It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would Humans contact an ET civilisation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
If Humanity gets to the point of being able to traverse the cosmos at lightspeed, and we did come across an intelligent race of ET beings, who hadn't got to the point of travelling outside there own solar system, how would we make formal contact with them?

It's an extremely complicated scenario, what if they don't use radio? What if they can't receive our type of signals?

We have no idea how they would react if we landed.
We don't know what type of germs and bacteria they have, a simple cold from a human could wipe out there species.

Are they a big religous species?
What sorts of weapons do they have?
Are they hostile?

What do you think?

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
We couldn't even if we wanted to.
We're too busy fighting amongst ourselves to take time to contact Aliens.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
We couldn't even if we wanted to.
We're too busy fighting amongst ourselves to take time to contact Aliens.

One day we will see that fighting is a waste of resources, i hope one day all of our money will go towards space projects.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

That is the question.

And the questions like, how will they react, are they religious and so on, point out many reasons why we probably haven't been contacted yet. I do believe we will be contacted, I believe the those in the know will never let us know. Disclosure will have to be initiated from their (the Aliens) end. Either that or indisputable evidence of an Alien presence comes to light, which I doubt.

I've thought about a few times, though I'm not really sure how they (the Aliens) would go about contacting us on a public level. It all depends on their motives I guess, which are probably just as hard to figure out. I personally think some huge ass space ships would have to be involved, and I mean big, just to make it clear that there is no point in trying to fight them, because our destruction would be like stepping on a bug for them. Next I think they would make a speech translated to every language of the world and transmitted around the planet and shown on TV. It's really hard to say what they might say, or what might come next.

We also have the other very likely scenario where it will be a slow and drawn out process, it wont be like a sudden realization or big shock, but a gradual change and phasing of our general attitude towards the subject as more and more evidence comes to light until slowly we are ready to accept it all, then open communications and public contact with Aliens could begin.

EDIT: Just realized I answered the question backwards, my bad.

edit on 9/9/10 by CHA0S because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Agreed, i beleive we may be being monitored by ET intelligence, but not officially just yet.

These aliens couldnt come out and talk to us, they would have to know every language on Earth, it's not fair for them to only contact English talking people.

They may not even use there mouths to communicate, they may use clicking sounds, or even telepathic.

Its such a complicated predicament

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

These aliens couldnt come out and talk to us, they would have to know every language on Earth, it's not fair for them to only contact English talking people.
Well, learning the English language is still a lot easier than learning a really tough programming language. Even if they are just a few thousand years ahead of us, I think learning the English language would be a rather simple task for most members of their species. From that point on, we humans can translate it from English to every other language.

They may not even use there mouths to communicate, they may use clicking sounds, or even telepathic.
It doesn't matter what they use to communicate between themselves, they would have the technology to at least synthesize a human voice and give it to us in a simple digital-audio format.

edit on 9/9/10 by CHA0S because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
A Speak'n'Spell, record player, circular saw blade, umbrella, wires and some tin foil. Worked for one of them, but not for me when I was eight...!

Seriously? I disagree that they wouldn't know of radio waves, they exist across the cosmos and a civilisation of suitable technological advancement would be aware of their existence and have suitable aparatus to observe emissions. They may not use radio in any form as a a form of communication, but they would be able to receive it.

I think the greater problem is where to point our transmitters.

Sendran.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I'd have to think we'd observe them first for a few years, likely abduct a cross-section of them to check their biology and susceptibility to our germs (and us to theirs), sample animal and plant life, and learn about their culture and beliefs (and language).

Then, we'd be better prepared to make contact. (and not have our arrival taken out of cultural context)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Study them for a while, get to know culture and the like. Then, I don't know, maybe put some symbols in their crops ...

- Phoenix

top topics

join