It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Imam fears moving NYC mosque could inflame tension......thanks for the threat.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf in an interview with CNN's Soledad O'Brien

The imam behind a proposed Islamic community center and mosque near ground zero cautioned Wednesday that moving the facility could cause a violent backlash from Muslim extremists and endanger national security.

Link

First of all, I am ok with building the Mosque, its a free country. And I undertsand what he is saying, but it almost feels like he is threatening America.
Either leave it alone or suffer the consequences is basically what he is saying.
He is fanning the fire.
Do you think telling Americans to leave it alone or suffer the consequences is going to help the situation or hurt it?

Rauf, 61, has largely been absent since the debate over the center erupted earlier this year. He has been traveling abroad, including taking a State Department-funded 15-day trip to the Middle East to promote religious tolerance.

Interesting, why is he going to the Middle East to promote religious tolerance?
He should be down here in Florida promoting religious tolerance.

edit on 9-9-2010 by earth2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
When moderate Islam can't get you what want, who you're gonna call? The-violent-Islam! (insert music theme from Ghostbusters.)

Let me see if I get this right.
We better not make them move the mosque where it would overlook the scene of 9/11 ...or there are going to be more terrorist attacks! Nice!

If Islam had nothing to do with 9/11 why is so important the location of this mosque to be where it they want it?
Here is an explanation:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by tungus

If Islam had nothing to do with 9/11 why is so important the location of this mosque to be where it they want it?

You know I've been very supportive of this Mosque for far longer than this story has been in the MSM, but this is the one critical question I have for this Imam.

I don't even care about the location. I don't care at all. But I do want to know his reasoning for choosing that location to begin with. I mean there is no way this guy could not foresee the outrage this would have caused. Why, specifically, THAT spot? It could have been a block farther away. It could have been closer. It could have been somewhere else. And the major problem is that he has been asked this and it's the one question he dances around without answering during his little tap dance.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC
reply to post by tungus

But I do want to know his reasoning for choosing that location to begin with. I mean there is no way this guy could not foresee the outrage this would have caused. Why, specifically, THAT spot? It could have been a block farther away. It could have been closer. It could have been somewhere else. And the major problem is that he has been asked this and it's the one question he dances around without answering during his little tap dance.

because this location was hit by the fusellage from the second plane... it is consecrated ground for them

location is of outmost importance as a symbol of islamic conquor.

edit on 9-9-2010 by SlasherOfVeils because: fixing tags

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Of course the islamic population will be up in arms if the site is moved. Anyone who thinks being a muslim is just religion, needs to study their koran more.

It's the way they look at land ownership. The term used is "dar al-Islam" (muslim territory) which is not specifically in the koran, but the basis for it is. Muslim territory is ruled by muslim law (Sharia law) regardless of other jurisdictions. In the view of islam, no one other than the muslim property owner and Allah have a say in the land usage. This covers even political usage of land for islamic based goals.

The mullah knew this going into this mosque deal. New York officials were too ignorant about islamic culture.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by SlasherOfVeils

reply to post by tungus

But I do want to know his reasoning for choosing that location to begin with. I mean there is no way this guy could not foresee the outrage this would have caused. Why, specifically, THAT spot? It could have been a block farther away. It could have been closer. It could have been somewhere else. And the major problem is that he has been asked this and it's the one question he dances around without answering during his little tap dance.

because this location was hit by the fusellage from the second plane... it is consecrated ground for them

location is of outmost importance as a symbol of islamic conquor.

edit on 9-9-2010 by SlasherOfVeils because: fixing tags

Sorry, should have specified. I wanted an answer derived from reasoning and logic. Not asinine paranoid bigotry.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

and yet the Imam when questioned why that specific location on 9/8 responds that if moved, it would anger terrorist organisations, yet I am the bigot for pointing out something that is fact--- the location was hit by a piece of the martyred plane from the attack..

I don't know very many muslims personally but the two I work with both think this mosque is just plain old stupid and only going to bring more harm then good. The muslims living near that area of manhattan already have a mosque nearby they can attend without the controversial aspect of it being proposed to open on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 in a building hit by the second plane.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

It's the truth. Don't let your liberalism blindside you. Study up on Islamic conquest and it's blatantly obvious. Or don't... not like it's obvious enough with the article from the OP or anything.

And I'm really getting tired of the word "bigot". It's like that word is sacred to liberals. It's their scapegoat for anyone who doesn't agree with them. You guys preach about tolerance all day long, but smite Americans who are pissed off over this situation by labeling them intolerant yet praise the most intolerant people in the world(muslims) on the basis of "religious freedom".

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SlasherOfVeils

and yet the Imam when questioned why that specific location on 9/8 responds that if moved, it would anger terrorist organisations

I know, you would almost think the Imam believes there are crazy Muslims out there who will be pissed off by this because, shocker, they're crazy radicals.

