It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So You Wanna Fight? ATS Debate Tournament (Tournament Update)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/debatechamp.png[/atsimg]

I'm here to announce that the Debate Forum is about to dust itself off and we're opening registration for the next ATS debate tournament!

If you wish to participate, simply state so in this thread. We are looking for approximately 16 competitors. However, the exact number will be determined once registration is closed and we look at the numbers we have.

Preference will be given to our more experienced debaters when assigning seats. We do this because the debate forum is open for those who wish to participate. Our tournaments that take place once or twice a year are an effort from staff to say "thank you" and really offer an environment for the best of the best. If you currently lack the experience that others may have, you can make up for that by involving yourself in the forum.

Registration will close September 17th, 2010 @ 12:00AM PST.

We'l then send out u2u's to everyone who has been selected for participation. They'll have three or four days to respond to the u2u to confirm their participation. Once confirmed, you're in. If you do not confirm with the listed window, which can be found in the u2u sent out at the time, then you will lose your seat and it will be given to the next member in the queue.

Why do we do this?

We usually have 20-30% of participants who have signed up never return and make a single post. Someone reads this and thinks "great!" but doesn't log into the site enough to actually participate.

Important Info...

• The tournament will run for approximately 2+ months.
  • Each debate takes approximately a week or more.
  • An average post in each debate will take at least an hour to put together, or more depending on your approach.

Bottom line, this is a BIG commitment you are making. If you don't believe you can commit, please allow someone else to take the seat.

Forfeitures...

They happen, it is unfortunate. Members who forfeit a debate in our tournaments, or members who forfeit for reasons that go against the spirit of the debate forum, will be penalized by being unable to participate in the following tournament. Real life does step in from time to time and people are unable to continue. That's fine and we completely understand that. We'd never hold that against someone. But measures have been put in place over the years to assist with the number of people who just up and quit.

So again, look at your schedule for the next few months and determine if you have the availability to dedicate a bit of time each day to be involved.

If you can, we want you!

edit on 9-9-2010 by chissler because: fixing coding

edit on 11-1-2010 by chissler because: title

edit on Sun 14 Nov 2010 by The Vagabond because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed, 02 Feb 2011 01:19:17 -0600 by MemoryShock because: Title Addendum.

• posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:48 AM
    link   
    I'm got no experience in the debate forum at all but count me in for this if possible please!

I've always wanted to try it and as far as I'm aware there's no reason why I shouldn't be here ready to participate if chosen...

edit on 9-9-2010 by Rising Against because: Clarification

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:08 AM
    link   
    I have never done this before. But would like to try.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:16 AM
    link   
    I've never done anything like this before but sounds interesting.

I'll take a crack at it! I'm pretty sure I can manage a post a day no problem.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:21 AM
    link   
    Also no experience, but would love to try it!

Count me in as well!!

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:28 AM
    link   
    I would absolutely love to redo my whole diatribe with S-Dog, however I must decline to enter this one, I can't be sure of timetables on things happening and wouldn't want to have to drop out suddenly. I will be watching though ;D

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:30 AM
    link   
    Hey, why not? I would like to give it a try... For me too the first time doing this...
    Tho...

Peace

Jim

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:37 AM
    link   
    I will sign up and gladly participate. Count Proto in please.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:37 AM
    link   
    I never really find anything important enough to reply or comment about... this could be what breaks that. Please count me in if a spot is available, even if I have no experience of debating on this site.

Y2K

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:16 AM
    link   
    Well, I guess Im in for my 3rd go

Had a great run until unforseen events forced me to retire early last tourny (much to s-dogs delight, but he will just say he wouldve beaten me anyway
    )

Hoefully that wont be the case in this instance

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:53 AM
    link   
    reply to post by OzWeatherman

I have every confidence you will do excellent no matter who your opponents are Oz!

I am sure everyone will.

edit on 9/9/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler because: It's a conspiracy site, no one might ever know!

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:19 PM
    link   
    YAY! I'm in!

WOOT!

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:24 PM
    link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
    reply to post by OzWeatherman

I have every confidence you will do excellent no matter who your opponents are Oz!

I am sure everyone will.

edit on 9/9/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler because: It's a conspiracy site, no one might ever know!

Thanks for the vote of confidence

Good luck to you

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:51 PM
    link   
    reply to post by whatukno

Rematch Wukky?

Me and my ego are declaring that we are in.

NOTE: Would it be possible, for all posts in this competition to be TIME STAMPED? My time zone selector has never worked, and always puts me three hours out even if I change it back to GMT. I am apparently in Baghdad! This would also provide a much clearer emphasis on the timing rules in the competition.

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:13 PM
    link   
    I wouldn't mind gettin' down with another debate tournament.

'Bout time we knocked the dust off.

Peace
    KJ

OOOOoooooo, Proto and Oz (just noticed).

Bring it

edit on 9-9-2010 by KrazyJethro because: Wanted to add my mild mannered taunting to my betters...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 04:12 PM
    link   
    reply to post by KrazyJethro

I don't want to say that my first and only debate forum debut led me to decimating my illustrious opponent and taking all four rounds by unanimous decision, but of course unbridled sense of self, and a narcissistic personality that would make even the Greeks who invented the word blush pretty much compels me to!

I won't though be so arrogant to name my opponent Skyfloating, no, I shall not, or do this in a thinly veiled attempt to lure him into the competition!

I am just not that kind of a guy!

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 04:17 PM
    link   
    reply to post by chissler

I might be interested. Are there any spots left?

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:41 PM
    link   
    reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I, personally, enjoy the debate over the winning, although winning them has always been the icing my brain has gotten quite plump from.

I'll see you there.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:07 PM
    link   
    I'm dropping my name into the mix as other staff members have stepped forward to be the driving force behind this tournament.

For those asking about availability, a list of participants will be posted in this thread from time to time. Being on the list doesn't guarantee anything. It just shows that the people assembling the roster have noted your name and your either listed as a participant or on the "waiting list".

The list will be changing right up until the last minute as the more experienced debaters will jump to the top of the list as they sign up and new debaters are on the other end.

Experienced debaters are listed from most to least experienced. New debaters are listed in the order that they signed up in this thread.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:13 PM
    link   
    reply to post by chissler

i have zero experience in the debate forum. but i am on ATS everyday in recent months, and i have the time (unless real life issues trump my aspirations).

what will we be debating? are the sides of our arguement chosen for us, or do we pick our sides?

count me in, if i am deemed worthy.

much appreciated,
    john paul (et)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join