It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Famous Illinois Ghost Hunter a fraud.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
"Troy Taylor" a self proclaimed ghost hunter with over thirty published works, and several on video runs an organized society with over 600 members. I wonder what these members would say if they knew at least some of his written as well as video compilations were false. My cousin a local college graduate last summer, researched some paranormal stuff for a summer anthropology class.Coming across taylors work made it easy to find supposed haunted places in Ill.One in particular is the well known "grave yard x" www.prairieghosts.com... supposedly so haunted taylor would not reveal its real location.She then went to taylorville Ill."taylor claimed it was in that area", and spoke with the locals, as well as the historical society, and found that taylor had been to a local cemetary known as anderson and was given permission to film,but anderson was not known as "Graveyard X" The local historical society claimed that because of vandalism as well as headstone theft graveyard x's location could not be revealed.when she arrived at this cemetary she found the headstones to be identical to the ones in taylors film "Prairie ghosts" this was the cemetary that locals gave taylor permission to film in,but because of the location of the true "Graveyard X' would not be given to taylor the historical society said "with little argument, he just sorta settled for that one".I wonder how many more he just settled for?

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Yes, I am familiar with Troy Taylor and from what I have read and heard about him, he is just using his exposure to make money creating works of fiction and leading people to believe it is true. He is a major set-back for those who are seeking the truth.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
i absolutley agree, and the truth will be harder to find when everyone is trying to gain monetarily with their own version of it.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Interesting.

From what I've seen, the words "Famous" and "Fraud" are generally interchangeable as applied to anyone who claims to be involved with the paranormal.

I wouldn't think it would be hard to fool people that want to be fooled. Sometimes it's not difficult to fool people that purport to be skeptics. The thing is, when someone's making a living out of it, it would monetarily advantageous to take the easiest route, even if it meant faking the abilities. That fact alone would make it easy to assume that someone "famous" is also a "fraud".

The true search for truth continues...

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Heads up folks!

Hmm. are you aware of "libel" at all? If not, please have a look at this. Quote:

"Libel and slander are legal claims for false statements of fact about a person that are printed, broadcast, spoken or otherwise communicated to others. Libel generally refers to statements or visual depictions in written or other permanent form, while slander refers to oral statements and gestures. The term defamation is often used to encompass both libel and slander.

In order for the person about whom a statement is made to recover for libel, the false statement must be defamatory, meaning that it actually harms the reputation of the other person, as opposed to being merely insulting or offensive. ...."

Whilst I'm *not* defending Mr Taylor, nor am I a lawyer, it might be wise to consider what you publish here?

Just my �0.02...

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Well, since what we are saying here is opinion, we are permitted to say what we think. Furthermore, I highly doubt that my opinion of Mr. Taylor's abilities will remotely impact his sales, which, seems to be what he's interested in anyway. Also, I didn't mention Mr. Taylor by name anyway, but now I am.

I'm merely stating that I believe him to be a fraud. If he'd like to prove paranormal ability, James Randi would love to talk to him about it.

Just found this at the Libel link that was provided:

The defamatory statement must also have been made with fault. The extent of the fault depends primarily on the status of the plaintiff. Public figures, such as government officials, celebrities, well-known individuals, and people involved in specific public controversies, are required to prove actual malice, a legal term which means the defendant knew his statement was false or recklessly disregarded the truth or falsity of his statement.

[edit on 22-6-2004 by Ouizel]

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Thanx Ouizel for your explanation. I got into "panic mode" here, I freely admit, as I am not a lawyer but - genrally - err on the side of caution!!

Please continue to converse on Mr Taylor's abilities and claims - I apologise for interrupting the flow of the discussion...

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
No problem, Genra. Yes, it is better to err on the side of caution. So, your warning is appreciated!

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Troy Taylor was contacted both by letter form, as well as phone message, and emails he chose not to respond. My guess is that when your caught with your pants down, you are embarrased.......lol

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I thought this topic needs revisited since troy taylor is holding yet another ghost hunting "fraud" i meant tour through october in alton Ill, so come and be "ripped off"www.prairieghosts.com... i mean educated at the low price of 25 dollars a head for the cheap tour. btw he cant promise any paranormal activity will occur.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orangemonkey
btw he cant promise any paranormal activity will occur.

I'm not familiar with this Troy guy, but how could one expect him to guarantee that paranormal activity will occur? All ghost tours have a price, and many times nothing unusual happens. We're not at the point where a ghost is a phone call away. I've been ghosthunting many times, but only a few have been fruitful.

I believe in ghosts.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I don't think that OrangeMonkey is saying that he doesn't believe in ghosts, but just that Troy Taylor is a fraud. He has made a living at selling himself as a professional ghost hunter/researcher/entertainer. I believe entertainer more than anything.

Sure I believe in ghosts as well to a degree, but Troy Taylor has been caught in more than one lie as he continues to rake in money.

join