It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's what Mr president has to say about the koran burning

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Here is the link...listen to what the president has to say...

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 9-9-2010 by union_jack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Well, he is right of course...this will be played and replayed for ages over in the middle east, with the radicals saying they are now in a holy war and how all muslims now must stand up against the christian america coming to invade and whatnot...

Come to find out, God is a buddist...less warfare in that religion overall.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Many know me on this board for sticking up for the Muslims and always showing a different angle, though I must say that I completely support the Quran burning. Not because I agree with it, so much as I agree with the process of it. If you want to be ignorant and burn the Quran, Bible, Protocols of Zion, a Dean Koontz novel or any other book, then it should be your right to do so. After all, it is only a symbolic gesture and doesn't really hurt anyone. People should have the liberty to do whatever ignorant acts they want, so long as they don't impede on the liberties of others.

For once, I kind of agree with the President. It will be a recruiting bananza for Al Qaeda. Americans are already seen as the equivalent of 21st century Nazis, whether true or not, warranted or unwarranted, and things like this that are done on such a large public stage are only going to ingrain that image.

With that being said, not only is such an act a symbol of intolerence and ignorance, but surprisingly enough, it's also a symbol of the freedom to express yourself and because of that, I fully support it.

--airspoon

edit on 9-9-2010 by airspoon because: Changed the word Islam

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
It's hard to believe the FBI hasn't had a talk with this guy already. Make NO mistake, if our government REALLY wanted to stop this guy, they would. I think they want this idiot to burn the Koran. It'll stir up more trouble, more hatred and give them more excuses to continue stripping away our rights. More excuses to fund their ridiculous wars.

How do people like this claim to be Christian when they are so full of hate? More religious hypocrisy. Personally, I think if we could just do away with religion, specifically Christianity, Islam and Judaism, the world would be an awesomely better place. They make life hell for the rest of the world.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

No, they shouldn't stop this moran because he isn't doing anything illegal. He is actually protected under the 1st Amendment. Are they going to pursuade him not to? You bet, though technically what he is doing isn't illegal and is forbidden from being illegal (short of the Amendment process) by the Constitution. Although I don'rt agree with what he is doing, I do agree that he should be able to do so.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I want to star the second half of your post...unfortunately the first half killed that.
This man has every right to be an idiot...and if any authority stepped in to stop this person from his rights, there would be far greater consequences.

If reason doesn't work, then fight fire with fire...hold a ceremony down the street and burn a effigy of religion in general, or toss tons of different "holy" books in a fire to make a statement about religion in general...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I absolutely agree with you. He has every right to burn the Koran. I never said he didn't. I SAID if they really wanted to stop him they would.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

If reason doesn't work, then fight fire with fire...hold a ceremony down the street and burn a effigy of religion in general, or toss tons of different "holy" books in a fire to make a statement about religion in general...

Trust me, with the attention this has received and the talks I've heard I can guarantee more than half the people at this Koran burning will be burning more than just the Koran. You will see bibles burnt at this same burning, and likely some Torah's as well.

Like others said, I completely support this guys right to be a complete asshat but with that comes the fact that most of the world doesn't understand this right, or that a majority of people think this guy is an asshat.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I too agree with Obama - probably the first time. I was mentioning to my wife yesterday at lunch that I don't understand the point of it - what kind of church is this anyway? I agree people have the freedom to express themselves, but this seems to me on the level of the church that protests soldier funerals screaming profanities. I question the truth in this church as it seems completely unchristian. I don't remember Christ telling his followers to go to the unsaved, grab their holy books and possessions and burn them. I do remember reading that he told them that they can modify what is right for them to do when they are in the company of the unsaved such as eating what was normally forbidden for them to eat. Burning the Koran seems to be 180 degrees in opposition of the message of Christ and I don't understand the point of it. It certainly won't lead to conversion or saving anyone - its an act of separation and destruction.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC
Like others said, I completely support this guys right to be a complete asshat but with that comes the fact that most of the world doesn't understand this right, or that a majority of people think this guy is an asshat.

