It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is Obama on the Koran burning?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I know that everyone is up in arms over a preacher bruning a koran this weekend. Frankly, I'm surprised at the reactions of some, and not by others. We have everyone from generals to movie stars commenting on this....question, where is Obama on this? He sure stuck his two cents in concerning the NYC mosque, one would think with him recieving death threats over this he'd have an opinion. Just curious as to why nada from him.....I don't think he personally is a muslim, he spent too much time in Wrights racist church for that......but it does make me wonder.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Are you trying to say President Obama is going to support this? A lot of Tea party members will support him for him support this.
voices.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Why should he say anything?

The media is turning a bunch of crazy church people doing stupid things that should be widely ignored into a national issue. People have been burning books, burning effigies, burning flags, pissing on statues or whatever offensive thing for years and now people in high positions of government and media are interjecting opinions on this.

Amazingly, Obama is playing it smart not to say anything and throw Presidential attention on this issue. No need to poke more sticks into this media made hornet's nest.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Well, he did step in and say the builders of the mosque had the right..........where is he on this. Does he believe the constitution applies to all, or not? I'd like to hear it from him, if need be he can write it down and read it from his teleprompter........but isn't this a slightly more important thing than the mosque. This will cause violence against the US and it's citizens, and yet is protected.....I'd like to hear it from the horses mouth. C'mon Mr. President, tell us it's protected.......don't hide this time.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

He felt the need to defend the mosque.....defend this. There have been far more people in the media outspoken against this book burning than the mosque....................or does he really just pick and choose to appease those he thinks can help him. I know for fact if I was having death threats over someone elses actions, I'd sure have something to say about it.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
[This will cause violence against the US and it's citizens

Why? Because you and the press say so? If violence occurs as a reaction doesn't that mean the crazy preacher wins? Peaceable protest (although repulsive and disgusting) should be feared because of potential for violence?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

The preacher already has won..........you have muslims already saying Americans are going to die where ever they are found. No, I don'[t think we should fear it, but I would like some response from the president........he sticks his little comments out there at other times......maybe it just hasn't been written down for him yet.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Forget that Obama is a Muslim, Black or whatever. He is a politician, he has to cater to a large and diverse constituency, what he, or any other politician can say or do is limited by that fact. Making religious statements are no win situations to be avoided whenever possible. Non issues like this thread where you have one religious bigot burning the BOOK of another religious bigot. God is NOT in those books, merely opinions about who or what God is. All this rhetoric to inflame the faithful to kill other people for burning paper and ink . Where is God in that?..

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

The thing is that Obama can't defend this. If he defends the 1st amendment rights of someone to burn a book, the entire Islamic world will go into a frenzy and poop will hit the fan on an epic scale.

If Obama condemned this action, an angry American public who is rightly soured on his job performance will be even more suspicious of his loyalties to the American public. He is already seen as arrogant and out of touch, any comment condemning someone's freedom of speech will be catastrophic for him politically. Even though the American public is divided on this Koran burning issue (when no one should care THANKS MAIN STREAM MEDIA) the tea party will pick Obama apart over this. Not only does he suck as a President, he will be seen as blatantly opposed to the Constitution. Instead of the dems losing control of the house, the republicans with political blood-thirst, will have a high chance of totally routing the dems and winning a 2/3 majority. Bad timing for a media frenzied koran campfire.

The third option is staying quiet. It seems that so far, Obama is actually showing smarts on this one.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

The preacher already has won..........you have muslims already saying Americans are going to die where ever they are found. No, I don'[t think we should fear it, but I would like some response from the president........he sticks his little comments out there at other times......maybe it just hasn't been written down for him yet.

Muslims threaten Americans over cartoons. Big deal. Are you frightened by the threats of someone who feels offended? People that have had no harm done to them? Are you interested in sacrificing the freedom to act like a jackass to appease people who will threaten violence? If so and if you're American, I fear for the future.

As far as the president's response... the press' response is the president's response. Certainly you don't need that spelled out for you. It would be political suicide to go on record against the First Amendment. The press can handle that for him.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

reply to post by traditionaldrummer

He won't say anything because if he comes out and says he disagrees with it, he is disagreeing with free speech, but if he comes out and says it is the guys right to do it, he sets of firecrackers in extremists brains.

