It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History Channel -After Armageddon (embedded)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Hey folks,
Noticed this was not embedded in ATS, so here you go.
Its a good watch actually, some handy knowledge...hopefully we will never need to use this knowledge.

Intro:
A series of scientists, sociologists, and others discuss the events that would unfold from some sort of catastrophic reduction in world population through a pandemic event. It also follows a fictional family whom experiences the starting of the pandemic and the challenges faced as they attempt to simply survive.

Enjoy...I also suggest downloading the movie locally due to youtube being...well...youtube.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Seems to be so many more of these types of shows and movies coming out. 10 years ago I don't ever remember seeing anything with surviving a pandemic, now it seems like every second show is about a disaster or population being reduced.

I do find it interesting, I just honestly think we're being geared up for something. Oh well, if SHTF I will just roll with it and see where it takes me.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by anthbes
Seems to be so many more of these types of shows and movies coming out. 10 years ago I don't ever remember seeing anything with surviving a pandemic, now it seems like every second show is about a disaster or population being reduced.

I do find it interesting, I just honestly think we're being geared up for something. Oh well, if SHTF I will just roll with it and see where it takes me.

I think they are just cashing in on the swine flue, bird flu, mad cow, etc scares...pandemics are now almost pop culture references.

and lets not forget the zombies...Wont someone think about the zombies!

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
What kind of EMT has such a beautiful home in the suburbs? He would be more likely to either have a smaller home in the country or a cramped dengy apartment in the suburbs. It just goes to show how out of touch the History Channel is with reality, especially as it pertains to our reality.

With that out of the way, the people who are best prepared are going to be the ones to make it. Those who are asleep or ignore the possabilities of life after American Idol and Monday Night Football are not going to be able to survive later on. Sadly, it is going to be those people that we will need to take advantage of in order to progress and survive.

Thanks for sharing.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I've got a good friend who's an EMT, and lives in a near-million dollar home in my town's most prestigious neighborhood. If you have any idea what an EMT makes in terms of salary, you realize that nobody becomes an EMT because they have to in order to make a living. EMT's become EMT's because they want to, independent of the compensation involved.

I think you're missing the point here. The character needed a job. This production is merely an illustration of a fictional catastrophe, and how several fictional characters dealt with it. Since you're obviously giving your imagination enough lead line to believe the guy's actually an EMT, why not just imagine that his folks left him this home, or maybe his wife's family is loaded. Maybe they sued McDonalds several years before because his coffee was too hot... The points made, and information provided in this film are not dependent on this characters career choice, nor are they dependent on the home he lives in.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Very good post & video S & F

Look at what happened after Katrina.

I've seen "civilized" people do horrible things to other people just to keep their 9-5 cube job. Even “good” people might resort to inhuman actions in order to survive.

If something happened to upset our civilized world, most people would resort to anything to survive.

We all think nothing is going to happen, life will continue the same old same old.

I saw a program years ago that concerned interviews with some of the survivors of the death camps and one question asked of all of them was, "why do you think you survived while others perished?"

I found it interesting that they all replied, "I blended into the wood work, I became such that I never attracted attention, gave eye contact, or even seemed to exist. I blended in to the point I became almost invisible.

In the video, the commentator said the same thing. That in order to survive, "You would need to be such that people's eyes would roll over you, (not see you).

Another interesting part of the video spoke about being able to tell who really was "official" and who wasn't. Case in point the men masquerading as the National Guard or Police.................

It's a scary thought. Everyone thinks there will always be Whole Foods Market, the police you can call in minutes, clean water, our homes will remain safe and secure, our roads passable.

BUT

If something happened, particularly here in America, most of us wouldn't have a clue as to what to do.

In other countries, like Japan and the Netherlands, at least they have regular civil defense drills.

Here in America, civil defense is almost nonexistent.

A secret underground room, a stash of food, weapons and the basics...........use to be the only people who spoke of such things were "nutters".

I'm a common, ordinary law abiding citizen and I am prepared.

Things have changed drastically all over the planet in the 48 years I have been aware. All it would take is for something to happen, to interrupt the orderly schedule and our civilized structure would melt.

It’s already starting to decay from within.

All it would take to really get things going would be a serious pandemic, nuclear exchange, serious earthquake, biological incident, even a solar storm (the sun burping) in which all our electrical equipment would be fried.

We look at war torn countries and parts of the world that are “primitive” and smugly sit back in our recliners with our big plasma screen TVs and Starbuck coffees and think, well that’s over there.

Not realizing that there is a tiny thin blue line that separates our civilized reality from a primitive reality.

It’s a scary thought.

Not having hot water, a microwave oven, the mall, a car, a safe warm bed, enough food that you have to wrap most of it and refrigerate it, deodorant, soap, wine, a computer, books, flush toilets, garbage pick up, running water, police that patrol our streets, (twice while I was mowing the lawn yesterday), all the rest of the veneer that holds our safe little secure civilized world in check.

It's the simple everyday things most of us take forgranted.

To think it could be changed in the blink of an eye.

The average American wouldn’t have a clue as to how to survive.

And talk about conspiracies, I believe our government likes it like that.

