It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another reward for proving paranormal abilities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I am not sure if this has been posted before, but have a look.
I wonder if we will now see more people come out and show some powers.
It would be a brilliant idea, if each country in the world got something like this going, surely then we will see
somebody pop up with some sort of power.

What do you guys think?

www.independent.com.mt...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
This is gonna bring out all the wacks so they can get paid. No real psychic or someone with natural extended mind ability as I call it
would do this. I know a couple psychics and they don't like being in the public and they don't charge for any readings they do. They are scarily accurate and I am amazed at some of the things they have said to my friend and her family. I do realize that yes some real ones charge and that is how they make a living and I don't have a problem with that. It's those that prey on others for personal gain.

For those that want to know what the article is referring to.

Those who believe they can communicate with the dead, read people’s minds or claim to have some form of sixth sense or other are invited to showcase their talents and receive €1,000 for their troubles’ worth.

This is after the Society for Investigating the Credibility of Extraordinary Claims (SICEC) offered €1,000 to anybody who can provide evidence of paranormal activity.

source

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Though I am in concurrence that many paranormal claims are chicanery, misbeliefs or efforts to earn money, I put very little faith (har har) in these sorts of "rewards", because their intent is not to test anything, but rather to appear to provide proof of a negative merely by never being handed out.

"There is obviously no such thing as ESP, or a psychic would collect the million bucks that James Randi is offering."

As stupid as this statement really is, that's what people are led to believe, and so it serves its purpose.

Why wouldn't the legitimate psychic fight against it by offering up a demonstration? Two reasons -- first, they don't have to, because people who want to believe in this stuff will do so without such demonstrations, and secondly, they're aware that, because the whole of the skeptic's argument is that no one HAS won the reward, no one ever WILL. Whatever test is contrived, whatever the analysis might be, and whatever the final judgement might be will invariably lead to dismissal of the claim, because awarding it even once ends the whole argument.

As a result, the "real" psychic has nothing to gain, everything to lose, and he's effectively guaranteed to lose.

new topics

join