It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Institute of Frontier Science "determined to make history"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Yet another UFO group seems to have been established...

The "Institute of Frontier Science" has issued a press release today in which it proclaims:

Unlike any UFO research and education organization ever conceived, the Institute of Frontier Science has opened it's doors. The Institute's goal is to help usher Ufology into the mainstream arena, focus attention on the type of benefits to be realized by Mankind from the study of Ufology, familiarize the public and the scientific community with the high caliber of researchers devoting their time and resources to solving the UFO Phenomena, and raise the credibility of this scientific discipline.
(Emphasis added)

Quite how this group is unlike any previous group "ever conceived" is not clear to me from the press release, or from the website of the "Institute of Frontier Science".

The press release contains some pretty contentious statements. For example, it asserts that "Ufology does also acknowledge that some of the reported sightings are extraordinary and mysterious Unidentified Aerial Phenomena and there is an intelligence in control of these craft".

Umm... not everyone involved in ufology thinks that....

Indeed, if the "Institute" starts off with those views as gospel then it is difficult to see how it can achieve its goal to "raise the credibility of this scientific discipline".

On the positive side, it appears from the website of the "Institute of Frontier Science" that it intends to publish articles following peer review : see HERE.

It seems that the Institute's "journal" was in fact launched in April 2009 and I'm not sure how that ties in with the press release dated today stating that the Institute has now "opened its doors".

It may be that the press release in fact relates to a re-launch, rather than a new group...

All the best,

Isaac

edit on 9-9-2010 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
These people are joking right?
I mean, they surely cannot be serious with this website, right?
I think it's backed by some kind of cult, those smiles and symbols, something stinks with this.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
These folks don't sound all that radically different than the organization that went in to study the Gorman Ranch is Utah do they? Not sure what their angle is but I generally wish them well in finding "definitive" prove of whatever quarry they go hunting for.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

It's an unwieldy beast, from first impressions of the website. I'm reminded of the saying, 'a camel is a horse designed by a committee.'

The mission statements straddle similar sentiments to Exopolitics and reinforce the fragmented nature of what some call the 'ufo community.' Whoever wrote it has used the word 'knowledge' 9 times in a 4-sentence paragraph....poor writing. Going on to criticise "skeptics" seems unnecessary and would alienate such respectable figures as Haines, Clark, Roe, Maccabee, Swords etc.

The Exopolitics, CSETI, ECETI themes of universal brotherhood are suggested in the ideal of ' friendships, relationships,
and opportunities to grow and learn' with something other than humanity. I'm sure we all agree with the sentiment, but let's confirm the existence of visitors before imagining what great friends we'll all be. Bandying terms like 'enlightened,' 'awareness' and 'knowledge' has too many associations with the lunatic fringe and dilutes my optimism for credibility.

I think they should review the contents of the site. It should be redesigned and rewritten to present a more objective, professional and neutral tone. As it stands, the IFS appears to have set itself against a wide cross-section of researchers and exemplifies the internecine politics that cripples their ideal of presenting a credible face of ufology.

NARCAP are a great example of how to do it correctly. There's a vacuum for an organisation to apply itself beyond aviation in an equally credible and rigorous way. IFS could fill the gap if they forget about the ideology and simply focus on the analysis of UFO-related information. Why put the cart before the horse?

I hope they grow into a reputable organisation and enjoy a lot of success.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I don't know if it is a group so much as the work of an individual, "Steven S. Bass, FFSc
Director," listed in the press release. "FFSc" is not any degree I have ever heard of, I assume it means "Fellow of the Frontier Science Institute" or somesuch.

His biography lists no academic credentials, not even a college degree.

But it does not seem fair to call this a cult. He comes across as an earnest, passionate investigator of UFO mysteries, although with a lot of preconceived beliefs.

Still there is nothing wrong with setting up your own Institute and naming yourself a Fellow and a Director. It might be a bit silly and pompous, but not ulterior on its own. Maybe he thinks a formal Institute will be more helpful when dealing with the media or witnesses, who knows.

new topics

top topics

join