The goons that have sold the rest of us out have underground facilities our tax dollars have paid for. The generals, members of the Congress & Senate, Supreme Court Judges, they are prepared to save their own skins and let the common man fend for himself.

The quote below is from a site I found on the net, very interesting.

650 feet below the plains of midwest Kansas, encased in a solid rock salt cocoon, rests one of the most secure and elusive underground storage facilities in the world.

Our Hutchinson salt mine facility was established in the unused portions of a working mine, during the height of Cold War nuclear concerns, as a safe haven for sensitive information and assets. Since 1959 Fortune 500 companies and small businesses alike have stored here, from every industry, around the world. It is the largest single storage facility for movie and television film internationally.

Safely tucked away from prying eyes and disaster, more than 1.7 million square feet of space holds untold millions of items in cool, dry conditions. That is roughly equivalent to 35 football fields encased in solid stone, more than 45 stories below the ravages of man and nature. That which you value will be preserved here, perpetually. It's called forever storage. It's arguably the world's largest time capsule. Source: www.undergroundvaults.com...

So when Bill Gates decides through the Gates Foundation to invest some $30 million of their hard earned money in a project, it is worth looking at.

No project is more interesting at the moment than a curious project in one of the world’s most remote spots, Svalbard. Bill Gates is investing millions in a seed bank on the Barents Sea near the Arctic Ocean, some 1,100 kilometers from the North Pole. Svalbard is a barren piece of rock claimed by Norway and ceded in 1925 by international treaty (see map).

On this God-forsaken island Bill Gates is investing tens of his millions along with the Rockefeller Foundation, Monsanto Corporation, Syngenta Foundation and the Government of Norway, among others, in what is called the ‘doomsday seed bank.’ Officially the project is named the Svalbard Global Seed Vault on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen, part of the Svalbard island group. Source: www.globalresearch.ca...

I wonder with all Mr. Gate's connections, if he knows something we don't?

edit on 9-9-2010 by ofhumandescent because: .

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

I've got a good friend who's an EMT, and lives in a near-million dollar home in my town's most prestigious neighborhood. If you have any idea what an EMT makes in terms of salary, you realize that nobody becomes an EMT because they have to in order to make a living. EMT's become EMT's because they want to, independent of the compensation involved.

I wasn't implying that EMTs are only EMTs because they have to be or even that it's an entry level job (depending on tech level). However, just because it isn't entry level, doesn't mean that it's low paying. I happen to know a couple of EMTs, one that was an EMT while going through college to be a nurse. I believe that she was the highest tech level and still only made around $50k a year (and I live where salries are higher than average). While $50k seems like a lot, especially to our younger members, it in no way will get you approved for a half to three quarter million dollar home, which is what that appeared to be at the very least, even if you had emaculate credit (though maybe if you put an extremely large down payment on it).

I think that this guy was supposed to be your average American and I can asure you that most EMTs aren't living that large, unless of course they are very good at investing, they have an executive spouse or they had an inheritance.

All in all, it isn't that big of a deal, though it does make one question the accuracy of the rest of the information. Then again, it's the history channel and so doesn't have too much credability anyway.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

As the film states...society is just 9 meals away from complete anarchy.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Looks like another program from the so called History channel. This is so ridiculous I can't even hold my laughter in anymore. A long time ago they were using Nostradamus as a prophet for the book of Revaluation. Now that is sad!

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It's a good documentary that.
I saw it a while ago but it gives a reasonable show of what might happen

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
After watching these videos, seems like its going to be somewhat like a Fallout video game after a while.

Time to look invisible and and butcher those who would seek to do the same to you.

Survival of the craftiest.

ps: He sure had gas for a long time.

edit on 9-9-2010 by Lysergic because: BECAUSE I FELT LIKE IT

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The title of this video is erroneous. If they cant even get that right then why should we trust their information in the video? Yes its good to have survival skills but they sure dosed it up with loads of fear. These sort of movies have been made for decades, they had them for nuclear war in the past. Remember a film called Threads?

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
If you want to see some more after-armageddon scenarios, you should read or watch The Road.

For me it is the most depressing movie I have ever watched, but still I think if something doomlike happens, what you see in the movie is very very possible.

As someone said, we are used to the supermarket, drinking water and gas our cars. Now, with all this super "just-in-time" philosophy, the first to loot the markets and gas stations (and protect themselves with lots of ammo) will be the ones that could survive for some time. The rest will have to fight for it.

Cheers

Jechu

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Awesome posting Saturn! It makes you think. Who are really the lucky ones? The people who survive such a scenario and struggle to build a new world, or those who perish? S & F!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Here is a link to a real interesting site on survival...........enjoy! Hope you all find this helpful.

www.survivalblog.com...

survivalblog.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Negative, negative, negative,,,Fear! fearful, Scary! fearful, nagative, scary, crap!

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Although I agree with Dave above to some degree...

I will be watching this tonight. Another good show is 'Threads' BBC 1984 docudrama about a nuclear holocaust, has lots of factual information thrown in with some really good acting and visualisations of the event. The film takes place spanning two generations, and scared me when I was a kid and still does today. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Thank you!

Altough not applicable to western Europe, still very good.

new topics

top topics

join