It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Beaten to Death After Wedding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
81 year old George Baker III was beaten to death, by three teens, while walking to the restaurant where the reception for his Granddaughter's wedding was to take place. This happened in in Virginia over the weekend. Now, senseless events like this happen every day in our world, but the thing that got me about this beating, is the possible motive behind the attack.

One of the other teens who were with the attackers stated the following, "that the suspects were trying to impress a girl they were with."

Wow! What is this world coming to? When I was a kid, if we wanted to impress a girl, it usually involved an act that embarrassed ourselves, or we did something that risked injury...but to beat an elderly man to death? Seriously?

Anyway, here is the link...may Mr. Baker rest in peace. Have a good rest of the week everyone! (Mods, please move if this is the wrong area for this thread.)

AZ Central Article (Source)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
lol ... to impress a girl?

sometimes I think there are like 2 human species in this planet ...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

I could not believe it either. I had to post it due to how absurd it was!

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MarshMallow_Snake

So it wasnt actually AFTER a wedding it was BEFORE a wedding, should prob change that bro...

As to the OP, this is sick,

1. What kind of coward do you have to be to beat up an old man.

2. What kind of children are we raising that could even have the STOMACH to beat an old man without going home and promptly doing themselves in after wards? My conscience would eat me alive.

3. Kids have always done foolish things, but they seem to be getting worse........why? Is it lack of direction? Lack of parenting? The emotional nullification from internet and TV?

All of the above in my opinion, this is the price we pay for technology when you dont actually PARENT your kids........

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Hopefully these teens will end up in adult prison. Then they will get a chance to be the girl and find out how impressive violence can be.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

So it wasnt actually AFTER a wedding it was BEFORE a wedding, should prob change that bro...

Musn't get picky- the title was accurate.
The article shows that it was AFTER the ceremony, but BEFORE the reception.
The ceremony, rather than the reception, is the real heart of a wedding.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
All of the above in my opinion, this is the price we pay for technology when you dont actually PARENT your kids........

Well, he was on the way to the reception. I take it you're not married, as anyone who's ever been married, or even just been to a wedding, knows the reception takes place after the wedding ceremony. So it wasn't actually BEFORE the wedding, but rather AFTER... probably shouldn't change that bro...

I agree however, with your opinion stating this is the price we pay for not actually parenting our children. I will make no bones about it. I am a paranoid individual. I loath (and fear) the educational system, and the engineered social structure of today's teen society. All my parental efforts aside, I can see the overall lack of effectiveness of my own children as a result of the summation of our technological crutches.

You may be interested in reading:
The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future (Or, Don't Trust Anyone Under 30)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

You are sort of right...the wedding had taken place, but the reception was not over yet. My understanding was that it was after the wedding ceremony, but before the reception, and the man was walking from the place where the wedding was to the restaurant where the reception was to take place:

"Friends and family continue to mourn a Tempe man who was beaten to death in Virginia earlier this week after he attended his granddaughter's wedding, police said.

Three teenagers attacked George Baker III, 81, on his walk to a restaurant following the wedding ceremony Sunday night." - taken from the source Source

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Really, it doesn't matter if it was before or after the wedding a man lost his life in such a stupid senseless way.

It makes me sad to read things like this, an 81 year old man who probably lived through so much and deserved to pass away safe and happy in his home, or a home of a loved one has his life snatched away by 3 stupid kids trying to act tough in front of a girl. If that was my grandfather those 3 would be in for something....

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Faiol's comment really struck me - it sometimes DOES seem like there are two human species operating on this planet.

But I think it's that early childhood trauma is a lot more widespread than reported. The only abuse I got was physical/verbal from my older brother, but at least my parents were fine. Lots of kids don't have it nearly so well - their own parents can shatter that sacred trust between parent and child. I don't really understand it too well, but I can imagine what kind of longterm impact that must have.

I'm sure the vast majority of them have developed coping mechanisms through social interaction, but these seeds of pure insanity that were implanted during trauma must still be latent. I'm guessing the kind of sick **** like what happened in the OP, and maybe also that kid who got doused with petrol and set on fire for ratting out a friend, is a result of this kind of early childhood trauma.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
That is really a sad story. It needs addressing by way of a long prison sentence.

I live in a small college town where random beatings are happening at least 10 times a month. Last summer there were over 30 severe attacks (thumping's) on a quarter mile stretch of bike path. No one has been killed yet, but almost all of them are hospitalized from ... Severe brutality, and most are left unconscious and bleeding with their possessions intact.

The attackers are in threes and fours, different ethnicity's almost every time. The only common denominator is that they are between 20 and 30 years old.

edit on 9-9-2010 by Tribble because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MarshMallow_Snake

Do we have any information about the race of Mr. Baker and that of his assailants?

I'm thinking that, instead of "no motive" being the reason for the incident, that there might be the usual underlying racial hatred involved...hmmm...anybody seen photos of the personnel ?

This video...the link is to wdbj7.com...shows Mr. Baker was an elderly white man, but no pictures of his attackers...which I would expect in the 13-year-old's case, since he will stay in the juvenile law mode, but the other two are going to be tried as adults, evidently...

edit on 9-9-2010 by nine-eyed-eel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
AFAIC those are 3 individuals that don't need to exist on this planet anymore.

They need to bring back death by firing squad and telivise it on tv.

I'm so disgusted right now.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

There is a video on the source page that shows an older Caucasian man, who I assume is Mr. Baker. The article did not give any more info on the perps. I am sure if you go to the local VA newspaper site, it would probably have some though.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Reply to post by Faiol

At least two.

The massive deviation in what is acceptable even among people who grew up on the same street with the same family incomes and went to the same schools and by all rights are essentially socio-economically identical really can't be explained any other way.

A different species entirely. They look like us, talk like us and even claim the same beliefs at us but at the end of the day 95% of us aren't going to beat an old man to impress a girl or even give the time of day to a girl who would be the type to be impressed by the beating of an old man. And 5% will just go ahead and do it. Not only failing to sense how wrong it is but actually derive joy from the act.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
If I were part of Mr. Baker's family I would do anything I could to keep those kids out of jail. Keep them on the streets, where I could get to them.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
What kind of kids pick on elderly people like this? I guess the same type that abuse them in the retirement homes or the type that rape elderly women.

People are sick; society is growing more ill by the day. So much cruelty and evil in the world.
This man lived though WWII, he lived through a number of changes each decade of his life, in the end some punk kids gang up on him and kill him. Imagine if they had taken the time to speak with him the things they could have learned, instead they waste everything and destroy.

Raist

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
WTF??????
To impress a girl?
Maybe they can impress Bubba by dropping the soap.

Some things just make you so damn

Do kids think before they do anything anymore?

edit on 9-9-2010 by GunzCoty because: Just wanted to see what this new edit thing was lol

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Just to impress a girl? Nice, killed someone just to be the 'alpha male'. We're all just animals.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Society needs to adopt an absolute zero-tolerance for this type of aberrant behavior. The punishment for these types of crimes should be extreme. Those who assault children, the elderly, the disabled or otherwise helpless people should be executed. Bullet in the head, the world is now a better place, end of story. Sadly this won't happen. Some bleeding-heart liberal freak somewhere is saying "It's not the perpetrator's fault. They're a victim of their environment."

I hope one or more members of that elderly gentleman's family avenge this heinous act by hunting down those mangy curs and taking care of business.

new topics

top topics

join