Even if he comes out saying he disagrees with it AND agrees that the guy has the right to do it, you just know the extremists will take that as an insult.

99.99% of them I heard someone say recently, are really amazing peace loving people.

Yeah... lol

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

Thats the rub, he can't say anything, yet he did when it concerned the mosque. Seems to me his silence should speak volumes, at least to the American public. Time for him to realize what he got handed to him was a real job, and a hard one at times. I think he should do the right thing and make his position known.......or will he continue to take the easy way out?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
He is exactly where he, as with any president, should be. Why does everyone want the president to meddle in the affairs of a private institute?

He dipped his hand into many issues where he should have stayed out and I think he has learned his lesson.

Oh yeah, there is an election coming up.....

PS:

As I was thinking of it and postulated on a different thread, I think this is a poorly conducted attempt by the church in question to bring parallels between the mosque issue and burning the Koran.

From my view, what I see was an attempt to draw the president, politicians or other people of prominence into debating the issue the same way the mosque issue was handled. As said above, its a lose-lose for the president to speak out against it, just as his comments were a lose-lose about the mosque.

Since I have never held a president in such high regard, no matter their politics; they are just a person after all, nothing more, nothing less, I would rather him remain silent on the issue unless it spread to more and more churches or those of Islamic faith retaliated in some manner. It is then that I expect a leader to step in and put out the sparks before a fire starts. At this point, the issue is just one church that feels this is the way they wish to express their disdain (I don't quite understand it) for Islam,

edit on 8-9-2010 by ownbestenemy because: Post Script

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Obama is probably at the bookbinders right now
having his copy of the Koran rebound in asbestos !
Allegedly !

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
"This will cause violence against the US and it's citizens, and yet is protected"

If killing and destroying the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in two illegal unjust wars failed to do the trick, I seriously doubt that burning some book will incite violence against Americans.

Getting back to the topic, the people burning these books are radical fanatics who are just as whacked and screwed in the head as the people they are "supposedly" protesting against. They both deserve each other.

Obama is doing the right thing by not giving these radical redneck fundamentalist religious slugs anymore publicity and letting the treasonous disreputable corporate whores in the media deal with the issue.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
"From my view, what I see was an attempt to draw the president, politicians or other people of prominence into debating the issue the same way the mosque issue was handled."

These two lame insignificant issues are an attempt to divert attention away from any talk of a new 9/11 investigation. This simple distraction technique works very well with the immensely dimwitted American public. You betcha it does

edit on 8-9-2010 by SphinxMontreal because: spelling

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I'd still like to know Obamas views on this, he felt strongly enought to comment on the mosque, I guess with all of the talk about muslim backlash, and dangers to Americans abroad he maybe should say something, but I guess it just doesn't fit his plans. Epic Fail.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

And you may be correct, but you cannot discredit my opinion with another opinion. Yours is just as valid as mine.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I'd still like to know Obamas views on this, he felt strongly enought to comment on the mosque, I guess with all of the talk about muslim backlash, and dangers to Americans abroad he maybe should say something, but I guess it just doesn't fit his plans. Epic Fail.

It looks like he just gave his view on this subject.

www.cnn.com... t=T2

"You could have serious violence in places like Pakistan or Afghanistan," Obama told ABC's "Good Morning America." "This could increase the recruitment of individuals who'd be willing to blow themselves up in American cities or European cities." Obama said he hoped the pastor, Terry Jones, understands that the planned burning is a "destructive act" that may have a dangerous fallout. "I just want him to understand that this stunt that he is talking about pulling could greatly endanger our young men and women in uniform who are in Iraq, who are in Afghanistan. We're already seeing protests against Americans just by the mere threat of it," Obama said.

There it is, the President of the United States complaining about the actions of some nut that should have been irrelevant should the media have ignored him.

Now half of America will be wondering where the President stands on flag burning, bible burning, statues in piss, or whatever. Why is koran burning a stunt that brings out Presidential condemnation while flag or bible burning is accepted expressions of diversity?

Oh boy the next few months will be interesting....

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
It's called freedom of speech. There's nothing for him to comment on. He's not stupid.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join