (there's mention of it in at least one thread here, and I'm sure someone will know exactly what I'm talking about). It was about a group of humans who went to Zeta Reticula on board the ship that allegedly landed at Holloman. It was mentioned that the humans there had a hard time because the laws of physics were different over there. At the time I raised an eyebrow and pretty much stopped reading.

Now I wonder...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ajmusicmedia

There was all that Serpo, Project Serpo material... at serpo.org...where they had 12 military who went supposedly to Zeta Reticuli...I very much enjoyed reading it...it seemed to become unfashionable suddenly...I don't remember the Holloman AFB bit, but, could this be the same as what you mention?

This site is intended to facilitate the gradual release of confidential documents pertaining to a top secret exchange program of twelve US military personnel to Serpo, a planet of Zeta Reticuli, between the years 1965-78.

edit on 10-9-2010 by nine-eyed-eel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I have thought for some time , that if large concentrations of gravity, such as those surrounding quantum singularities , are capable of slowing light , and entirely stopping its escape, then perhaps there is a case for light speeds being variable dependant on some factor we are not yet aware of.
I believe that its thinking like that expressed by the kind of science which came up with this new study, which will turn out being the key to the next layer of discovery in the feild.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Does this mean for example there could be a a planet as large as 100 of our suns, and the people living on it could be the size of earth? Or that when you jump you actually fall, and when you throw something left it goes right?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

Now you are reminding me of the one where gravity doesn't pull you in, but rather, empty space pushes you away...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

Good one. xD

So can someone explain to me exactly what sort of laws would be different?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Metaphysics has been saying this for thousands of years...

there are many different correspondences, many densities, many vibrational levels,
many octaves...all throughout the cosmos...

in the Aetheric realm there are universal laws, yes... but that's not the way of physics,

for example water reaches a boiling point under different atmospheres, pressures, salinity.
so in just that example different localities produce a variety of H2O physics.

see this link:

+Planet Earth and Human Beings have existed in the Third Density (3D) since the dawning of the first ancient civilization on this planet. [...]
Through the influence of the changing Galactic Spacetime Fields, the Earth’s vibration is NOW changing from Third Density to Fourth Density, and all life on it must resonate with the new 4D energies to remain within its changing Biosphere...

interdimensionalscience.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

I would imagine that the main differences would be in terms of thermodynamics, speed of light, and the strengths of bonds between atoms within a molecule, and particles within atoms, like electrons ,neutrons, and so on and so forth.
For instance, here on earth, theres a pretty healthy relationship between the atoms which make up water molecules, but (and this is an example, and probably a terrible one) on a planet which is in a region of space where physics behaves differently, water molecules might be an impossibility due to some variation in the force which allows hydrogen and oxygen to bond , preventing the formation of H2O. On the other end of the scale, there may be a place in space where water can only form as a solid, except rather than being temperature related, it may be that the forces which control the bond between the atoms in water, are actualy magnified many hundred times, meaning that water might exist as a solid , like granite does , or like steel maybe!
The possibilities are staggering, and utterly bonkers as well by our standards !
Liquids which might freeze here on earth, might be gaseous on other worlds in other conditions. There may be places in space where speed of light is so altered that you can actualy see waves of radiation float slowly and majesticaly (well three hundred miles an hour) outward after a flare,rather than just knowing its there.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
It's not exactly a huge difference:
It may not vary at all as I explained in the original thread this one duplicates.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And I think we should note from the article:

A preliminary version of the paper is currently under peer review.

The previous paper by Chand et al was peer reviewed in 2004 and then found to have problems in 2007. This preliminary paper hasn't even been peer reviewed yet and the topic still needs a lot more scrutiny by other teams confirming the observations and a closer look at the methods such as was done with the Chand et al paper where it actually took 3 years to find the errors after publication.

This thread at physicsforums discusses this topic and it's a pretty enlightening read: www.physicsforums.com...

In particular this poster compares the paper to the paper about the accelerating expansion of the universe and explains why this paper is not so compelling: www.physicsforums.com...

But there are many other interesting observations about the paper and the topic in that thread.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
And somewhere in the universe someone is asking on a forum if it could really be possible that there is one common set of laws of physics throughout the universe? One grand unifying theory..

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by 21st century man
And somewhere in the universe someone is asking on a forum if it could really be possible that there is one common set of laws of physics throughout the universe? One grand unifying theory..

true enough, but that alien individual most likely sprang forth from the elements created in a super Nova some 10 billion years before he sits there pondering such high intellectual thoughts.

but the aliens that may correspond to our concept of life sure would not be evolving in a Black Hole event horizon... the physics there are not complementary to developing our class of matter let alone lifeforms.

i actually think the paper that i haven't read has to do more with possible Bizarro Worlds in strange places like Star Nurseries in Nebulas etc

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
The instances that we know about laws of physics may change.. But we do not know the fundamental classes, we only know the instances about them as we observe them. Not really surprising to me.

-v

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
nvm , I have a similar thread posted some time ago ...mods please delete this post.
edit on 9/11/10 by Thill because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join