Seriously if you have issue with that statement you are so blinded by bias the man could do everything you want him to do and you would still criticize him.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Its how he said it, almost like he was threatening us. And the fact he doesn't speak against Hamas only adds to it. It also isn't the first time he has mentioned that the US is to blame for radical muslims attacking us.

It isn't bias, I just don't want to go down the same path of islamification here in the states that currently France and other European countries are dealing with.

Originally posted by havenvideo

It's the truth. Don't let your liberalism blindside you. Study up on Islamic conquest and it's blatantly obvious. Or don't... not like it's obvious enough with the article from the OP or anything.

And I'm really getting tired of the word "bigot". It's like that word is sacred to liberals. It's their scapegoat for anyone who doesn't agree with them. You guys preach about tolerance all day long, but smite Americans who are pissed off over this situation by labeling them intolerant yet praise the most intolerant people in the world(muslims) on the basis of "religious freedom".

This sums it up well. Thank you for speaking my feelings more eloquently then I could say myself.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by havenvideo

And I'm getting tired of being called a liberal because I disagree with people. Now if you put the word "classical" before the word liberal then maybe I wouldn't have so much of a problem with it.

And don't make assumptions that I think all people who don't want this mosque built are bigots either. You're bigot because the definition of bigotry is "a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, irrationality, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs." If you don't want to be a bigot, either change the definition of the word or stop being one.

There are people who don't want this mosque built for far simpler, less paranoid driven than yours and it's an understandable position, albeit a position created from emotional reasoning rather than rational. Still due to the nature of the event in question one can't really blame them for that.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SlasherOfVeils

Its how he said it, almost like he was threatening us.
That's actually called paranoia.

And the fact he doesn't speak against Hamas only adds to it.
I question that too. Why doesn't he speak out against a group supported by Mossad to stifle peaceful relations is beyond me.

It also isn't the first time he has mentioned that the US is to blame for radical muslims attacking us.

I know, it's not like the US spent the last 100 years whacking a hornets nest with a stick.

Wait a second....never mind, it did. Sorry.

It isn't bias, I just don't want to go down the same path of islamification here in the states that currently France and other European countries are dealing with.

And when we start seeing fundamentalists wanting Shariah law overriding our Constitution and common law, I won't be here calling you folks paranoid bigots.

Trust me, I don't want to see what is going on in Europe happen here either. Not in a million years. It's absolutely stupid. But fact is we are NO WHERE NEAR that regardless of what any paranoid delusions of yours or delusions of another may say.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Well, nothing can even be built until ConEd sells off their half of the property. Lets hope there is enough pressure on them not to sell.

This statement by the Imam certainly sounds like a veiled threat. The simple fact that he has gone deaf to the opinions of an overwhelming majority of NYC residents speaks volumes! I am sure even more New Yorkers will oppose with the passing of another 9/11 anniversary. There are lots of documentaries airing on the subject over the next couple of days that will serve to stir the emotion back up.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The Imman is lieing to all of the general population. He knew that to even bring this up would bring some opposition, what I believe that caught him off guard is the number of people who are against this project that is coming across the country and is unified with a resounding voice of against it. So he and his supporters are pulling out all of the cards, to include playing the race and religion cards in the process. He knew, from the very first time it went public how much of a controversy it is going to be. The way it was originally presented, was a very good idea, a place to where people can learn about Islam, and to be a bridge between the west and the islamic world, but the question of where it was suppose to be set was not mentioned at any time. Now it is set and he is feigning shock about how strong the opposition is, well then he does not understand the country that he lives in. Nor do I feel he understands what the long term ramifications of this action will be. If it does get built and opened up when it is planned, will only serve to fan the flames of hatered, like dumping gas on the embers of a dieing fire. It will not surprise me that mosques across the country and the muslims who are citizens of the US feel the anger of the general population to the point of intolerance and bigorty against them. It has happened before, and it will happen again.
Now there is a way to stop this from going forward and putting a kink in the entire plan, using the law to approach from another point. The developers of this place, owe back taxes, so all those against it,if they can come up with a good 300K and pay off the taxes, then legally, they can put a tax lien against the business and hold up all progress, bringing it to a halt, as they would have to take care of such, being a private tax lien, or loose their business liscence, putting them in a better negotiating position with the actual imman, than just anyone on the street.
The imman is sadly mistaken, as none of the victims of 9/11, none of the survivors or anyone who was directly affected will ever approve or accept his friendship or even that mosque where it is planned to be.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

im a muslim and i would like to tell him to shut up , its either you build it and bare the consequences , or move it with your mouthshut , this world can't take any more, if you believe its your right to build it there just do it with your mouth shut , or if you believe its going to be hard on you and on those who are going to use it then go find another place , its as simple as that , stop going on TV and saying things like that , we have had enough.

for GOD sake its only a community center you can build it anywhere , and those who want to come to you will do whether its there or anywhere else.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Well America, it appears as though Islam, a religion, has become the new Communism. I'd say it's unexpected but it's not really to me. What I will say though is that it is absolutely tragic and shows how horribly uneducated on the religion the majority of Americans really are.

