It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So You Wanna Fight? ATS Debate Tournament (Tournament Update)

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jennybee35
So, it seems that when I hit preview on my reply screen, it posted my debate post unfinished. I'll have to message Vagabond and ask what can be done!

At least it's all saved on openoffice! WHEW!

That's concerning...I rely on the preview function to check character count...

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Well, it wasn't as disastrous as I had first feared. The whole response did get posted, less my opponent's quotes I was responding to. It looks kinda silly, so I'm hoping to be allowed to insert those quotes for clarification.

My opponent had agreed to wait for a response from Vagabond before posting his closing argument, then decided he didn't want to wait. So, I guess that I am at a disadvantage.

Oh, well. My arguments haven't changed just because the quotes are missing! It is just a bump in the road.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

I wouldn't say you was at disadvantage Jenny, like I said in my U2U; as far as I'm aware when it comes to the closing statements stages the arguments/debates already presented will be judged, with regards to my comments not being included then it's a superficial insignificance.

But if your so inclined, and The Vagabond or otherwise authorized mod has no issue, then edit away as I have no problem with that.

As you have already mentioned, even without my quotes you have still replied with your counter arguments so anyone following the debate will be able to ascertain what your replying too easily enough.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
have finished my round 2 on the JT - thanks to OnceReturned

what about the debate for Rising Against?
anybody stepped in? is spy66 out of the game or what?

edit on Sun, 09 Jan 2011 13:19:00 -0600 by orange-light because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Sorry for the hold up all with mine .. start of this year is pretty full on with me. Getting things out as fast as we can.

Also whoever wrote myself and Westcoast's topic ... I don't wish death upon you or anything but, you know, perhaps a brief passing moment of discomfort. People write entire books on this and never reach a conclusion.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
It's been three weeks since my debate with MemoryShock concluded. It's been almost a week since the last post in the other round three debate.

Can we move this along please?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Can we move this along please?

Would be nice if my second round debate could be posted sometime soon as well. I've been waiting for quite a while now and everyone else is almost finished their match-up.
edit on 12-1-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
just figured out that the vagabond has last been online on december 29 2010
so i am a bit worried by now and shot a u2u to semperfortis
maybe he has more information

and we hopefully can move on

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
*sigh*....I agree with the above few comments. I am ready for this to move on. I enjoy debating, but this is begining to just be more than anyone could bargain for.

@Pinke, I couldn't agree more. The topic, while it has caused me to learn more than I ever wanted about the UN.....well, it has caused me to learn more than I EVER wanted to know about the UN.

It has been four days since my second response in our debate, so although I REALLY would rather have your third response to counter to, I hope you understand that I'm going to go ahead and continue with the debate. It seems that almost all the debates have come to a stall and this is just never going to end if we don't all move forward.

I don't think any of us want to win by default, but we DO need to finish this up.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Yeah I concur, my opponent wants to wait until a mod gives authorization to make a couple of changes to her post but as mentioned above it doesn't look like anyone has stepped in to get the ball rolling. With that being said however, I hope the lack of The Vagabonds absence isn't anything serious...

Mods, help please?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
semperfortis is informed and is going to look into the matter
at least he promised so
and he is a man of honour!

so hopefully we only need to wait just a few more days
and hopefully the vagabond is ok

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
It has been four days since my second response in our debate, so although I REALLY would rather have your third response to counter to, I hope you understand that I'm going to go ahead and continue with the debate. It seems that almost all the debates have come to a stall and this is just never going to end if we don't all move forward.

I don't think any of us want to win by default, but we DO need to finish this up.

From my perspective I see no evidence of moderator input or pressure giving weight to the idea that finishing our debate is going to speed this process at all.

Currently using mobile phone connections and remote desktop sessions through phone to access the internet working 15 hour days. Its not abnormal in my industry and there is the flooding. Am not going to compromise my sleep, health, or the health of others for a competition.

By all means take the free win if its how you want to progress, its within the rules and I will not complain.

I'm busy for at least three more days.

