It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's what Mr president has to say about the koran burning

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Book burning is not illegal. So why does anyone's President have to chime in?

I think I may suggest this to you.

If Obama does stop this along with any other significant figure, then this will be seen as Obama etc accepts the very existence of their gods. What would the significance be.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Book burning is not illegal. So why does anyone's President have to chime in?

I think I may suggest this to you.

If Obama does stop this along with any other significant figure, then this will be seen as Obama etc accepts the very existence of their gods. What would the significance be.
Either way someone is in a catch 22

edit on 9-9-2010 by jazz10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
He shouldn't have said anything. He has no say in the matter and his input just gives other whacks more initiative to bring attention to themselves. The 'minister' is now saying that he'll not go ahead with the burning if Obama calls him and asks him not to.

That's kinda' like extortion.

"If you don't call me personally I'm going to burn Qu'rans and cause an international incident."

If Obama caves .... BAM! ... expect more things like this to happen.

Citizens holding the POTUS ... who was STUPID enough to comment when he should'a stayed out of it ... hostage.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
He shouldn't have said anything.

He has his right. Don't forget about that. He too is a citizen of the US.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy

Originally posted by FlyersFan
He shouldn't have said anything.

He has his right. Don't forget about that. He too is a citizen of the US.

Sure he can have an opinion and he has free speech. But he has to take into account his position and the fact that now he can be held hostage to the whim of every nutter. Just because he has the right, as POTUS that doesn't mean he should exercise it.

I hear ya' on the free speech thing. Really. But It's a little different. IMHO he's gotta' be careful.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
www.google.com...

FBI agents visit Florida church over Quran burn
By ANTONIO GONZALEZ and MITCH STACY (AP) – 3 hours ago

news.yahoo.com...

Fla. minister cancels burning of Qurans on 9/11

Pastor Terry Jones said Thursday that he decided to cancel his protest because the leader of a planned Islamic Center near ground zero has agreed to move its controversial location. The agreement couldn't be immediately confirmed.]

WOW! I didn't hear this! If this is true, that is something!

apnews.myway.com...

Obama implores minister to call off Quran burning

news.yahoo.com...

Obama sends greeting on Muslim holiday

www.jpost.com...

'Muslims to burn US flags in protest of Koran burnings'

Well, interesting headlines there, doncha think?

edit on 9-9-2010 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-9-2010 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Yes the President of the United States is a citizen and has the right to do such. But there are some things that the President should not speak on, or even out against. He may think it is a bad idea, however, when you combine his remarks about the propsed burning of the Quar'an and the actual remarks that he made about the Ground Zero Mosque, what is one lead to believe? If you are not muslim or a follower of the Islamic faith, then your are expected to give way and yield to those who are? The President of the United States, must speak for all of the people in the country, not just for the few or the minorities there, to govern wisely. He can not give into the demands of those extremists, nor can he be constantely supporting the few with his words, to give them crediability. In the Mosque controversy, he stated that the Imman and that group had the right to build a place of worship there, so why now, does he not state that the pastor down in Florida, have the same right to burn the Quar'an as protected by the constitution of the United States?
I believe he is just playing a dangerous political game, and is constantly caught off guard when called on such, with every time he states something like that, it divides the country more and more along the lines of race and ideology, rather than gathering the people together under one banner and one nation.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
after more thinking on this subject........

if that was reverend jermiah wright or louis farakan who decided to burn a bible noone would be saying anything
(theres hardly anyone who will speak out agianist those two but the rampant vitriol for this "preacher")

including gibbs,obama and the whitehouse.

i would have never thought that in america that being a non muslim everyone else is being treated like second class citizens or less except when it comes to islam..

people scream seperation of church and state.
people scream freedom of religion
people scream freedom from religion.

you people open your eyes and take a good look around at the current state of the union whether its a mosque or a koran burning....

bah on the news just now the dude caved in to pressure meaning he wont be burning it.

whatever happened to conviction in america?
whatever happened to standing up for your beliefs right or wrong?

bah bah bah...........

edit on 9-9-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I'm with you. I think the burning is terrible, intolerant, and hate serving. But those are my opinions. And the Pastor has his opinions about Islam and wants to burn the Koran because of them. He has every right to do so, but that doesn't mean I can't speak out against it.

The president saying the burning goes against our freedoms is outrageous!

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Iranian Government Security Forces Burn Hundreds of Bibles

www.urbanchristiannews.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   

„Das war ein Vorspiel nur, dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen.”

Heinrich Heine, Almansor, 1823

This translates (roughly) to:

"That was just a warm-up: Wherever people burn books, people will burn people too at the end"

200 years gone, and the guy is still so right. Makes ya wonder.
edit on 14-10-2010 by NichirasuKenshin because: added date

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join