It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weary of drug war, Mexico debates legalization

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Article

MEXICO CITY — A debate about legalizing marijuana and possibly other drugs — once a taboo suggestion — is percolating in Mexico , a national exhausted by runaway violence and a deadly drug war.

The debate is only likely to grow more animated if Californians approve an initiative on Nov. 2 to legalize marijuana for recreational use in their state.

As he held a series of open forums with politicians and civic leaders about faltering security, Calderon suddenly found himself amid a groundswell of suggestions that legalization — which he described as "absurd" — should be considered.

"We should consider legalizing the production, distribution and sale of drugs," Fox wrote on his blog during the series of forums. "Legalizing in this sense does not mean that drugs are good or don't hurt those who consume. Rather, we have to see it as a strategy to strike and break the economic structure that allows the mafias to generate huge profits in their business."

"If drugs are not legalized in the world, or if drugs are not legalized at least in the United States , this is simply absurd, because the price of drugs is not determined in Mexico . The price of drugs is determined by consumers in Los Angeles , or in New York , or in Chicago or Texas ," he said.

Looks like the war on drugs is slowly being lost. If drugs are legalized in Mexico, I wonder how that will affect the US. I would think everything would become more easily available. I would also think the Law Enforcement agencies here in the US would be pretty mad at the same time to. I dont support the drug war, but if every kind of drug got fully legalized, Im not sure if that would be the right thing to do, considering Mr. Fox said "We should consider legalizing the production, distribution and sale of drugs." Heroin, PCP, Cocaine, I dont think those kinds of drugs should be produced and sold by the government. I could see medical use, but thats the only thing.

I find it kind of amusing that the prices of drugs are "determined by consumers in Los Angeles , or in New York , or in Chicago or Texas ." All the killing down in Mexico, and the prices are determined in the US. One of the countries in the world with the hardest drug laws, and, of course, drug prices are being determined here.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
From a purely economic sense, the idea of lealizing drugs in Mexico makes little sense. What would happen is increased production to supply high demand in the US and other nations. Mexican drugs would flood the american market because they would not have the pressures of hiding their production from the authorities. Thus, the Mexican cartels would have a huge advantage over production in, say, the US. They would be able to manufacture the drugs cheaper and still turn higher profits causing them to become even more prosperous.

What legalizing drugs in Mexico would do would be to put more money into the hands of drug lords giving them more opportunity to undermine or control government officials and take over the Mexican government.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Of course prices are determined here in the U.S.....we have probably the BIGGEST illegal drug market of any country in the world. Hell, Marijuana is the #1 cash crop in America yet "technically" it's still illegal. That's why these mafia-types are willing to kill thousands of people if they have to in order to get the drugs into our hands...Because WE'RE the only ones who can afford to get "f-ed up" so to speak. I mean how many people around the world, especially in 3rd-world countries, can afford to "pay money" in order to potentially harm their body?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by soontide
From a purely economic sense, the idea of lealizing drugs in Mexico makes little sense. What would happen is increased production to supply high demand in the US and other nations. Mexican drugs would flood the american market because they would not have the pressures of hiding their production from the authorities. Thus, the Mexican cartels would have a huge advantage over production in, say, the US. They would be able to manufacture the drugs cheaper and still turn higher profits causing them to become even more prosperous.

What legalizing drugs in Mexico would do would be to put more money into the hands of drug lords giving them more opportunity to undermine or control government officials and take over the Mexican government.

Hmm...I disagree with this concept simply because I believe that at the moment, the cartels have control of drug production. If Mexico were to, say....legalize marijuana, then MANY MANY people would start producing their own marijuana (as easy as growing a garden...) This would CUT into the bottom line of the Cartels, taking money from them, which results in less weapons, less violence. By keeping it "illegal" the government basically states "You have to break a law in order to produce Marijuana...." but this doesn't DETER a Cartel that breaks the law on a repeat basis. Basically it's the same effect that gun-laws have....They take guns OUT of people's hands who would use them for protection, it doesn't stop CRIMINALS from getting their hands on it as they wouldn't be able to get a gun in the first place if they were a criminal (legally) , but they can use the black market ect in order to buy weapons....