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

the rules for debating say: posting in between 24 hours after the time stamp of your opponent and 1 24 hour extension

usually i have seen no mod pressing the debate to proceed it - and out mod the vagabond is absent since dec 29 2010 - due to the rule the opponent can post after that 24 hour time stamp so he / she can have 2 posts in a row and if you miss the next post as well, debate win on your opponent

but there is no rule that you shouldn.t get a mutual agreement about grace periods
when i did my last debate i was very ill and i talked about that to onereturned and he showed mercy - thanks buddy
- so everything can be sorted out

i hope you are ok pinke - must be horrible being in a flood!

edit on Sat, 15 Jan 2011 04:59:17 -0600 by orange-light because: grace

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pinke

Originally posted by westcoast

From my perspective I see no evidence of moderator input or pressure giving weight to the idea that finishing our debate is going to speed this process at all.

Currently using mobile phone connections and remote desktop sessions through phone to access the internet working 15 hour days. Its not abnormal in my industry and there is the flooding. Am not going to compromise my sleep, health, or the health of others for a competition.

By all means take the free win if its how you want to progress, its within the rules and I will not complain.

I'm busy for at least three more days.

Thank you.

Hey Pinke-

I'm sorry you're so busy and having to deal with flooding. It seems to be kinda crazy everywhere in the world right now!

I certainly don't want to take the 'free win'. I enjoy debating and a good competition, which is why I entered this...not to win by default. That is why I have been waiting for days for a response instead of taking the easy out. There just comes a point though where things need to keep going. If you have read my third response, I really didn't take a win...I repeated the same socratic questions and kept it very short, giving you every opportunity to still win those points.

This is the first time I have done a debate here on ATS, and in preparing looked back over past competitions. It was apparant that the rules were pretty closely followed and debates were often won/loss due to the 24 hr benchmark. I am simply trying to follow the rules while still being a fair competitor.

Our debate started on December 22nd. It is now January 15th. We both agreed to wait until after the holidays and began on Jan. 5th. There have been two periods of 4 days in between posts, with the one alloted 24 hr extension being asked for. I really didn't think I was being mean or unfair to make my third response, I really am sorry if it comes across that way. Perhaps it is my obsessive personality, but it's kinda driving my nutty. When I am in a debate, I think about it often. I am daily looking up more articles, talking about it with family members and constantly checking back to make sure I'm not missing the 24 hr response time. I just don't want to think about this anymore.
At least if it were a nicer topic, it wouldn't be so bad!

We are now to our closing arguements. Since I know what your situation is and that it will be a few days, ofcourse I will be happy to wait for you to have the time to do it right. I have been enjoying our debate and look forward to reading your closing arguement!

Be safe-

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I don't think any of us want to win by default

Personally, I'm here to win. So if anybody wants to resign and let me take the championship, I'm ok with that.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
Personally, I'm here to win. So if anybody wants to resign and let me take the championship, I'm ok with that.

So am I...I think there is a possibility that I may be the Michelle Kwan/Dan Marino of the Debate forum...which is a kudos to you, Sir...but there is still hope...

I'll retake the number one ranking even if I have to pull a few challenge matches in the next year...provided I get topics I can rally around...

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

sure i wanna win too

but on the other hand doing the actual debate is a challenge and excitement i don.t want to miss
it structures the day a bit more
i can learn new subjects
and i learn to argument on a level i didn.t know before
and than the prize for that effort should be the victory of that very debate

i understand westcoast when he thinks that a win by default feels a bit bitter or corny.
you didn.t have to fight for your success.

and yeah mr memoryshock one plan of this year is to challenge you ;D
now i dare it!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Hiya all,

Just being as informative as I can. I'll be posting within the next 24 hours - a bit later than 3 days I think? Can't recall. If westcoast does post in this time, no hard feelings - it is within rules. Did not mean to suggest it wasn't.

Big long nap first but.

Oh just side note for those who were interested ...

Thank you for the concerns! I've been mostly fine - just lacking some sleep. Caboolture isn't really hit so bad in comparison to nearby places which is my region of interest mostly. The bad part of it has really been the uncertainty with friends and getting folks out of dodge.

I've currently inherited a friend's kids, and I'm a pretty useless parent so I'm discovering. Respect to the mommies and daddies out there, but Pinke just isn't made for this yet.

Honestly I'd rather be knee deep in water and glass than trying to get childrens into bed. If anyone has some method of making children unconscious before 10pm I'm totally for it.

Night night.
edit on 17-1-2011 by Pinke because: Status Update

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

Good to hear from you Pinke!! Take your nap and do whatever you need to do, I'll be looking forward to reading your closing arguement!

Take care-

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Sorry all am still not on the ball. Just things keep coming up that are important. It may be best if I withdraw at this stage as my forward planning is just failing.

Thanks for the patience.

new topics

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join