It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA photo -- Please Explain!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldDisorder

Like people have already said mate, it's the 'slingshot effect' of the meteor's encounter with Earth's gravity.

It was dragged off it's original course by our gravity, but had enough velocity to not be captured by it.

Spacecraft designers make use of this phenomena to deliberately encounter a planet's or moon's gravity, to slingshot or catapult the spacecraft onwards on a new course, and speed.

If they didn't the craft would not have enough fuel to carry out it's journey...the slingshot provides a speed boost, as well as course correction.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Nah...that's not why.

I suspect it's all the airbrushing out of the structures and artifacts, and not admitting what is swarming about in space, and around our atmosphere, that really get's people's backs up...

Could be wrong, but generally when people are coughing up the readies for a space programme, they tend to get pissed off when they're lied to..what can i say? That's the public for ya!

edit on 15/9/2010 by spikey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mobius1974My dear Friend,

I would like to start this conversation with a healthy little dose of sarcasm... But due to recent events, I have come to the conclusion that any form of sarcasm, would be totally lost on you!

He knew they were unrelated and was being sarcastic...

Ahh, I see, many thanks for clarifying that

One persons weed is another mans flower, meaning, you may have seen [in this case presumed, unless of course you know the member personally] the member was being sarcastic however, without the use of smileys [

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
It was taken in by the Earth's orbit and gravitational field for a few seconds that was powerful enough to slightly turn it.

If at about 1 Million or so miles from Earth it's path would've deviated like 20 or so degrees to the right it would've hit directly with the planet. If it would've been traveling at least 30% slower our gravitational pull would've brought it in and forced the object to slam into Earth.
edit on 24-11-2010 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join