It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French Ad: Twin Towers Should Have Been Shorter

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
I will NEVER stop being angry - EVER.

Christ, you're as bad as the Jews who harp on and on about the holocaust.

Yes, the twin tower attack was awful. Yes, many people died. But you aren't helping by being angry forever.

I mean, look at the adverts you have that make Obama out to be Muslim, which he isn't. Or a racist, which he isn't. You have media, comedy and politics which makes light of many people, events and countries and cultures around teh world. Why should you be immune to it? I'd like to know..

Let it go. Get on with your life.

edit on 9-9-2010 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manouche

Hefficide, what kind of cultural gap do you think there is ? Do you picture in your head a group of Frenchmen standing under the Eiffel tower and laughing their arse off in front of this ad ?

That's quite a jump from what I actually did say.

I'm just going to force myself to assume that this is a culture-gap kind of thing and that, as an American, I just don't get it in the vein it was intended.

I do not know if you took my statement to be a shot at the French or not. My point was that the ad does not make sense to me, but that the fact it exists, and is marketed to a French market suggests that the intended audience must have a different interpretion of, or reaction to the image.

That does not generalize the French at all.

There is a demographic this ad is marketed towards and, since I am obviously not part of that demographic, I merely offered the benefit of the doubt that maybe I didn't understand the spirit in which the ad was intended.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Someone who holds a grudge for over 10 years does so because of personal issues, not because of the 9/11 event.

So now you're going to try to presume to know my reasons also?

Not well done of you Skyfloating. I thought better of you.

You have NO idea why I still hold a grudge.

To presume you do, and to judge me for it?

Needless to say that's why I normally shy away from this part of the forums.

As an added note?

Putting the even behind us is one thing. Forgiving is also good. But forgetting?

Well, those who want to forget might also wish to forget that history repeats itself while you're at it.

peace

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Who said anything about forgetting? I hold the victims in honour, the perpetrators in forgiveness "for they know not what they do", and the event in reverence and as a reminder for the future.

Your grudge does nothing for the victims or against the perpetrators. With long-harboured grudges the only person you are hurting is yourself - on a real, chemical, body-level.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by noonebutme

Why should you be immune to it? I'd like to know..

When did I ask to be immunized from this?

Do I choose to add acid to injury and make fun of tragedies the world as a whole suffered? The Holocaust, the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, world Hunger?

No, I don't. Do I respect people who do? Not a freaking bit.

But ask to be immune from it? Never. It's all part and parcel of life.

What I ask is people do NOT judge and presume over something they know nothing about.

Something you, and many others in this thread fail not only to do, but to understand.

So, bring it on.
You want to joke about 911?
Knock yourselves out.
Enjoy your dark humor and your little giggles of glee.
Continue to buy products from advertising agencies that put so little value on human life they pimp out the tragedy of 911 making a buck off the deaths of all those people.

Yeah that's right, laugh away!

Ha

Ha

Ha

Just don't forget the people who died so you can continue to laugh and sell products.

peace

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth_Hz

Sorry mate, didn't know it was fake.

Seems I've been had by an ad, lol

I do apologize.

But the point I was trying to convey was that the media and specifically ad companies use shock tactics like this ad to creat buzz around whatever they are advertising. Yes the 9/11 incident was tragic, but i have always thought that sooner or later someone was going to use it for something like this.
Unfortunately thats just the way humans are.

VVV

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

We will continue to enjoy dark comedy, you don't and i respect that, we all have our likes and dislikes....so why all the fuss exactly?

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

So now you're going to try to
presume to know my reasons also?

You're not impressing anyone by trying to be all vague and mysterious about it. Either you have a personal connection to the event, or you don't. If your husband died, then yes, I understand why it would be difficult to "just get over." Something like that easily can change your entire life.

But the vast majority of people in this country didn't know anyone who died on 911. And probably the vast majority of people in this country have never even been to new york. So like I suggested in my first post in this thread, the majority of people who are "shocked" and "angry" are shocked and angry over something that happened in a faraway place they've never been to people they don't know. I think there's enough of a disconnect there that after nine years it should be reasonable to expect these people to not be "shocked and angry" anymore.