In conclusion: Laws ONLY work if it curtails the production of the drugs. Since Mexico's law enforcement can't keep the Cartels from producing drugs, the law literally has NO effect (except on law-abiding people). Yet if they legalize it, then law-abiding people can produce their own drugs and THAT cuts into the profits of the Cartels, thus taking power from them....

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Go mexico, undermine the corrupt US politicians...

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I recall this being discussed several years (4-5 years ??) ago before any cartel violence was widespread news. My sense at the time was that it would be silenced and that's exactly what occured. I wouldn't be surprised if the U.S. made all sorts of threats so Mexico would reconsider their intentions. I wonder if things will repeat the same way.

2006/04/29: U.S. cautious on Mexico plan to legalize drugs

MEXICO CITY — The United States reacted cautiously on Saturday to a Mexican measure that would make it legal to carry small amounts of coc aine, heroin and other drugs for personal use.

edit on 9/8/2010 by EnlightenUp because: Add at least one source from 2006 so I don't seem nuts, because I'm not actually nuts, but I am.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
It still amazes me that we are all wrapped up in problems on the other side of the world yet right next door we have these situations going on in Mexico? Seems someone in our higher ups would be wanting to intervene in Mexico to help with the situation. But if you buy the story that the government is involved with the drug racket then I guess it makes sense that the are doing little to nothing to help stop the nonsense down there.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

I remember that to. I dont recall ever really seeing it all over the news or anything. It was kind of just quietly swept in. They did it in 2009 also.

From the OP source,

Legislators in August 2009 quietly decriminalized the possession of less than 5 grams of marijuana, the equivalent of about four joints. Tiny amounts of coc aine, heroin, ecstasy, '___', and methamphetamine also are no longer subject to criminal penalties.

Again in 2009, it was quietly introduced.

It dosent look like small amounts of legalization worked. I guess we will have to see how full-legalization goes.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I didn't know the small scale legalization was already introduced, very interesting. Thanks for sharing...

I say just do it, worth the risk... Country needs to get off of the USA's sack and do their own thing.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Thanks. I didn't know that anything actually, but eventually, happened to move in the correct direction. Decriminalizing might help stunt the flow of petty transgressors into prisons but it really doesn't take control away from the cartels who are still the main suppliers.

Alcohol prohibition in the U.S. didn't criminalize the posession of alcohol per se but only the manufacture, sale, transportation, import and export.

18th Amendment to the U.S Constitution:

Section 1. After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.

So, Al Capone really wasn't hurt by such a policy.

edit on 9/8/2010 by EnlightenUp because: MU~spelling and words~MU

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElijahWan
Of course prices are determined here in the U.S.....we have probably the BIGGEST illegal drug market of any country in the world. Hell, Marijuana is the #1 cash crop in America yet "technically" it's still illegal. That's why these mafia-types are willing to kill thousands of people if they have to in order to get the drugs into our hands...Because WE'RE the only ones who can afford to get "f-ed up" so to speak. I mean how many people around the world, especially in 3rd-world countries, can afford to "pay money" in order to potentially harm their body?

In many other countries outside of the states marijuana is actually very cheap to obtain. A lot less expensive than in the states. But the punishments for possessing such substances in these countries is very very harsh. In some countries you can get executed (not executed for marijuana I don't think but other drugs yes, but you get the point) for being in possession of said drug. As far a full out legalization, I believe it comes to supply and demand. If it's fully legal the supply will increase, more people will grow more, and the demand may stay the same or increase but inevitably prices would go down so in essence all the drug cartel people most likely wouldn't be making much more money, if they made more money at all.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
they should start with just legalizing marijuana, its the main cash crop and its far less harmful then the other hard drugs...its even safer then alcohol. They could tax it and make a lot of money off of it, then spend their resources on trying to root out the hard drugs, and im sure the US would eventually follow suit. Hopefully people would put the hard drugs down and use the legal alternatives instead (not everyone will though).

and while I believe a person should be able to take whatever they want, if you've ever seen someone raging on coc aine and PCP...well....thats a pretty scary thing.

new topics

top topics

join