Agreed. This is America. Everyone has the right to be an asshat..as we are reminded daily

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

You are right about his rights, but he is creating alot of controversy and its pretty rediculous. Of course, he isn't hurting anybody per se, but he is creating an environment of hate at worst, or he's simply starting # at the very least. I think the real supreme being might take exception to all the atrocious things done in HIS name. Its shouldn't be a free pass just because you're doing whatever in the name of god or country.

Why the msm latches onto these stories is pretty pathetic. It really isn't an issue. Its a distraction based on nothing other than intentionally offending a culture. People do that all the time. Our lawmakers are the worst, yet they are more sneaky about it. Globalists have been wanting civil war for a long time, yet people really aren't into murder when they have to do it themselves. Thats why we get these polarizing issues, (non-issues), to instigate some sort of reaction.

Them saying their bible is better is like saying my dad can beat up your dad. Its so childish. Symbolically burning their bible will change nothing, and in fact, make this awkward stance so much harder to keep in check. Great strategy, huh?

Islam is not the enemy, nor are any other religions. The people who manipulate these doctrines to suit their needs are the bad guys. The bad guys are the ones who need to be stopped.

Talking about "radical Islam" is a spin on the true story, That true story would be along the lines of exacting revenge against western forces invading their land. All Americans wanted revenge for 9/11. Except we are patriots for wanting that and they are insurgent terrorists for wanting the exact same thing.

link   
Can someone please answer me this question?

If all it takes is one call from Obama to end this then why aint he doing it?

What's going to happen if muslims retaliate before the burning and there was never any real intention to do so but merely planting the seed to get a reaction from muslims? Leading to an ideal excuse towar with Iran etc etc.
I can't honestly understand why its went so far.
Arrest this asshole hiding behind religion. He aint no christian he's a tosser. May what he causes come back on him ten fold.
I'm also very suprised that no one, no one has done anything to stop this.
Why is the media giving him attention?
They themselves are adding fuel to the fire.
I wouldn't be suprised if we will be seeing a load of new threads over the weekend regarding topics that we shouldn't wish to ever see.
Also the events run in line with other topics both biblical and timewave?
What's going on? Seriously!

link   
Ahh Gainesville. I miss that freaky city. Birthplace of the First Church of Cyberspace, or Cyberpapacy, or something like that. I hope they hold the koran burning during one of the many pub crawls by the UF campus.

link   

I agree - why hasn't the FBI done something about this - there must be a law that will cover what the pastor is doing. People get arrested all the time for much less than this even when covered by constitutional rights. Inciting a riot comes to mind - its pretty much the same thing. If the pastor follows thru with this I believe he is going to get much more than he is anticipating at this time. Somebody shake some sense into this lame brain!

edit on 9-9-2010 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Even the Vatican is calling for this to stop.

www.voanews.com...

The Vatican also is expressing concern, saying that burning the Quran would be an "outrageous and grave gesture." Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi says burning the holy book of Islam is not the proper way for people to show their outrage about the 2001 terrorist attacks. "This act would only call for new hate and violence. It goes directly in the opposite direction to the building of peace to which we all, as faithful in god and as people of peace, are called," Lombardi said.

World leaders, the UN, are all getting on the news and openly condemning this. Hopefully the condemnations will get the same media attention as this guy's intent to burn the book.
So far, the media has given more attention to the book burning. I have not noticed the US TV news even mentioning the other leaders, and the Pope condemning this.
They're too busy fueling the fire. I guess we'll find out next week the repercussions of this.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
..this will be played and replayed for ages over in the middle east, with the radicals saying they are now in a holy war and how all muslims now must stand up against the christian america coming to invade and whatnot...

News flash; The radicals have been saying this for years. In fact, nothing has fueled this sentiment more than American foreign policy itself.

Burning the quran is obviously motivated by anger and hate and is not a solution. That being said, burning a book is an element of freedom of choice and is not hurting anyone. The worse thing that can come out of this situation is for fear to prevail and for the burning NOT to take place.

