It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vitamin B may help fight Alzheimer's.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Promising results from an Oxford research group:

Daily tablets of certain B vitamins can halve the rate of brain shrinkage in elderly people who suffer from mild memory problems, an Oxford University study has shown.

Certain B vitamins – folic acid, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 – are known to control levels of the amino acid homocysteine in the blood, and high levels of homocysteine are associated with an increased risk of Alzheimer’s.

www.ox.ac.uk...

It's good to see already-available compounds showing some promise.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Saw this on the news, great news! Although your required to take 600 times the amount of your recommend daily allownce. I think more tests are needed before we celebrate.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Don't forget niacin:

July 14, 2004 -- People who get enough niacin in their diet cut their risk of Alzheimer's disease by 70%, a new study shows. Martha Clare Morris, PhD, of the Rush Institute for Health Aging in Chicago, and colleagues studied 3,718 65-and-older residents of three south Chicago neighborhoods for more than five-and-a-half years. They also performed clinical tests on 815 of these people over four years. They found that those who got the least niacin were 70% more likely to develop Alzheimer's disease than those who got higher amounts. Those who got the most niacin in their diets had much slower mental decline than those who got the least niacin. "We observed a protective association of niacin against the development of Alzheimer's disease and cognitive decline within normal levels of dietary intake," Morris and colleagues conclude. Their report appears in the August issue of the Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry.

I take this daily. It's a balanced b-complex derived from brown rice, broccoli, and a bacteria strain. Also take a ton of niacin and ascorbic acid to prevent atherosclerosis, strokes, heart attacks, cancer, diabetes, etc..

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Saw this on the news, great news! Although your required to take 600 times the amount of your recommend daily allownce. I think more tests are needed before we celebrate.

Absolutely, I'm not advocating that people rush out and start taking handfuls of vitB. It's just nice to see research provide a path forward instead of dead-ending.

Just curious, the figure I heard on BBC World News this morning was 100x the RDA. Where did you hear 600?

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by iterationzero

GMTV around 9am

top topics

join