It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So You Wanna Fight? ATS Debate Tournament (Tournament Update)

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

Thanks Vagabond, no pressure regarding the junior tournament, get it running when you can.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillfromCovina
It is strange to read the judges and mods complaining about the demands of this tourny. It doesn't even seem that they are reading or following the rules they set up. The subject matter they pick for topics are very general and whole libraries could be written about them. Why not narrow the subject matter?

Now here comes the sour milk. In my debate my opponent created long posts only to repeat the same thing over and over and call me a racist. He continually tried to sidetrack the debate and didn't answer questions. He thought he was given a gift by the mods because I would never be able to prove 'Nefarious'. He did not even want to define the terms. Why create rules?

In my debate I was given a very broad subject. I tried to keep it simple and short so people would read. I tried to use the Socratic method and lead people in redefining what is a conspiracy and to take that first step. One of the judges stated that I had a convincing argument and didn't like how my opponent kept bringing up racism. The judge states how I could have discussed more on the topic so he gives the nod to my opponent. Again, as I stated before, a whole library could be written on the subject. A total waste of time.

There is no need to be a sore loser. I didn't like the tone of our debate early on and pointed out then, and will do so again now, the importance of setting a good example while posting in this forum. There is no need for nastiness. I would have LOVED to actually debate the topic with you and I was really trying to. I sincerely hope that in the next round, it will go differently.

I am not about to debate our debate now.
Also, I would like to take this one and only post to let you know that I will NOT debate our debate on other threads either, so please don't try to drag it out again. I think it is in poor taste and again a very poor example of how a good debator/fighter here on ATS should conduct themselves.

I am surprised to be reading criticism for the mods and judges. We volunteered to do this for fun. If I win great, if I lose so what? It's suposed to be a fun, learning experience. So thank you to the Mods and judges, you certainly don't owe us anything and I appreciate your taking time away from your life to let us have our fun!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Agreed. No rush what so ever.

We know it's a tough job to do and it takes time to get set up.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Westcoast, everything you say you do the opposite. You said in the debate you did not want to make personal attacks and that is all you did. You now say you will not bring up our debate in other threads and you just linked to our debate in a drunk driving thread.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by BillfromCovina

Ugh...whatever. You just keep talking in circles.

I have no idea what you are talking about, but that is nothing new.
To each his own.

Happy holidays!!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

To each his own.

Happy holidays!!

In the Legalize Drunk Driving thread this is what you posted,
" You, the OP and his couple of backers on this thread must be drinking from the same pot.

Bill post
'By using statistics I can show how people who are sober are more likely to be in and cause a fatal accident than someone under the influence. So by that logic, we should make everyone drive under the influence to cut down on fatalities.'

please.....your 'logic' is about as ridiculous as it gets.

signature:
You have to be open to any possibility in order to grow."

In your original post you linked to our debate in your signature. So I then responded to that. Your link is now missing. You edited it out. It is strange that you could make an edit and it doesn't show up. Happy Holidays

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I would request that this thread not be an airing out for interactions from 'unrelated threads'...

Come on guys...we are better than this...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

I think it is very interesting and telling that Westcoast can make an edit and his post does not show that he made an edit. To me that reveals the truth and fairness of the debates.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Then by all means file a formal complaint.

I think this thread should be devoid of such commentary.

My opinion...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

If it was in his signature, it won't show as an edit, will it?
You can change your signature anytime you want to, you just go to your "tools" and change it there. It's not the same as editing a post.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I want to apologize, because I completely agree. I came back to modify my last comment after thinking about it, but was too late. I should have known that by my saying it shouldn't be done, I was in fact in a way encouraging it.

BillfromCovina....my sig was my sig and had absolutely nothing to do with any posts I was making. It is common to put in a link to the debates. I removed it yesterday after that exchange because I honestly didn't want to connect that thread with this debate forum. (and the debate was over) There was no conspiracy.

I am looking forward to the next round, everyone have a safe and enjoyable holiday!!

(billfromcovina...if you still have an issue, please just u2u me)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

To each his own.

Happy holidays!!

After you attack me in this forum, you then admit to what you did. You say you changed the link yesterday. Why pretend ignorance? In my post I was responding to the mods and judges complaining about the length and trying to word limit the debates. I am also done unless you lie or attack again.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Goodness. I'm not discussing this here. I will u2u you my answer.

sorry guys.

Now....back on topic.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Junior Tournament Round 2 debates are posted. For the sake of ease lets have 24 hour limits take effect after each debater has made his opening statement. Rising Against needs an opponent still then another match will be added.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Rising Against needs an opponent still then another match will be added.

Just giving this thread a bump so people can see this as I'm happy to debate now.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Wait, wait, hold up! I didn't get a u2u informing me of this debate! Help, I just stumbled onto it by accident, and I've already lost 12 hours! Crap, I've gotta shop tomorrow, too.

I'm gonna do my best to meet my deadline. I have waited so long for REAL debate. I have to go read and hope to play catch-up to DeathKron.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

Jenny, I didn't get a U2U about round 2 either, it was only through looking at this thread I realised it had been posted. As long as the mods are happy with it then I'm fairly lax with the time periods as it's christmas eve tomorrow and I also have shopping/associated seasonal stuff to do

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I feel my skills might add to the "show"

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
yeah guys this round 2 of JT has been posted to the most inconvenient time of the year

OnceReturned i am patient, no need to hurry

so take your time and we will all have a wonderful christmas

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Mods,

As a suggestion, if possible, would it be realistic to build in some kind of extension or grace period into the debates? Because as much as I love debating and this site, I don't really plan on sitting on here Christmas day and banging out a 5000 word reply regarding my debate topic, obviously I'm not talking about introducing something that will grind the tournament to a halt but maybe some sort of measure that would at least take into account the time of year?

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join