For those who still are, I can only assume that there's some sort of second chakra / second density issue going on here where they perceive themselves not as individuals, but as "america" and therefore perceive an attack on "america" as an attack on them personally.

edit on 9-9-2010 by LordBucket because: because spellcheck would be too easy

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I didn't twist your words, it was a question

As I said in my other post, there is no cultural interpretation of the 9/11 attacks, everywhere it was received like a punch and with terrified faces.
I don't know if it's directed at french markets, all the pictures I have seen are in english.
This ad is designed to act on simple and spontaneous human emotions, fear, hate, anger, outrage... Advertising plays on emotional manipulation to produce a collective response.

I don't think we should be complacent and put our lack of understanding on cultural differences. The intent of the advertising agency is clear : to shock and generate publicity.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Ok, you didn't ask to be "immune" from it - but your very strong "anger" towards jokes or people making light if the 9/11 incident suggest that that particular tragedy should not be made fun of. To that end I essentially asked, why not? Why can't people make fun of it?

I didn't know any of those people, so the fact that they're dead doesn't really mean much to me. Is that harsh? I don't think so. Millions of people die all the time who I don't know about.

Continue to buy products from advertising agencies that put so little value on human life they pimp out the tragedy of 911 making a buck off the deaths of all those people.

I will, just as countless millions of others will as well. If you want to stay bitter an angry about an incident you had NO CONTROL over, something you had nothing to do with, fine - be my guest.

But I still find the advert amusing. Just as the jokes about 'NASA' and the Challenger explosion in '86 and so on - people enjoy dark humour. I don't see anything wrong with it. It's an aspect of human nature; to mock the atrocities of life. And damn are some of them funny!

EDIT: I'm not *intentionally* trying to be cruel - I simply don't get why "9/11" is such a big deal compared to other incidents and tragedies in history. Why is *this one* so wrong to make light of? What is the criteria to say you can make light of THIS incident but not THAT one?

edit on 9-9-2010 by noonebutme because: update

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by noonebutme

Originally posted by noonebutme
EDIT: I'm not *intentionally* trying to be cruel - I simply don't get why "9/11" is such a big deal compared to other incidents and tragedies in history. Why is *this one* so wrong to make light of? What is the criteria to say you can make light of THIS incident but not THAT one?

Because 9-11 was a prelude to a much more serious attack that will be comming to New York and Washington one of these days soon. Also, when thousands of people are terrorized then murdered, only a Charles Manson or a Ted Bundy would think that it's funny.

But that's Ok. Laugh it up funny boy. What goes around comes around.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

It should be reasonable... ? Since when anger and feelings are ruled by reason ?

Our feelings and how we experience them is an intimate and deep part of us, close to our 'true' us maybe. How do you know what others experience ? Is it unreasonable for you to think that people may experience stronger and more intense feelings than yours on some occasions ? You are basing this reasoning on your experience of feelings, right ? It may be more difficult for someone to control a feeling because it's much stronger than for you. You don't know.

silo13 is right asking not to be judged, you are presuming her/his capacity to overcome this feeling even though you have no information to make any judgement.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme
reply to post by silo13

I didn't know any of those people, so the fact that they're dead doesn't really mean much to me. Is that harsh? I don't think so.

nevermind, you aren't worth it!

sl

edit on 9-9-2010 by sweetliberty because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by sweetliberty

what happened on that day happened to us all.

This is exactly what I was talking about earlier. Some people are unable to separate themselves from the wolf pack.

the worst disaster that happened
to civilians ever in the United States

Do you really believe that?

If you do, your perception of reality and mine are dissimilar.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweetliberty
edit to add.....oh I was just kidding there rolly polly guy with fingers in your ears...... want me to talk louder?