The people that flew planes into the World Trade Center, Pentagon and a field in Pennsylvania on 9-11 were not good Muslims, in fact they are akin to the Christians that bomb Planned Parenthood clinics and the one that bombed the Olympic Park in Atlanta. These are radicals and horrible hate-filled people, not good men, no matter what religion.

This division, being propagated by a number of factions within your country will only serve to lengthen and embitter the war both of our countries are facing against these radical terrorists. I agree with the Imam, and no I do not see his words as a threat, but a simple fact. By making this a huge issue, and by further driving a wall of willful ignorance into the American people you are inviting more attacks, and only adding fuel to the fires of evil people.

I have heard a growing call in America that the United States is a Christian nation, while this is blatantly false, woefully arrogant and absolutely insane, there is one tenant of Christianity that I think America could learn well from in this: Love Thy Enemy.

This makes it all the more disturbing and crazy that Christians are the very people leading the charge to hate Islam.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ProjectJimmy

So, did the Imam help the situation by getting on TV and spreading MORE fear?

I say no, he only told us what we already knew.

I agree with the other poster, he should SHUT up.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Maybe this will answer your question...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

And when we start seeing fundamentalists wanting Shariah law overriding our Constitution and common law, I won't be here calling you folks paranoid bigots.

You are aware that Imam Rauf is also spearheading the Shari'ah Index Project, correct? And has made numerous statements that he believes that the U.S. is compliant with Shari'al law... so its not too far off.

As far as calling me paranoid about it, notice my statement. Sounds like != IS.

And as for earlier saying its obvious that the terrorist groups would be offended if we move it, thats like saying we need to stop letting women drive cars and let men rape their wives, and marry four of them too. Because thats what they do, and women being allowed to drive or be seen in public is against their ideology (and henceforth offensive).

They're never going to be happy with our way of life in the west and their is absolutely no reason to cater our beliefs to make those nutjobs with home made vestbombs in the Middle East happy about what we do. That's like trying to offer a robber pizza so he doesn't rob your jewelry drawer next time.

And as others have mentioned, it seems that the more Imam Rauf speaks out, the more he makes himself not look like a moderate, nor a peacemaker. This issue should have never been politicized, as you can see with the christian nutjob church of 50 getting presidential attention because they want to burn some Qu'rans (which is just as offensive as this Hamas loving "symbol of peace" being built on the open wound in lower manhattan).

Not to mention, all of this is moot, because they don't even have the money to push forward with this project anyway.

edit on 9-9-2010 by SlasherOfVeils because: fixing tag again

edit on 9-9-2010 by SlasherOfVeils because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by havenvideo

tol·er·ance audio (tlr-ns) KEY

NOUN:

1. The capacity for or the practice of recognizing and respecting the beliefs or practices of others.
1. Leeway for variation from a standard.
2. The permissible deviation from a specified value of a structural dimension, often expressed as a percent.
3. The capacity to endure hardship or pain.
4. Medicine
1. Physiological resistance to a poison.
2. The capacity to absorb a drug continuously or in large doses without adverse effect; diminution in the response to a drug after prolonged use.
1. Acceptance of a tissue graft or transplant without immunological rejection.
2. Unresponsiveness to an antigen that normally produces an immunological reaction.
6. The ability of an organism to resist or survive infection by a parasitic or pathogenic organism.

I am of the opinion we have been tolerant. They attacked US, now I know there are some Americans that are of the opinion we asked for or deserved it and they are wrong. We are continually under the threat of another bunch of Islamic terrorists killing westerners where ever they get a chance. They don't need a reason. Check out that definition of tolerance, the first definition is where we started. I guess in my humble opinion I am way down at number six now. I will not tolerate a bunch of war loving crazies anymore, I will not tolerate being called a bigot or hater or apparently the worst insult, a fundamentalist christian on par with people who if you disagree with will kill you. We can't profile middle eastern men because it might upset them, so instead we force OUR OWN citizens to be searched, harassed, and photographed naked before traveling.
We have to just suck up the fact that we do not want a Mosque built in that one spot because it is intolerant, they have the freedom to build it, they are given that right and all the other bounties of this country freely. The people have ASKED that they not build it there, other property has been offered and declined, and now they have the nerve to say if we don't shut up and TOLERATE their plans they will just send another round of idiots to kill themselves and however many people they can take out with them.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join