Listen to Obama's words, "if the burning takes place, then we could see people blowing them-selves up in American cities..". In other words, think twice before offending muslims.

Think about it, drawing cartoons of mohammad, writing books criticizing islam or anything else perceived to be against islam is forbidden and could get you killed. This is meant to instill fear in the world so that in the future no one could question islam and its teachings.

This goes against everything freedom stands for.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The President of the United States should have never stated anything on any religious topic at any time.
The problem has been and will be, is that with this comment and the prior comments that the President has made, is that it has served to divide the general population and in short will ultimately send people to this Pastor to support what he is planning on doing, and to be more public about such.
The very idea of destroying media, art, historical sites and religious texts, are generally abhorred by the population. There are those in the country who were alive during the times when censorship has run rampant and fought over in the courts. Nor can we back down from actions in fear, as that is incorrect as well. This is a case of simply baiting and insulting, like all religious controversies at this time frame. And right now those groups, as distasteful as their messages may be to many, do have the right. As a member of the general population, and one who is not liked by many of the religious groups, I will defend and support their right to the freedom of speech. I do this, not cause I agree with the message that they are spouting, but I do it, cause I believe in the Constitution of the United States and the Bill of Rights.
As with any controversy where the fundamental base rights of the people come into conflict, all we can do is sit and wait.
Now some have asked why is the FBI or any of the national security agencies are not getting involved, is because they can not, as no real laws have been broken. The only laws that I have seen broken is the vandalism that has occured on the sight of this church, giving them further ammunition to commit this act. Like all extremist in society there are 2 ways to deal with such, one is to respond and give them the fuel for the fire that burns with in, and thus further escalate the conflict, or the wiser choice, and it does work, to just ignore and choose not to be around.
It is the right to choose that many people tend to forget, as we have the right to speak, we also forget that we have the right to choose to ignore speach that we do not like. Kind of like the TV or radio, if the program that comes on, you do not like, you can change the channel or turn it off. There is nothing there that says we have to pay attention, and that ultimately is what everyone needs to do, is turn around and just ignore the actions of that pastor and that church, with in the limits of the law. The more people speak out, the more that they are going to feel they are correct and continue on in their actions.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
In my opinion the only true way to handle this is a full media blackout. That way this moron gets to burn his books and no one else has to hear about it.
Unfortunately this is the kind of event that the media salivates over so the coverage will be quite extensive.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
Can someone please answer me this question?

If all it takes is one call from Obama to end this then why aint he doing it?
-snip-
Arrest this asshole hiding behind religion. He aint no christian he's a tosser. May what he causes come back on him ten fold.
I'm also very suprised that no one, no one has done anything to stop this.

I dont know where your from, but even the president in America cannot infringe on someone's right of free speech...hell, if he could do that (Obama), he would have shut down Fox Noise like on day 4 of his presidency.

Arrest the man? For what exactly? He is expressing a belief..this is freedom of speech, freedom of religion..he is doing nothing wrong...just stupid.

What if it was a bible he was burning? would infuriated christians concern you? What about burning a pagan book...would angry pagans concern you? How about some rock and roll records? Angry rockers scary enough to remove the liberties of the people on account of safety?

Islam is no different and deserves no special rules and actions...this man has every right as a citizen of the USA to do exactly as he is saying...the only thing you can do to counter it is openly not support it if it means that much to you.

For me, I say F islam...but, that mindset goes to all religions equally...bloodthirsty wargods are the only thing found in holy books.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Originally posted by endlessknowledge

Think about it, drawing cartoons of mohammad, writing books criticizing islam or anything else perceived to be against islam is forbidden and could get you killed. This is meant to instill fear in the world so that in the future no one could question islam and its teachings.

This goes against everything freedom stands for.

I too am seeing this. Makes me wonder who is really afraid and who isn't.
sl

edit on 9-9-2010 by sweetliberty because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join