It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First "flying cars" to be built in Mass

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

WOBURN, Mass. (AP) -- Production of the world's first "flying car" will be taking off from Massachusetts.

Terrafugia Inc. announced Wednesday that it plans to begin low-volume production of the company's Transition Roadable Aircraft at 19,000-square-foot facility in Woburn,

The company -- which is headquartered in Woburn -- said it considered several other locations around the U.S. and the world for initial production, which could begin by late next year.

Terrafugia says plans for long-term high volume production have yet to be determined.

The car-plane has wings that unfold for flying and fold back up for driving on normal roadways.

The vehicle is expected to cost between $200,000 and $250,000.

Read more: www.lowellsun.com...

The company's website is www.terrafugia.com...

Just wanted to know what you guys think about this

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

edit on 11/9/2010 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Do you also need more then just a driverslicence?

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DutchBigBoy

More information is on there website, I think the company offers flight lessons ect.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DutchBigBoy

I think it's logic that the pilot will need bouth licenses...the car one and the brevet one. Flying it's something completly diferent from driving a car. The pilot need to know a lot about air dinamics, emergency rotines, etc.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
hahaha - I misread the original headline.

Thought it said "first 'flying cars' to be built on MARS". hahahahaha

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by agent00duece

I has tired that "Flying Cars" like those that you mentioned in this thread are nothing more than Just Ordinary aircrafts that can lands on road instead hovercars

Mod edit: large quote removed, "reply to" original post added.

edit on 11/9/2010 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Hehe - Interesting! But flimsy looking. I wonder what its top altitude is.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I have heard you need a small aircraft license or something to that degree, which only takes about 20 hours to get. Wish I had 200,000

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by agent00duece

Nice toy but not very practical for flying or driving...

For $200000 you can buy a decent plane and a comfy car...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I am sorry, but I really do not think this is something special. First of all, this has been done in the 50ies: en.wikipedia.org...

Second of all, I think the appeal of the "flying car" as we all think of it, is that you can basically land and start everywhere. Take of vertically from your driveway, or see the traffic jam in front of you and simply take off.

This however is not a flying car, it is a driving plane, which is something completely different.

You still need an airport, the license (which is a good thing hehe), everything you need for a cessna for example.

Plus it is absolutely hideous if you look at it from a cars perspective. From an engineers standpoint I am sure it is quite a feat. Getting all the different technologies under one roof is a pretty big challenge, and I admire them for their bravery and their skill.

I cannot however see the big point about a "roadworthy cessna" so to speak...

edit on 9-9-2010 by Nightaudit because: spelling

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Yeah the thing that sucks with these flying cars is that you can only fly from one airport to another. But I imagine sometime in the future it won't be that way, mostly due to overpopulation people will have no choice but to use flying cars, but also because they will become more affordable for the average joe.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I can hardly wait to get my first flying car. Every time I get stuck in a traffic jam, I wish to have a flying car. I have been waiting for this for a long time. Sounds like my dream may come true. That would be so awesome. Thanks for a great post.

top topics

join