Btw, could you tell that to the first responders who are dying from blood cancer from trying to help victims? Please, I would love for you to be face to face with them!
It might have been ok with you and that lord bucket (let me drop something in that bucket!!!!!!) but what happened on that day happened to us all.
Funny how the worst disaster that happened to civilians ever in the United States but you and lord sucket are careless about it.

I.. don't get what you just wrote - your grammar is terrible. lord bucket, dropping something in that bucket..sucket... I don't see what you're aiming at there.

Yes, I did say it was a terrible atrocity that shouldn't have happened and I certainly don't want to see anyone killed in any way. But again, what makes YOUR atrocity (I'm not American and I don't live in America) more "untouchable" than any other terrible incident that happens to people? Why are jokes about celebrity deaths, natural disasters, man made disasters and so on, more "acceptable" but 9/11 is not?

When I say i don't care, it's not out of disrespect or animosity or hatred - not at all. All things being equal, the loss of life, any life in such "causes" is tragic and equally unjust. So why does THIS particular incident become so sacred?

And sweetliberty, I never said that what happened on 9/11 was "ok" with me. I never even implied that I thought it was funny. In any way whatsoever. The absurdity of the jokes are what is funny. Don't misread my posts and turn them around that like. You're better than that.

edit on 9-9-2010 by noonebutme because: also...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by MY2Commoncentsworth
Because 9-11 was a prelude to a much more serious attack that will be comming to New York and Washington one of these days soon.

You don't know that - that's pure assumption. And hopefully it doesn't happen.

Also, when thousands of people are terrorized then murdered, only a Charles Manson or a Ted Bundy would think that it's funny.

Sigh, you know that's not what this is about - no one is laughing *at* the deaths *of* people. It's like the "Need Another Seven Astronauts" joke. Sure, it's distasteful, but it's a dark humour that some people find enjoyable, maybe a way to deal with the situation. You laugh at the jokes, not the *actual* incident itself.

But that's Ok. Laugh it up funny boy. What goes around comes around.

What, you mean a few misguided extremists are going to fly a plane into me? Because I laught at what is admittedly a distasteful joke means I'll be subjected to some form of misfortune? That's a bit harsh. And you imply that I'm insensitive..

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Timing is everything when it comes to being humorous. If the OP didn't take the ad as humouours, then why should she be judged so harsly for how she feels?
My middle name is comedian, lol. I live for comedy and welcome it even if I'm the only one laughing at my jokes

If someone doesn't laugh at something I think is funny I don't repy like a jerk, chalking the feelings of others off with a snide remark. No reason to be a part of the problem, wouldn't you agree?
Thanks
sl

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Those French geniuses should have placed their Maginot line to border Belgium. Learn to Anticipate!!

BTW: Your welcome! in regards to giving your country back to you after two different world wars in 100 years.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by sweetliberty

why should she be judged so harsly for how she feels?

Who exactly is "harshly judging" the OP? Because I don't see it. What I do see, is a few people trying to encourage introspection by asking people why they have these feelings.

Responding to "why are you angry?" with "don't judge me!" shows a mental disconnect. If this is all about feelings, that's fine. But we can examine our feelings and why we have them without being defensive about it and without accusing people of attacking and judging us for encouraging that introspection.

chalking the feelings of others off with a snide remark.
No reason to be a part of the problem, wouldn't you agree?

The irony is that you are the only person I see in this thread insulting anyone. You've called noonebutme a dufus, and you've twice made derogatory puns of my name. And if "snide remarks" are such a concern of yours, what are we to think of this little gem of yours:

Originally posted by sweetliberty
in this post
"oh I was just kidding there rolly polly guy with fingers in your ears...... want me to talk louder?"

The most valuable contrubution I can make at this point is to draw attention to your way of thinking for the benefit of the silent audience. Look at people who get angry over things that didn't happen to them. Look at people who refuse to self-examine and simply get angry about "being judged." Look at people who make snide comments and fling insults then twist it around to accuse the people they're insulting of the same.

Then ask yourself if you want to be one of them.

edit on 9-9-2010 by LordBucket because: fixed quote attribution

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join