It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK needs 'Minister for Space' to help drive sector's dramatic growth, MPs told

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

UK needs 'Minister for Space' to help drive sector's dramatic growth, MPs told

www.telegraph.co .uk

Such a high level political appointment would drive industry investment and help ensure the UK space sector maintained “momentum” generated by recent technological advances and innovation.

The Commons Science and Technology Committee heard that maintaining funding levels to the UK Space Agency was “essential” for repairing Britain’s fragile economy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Damn right! Let's get this intergalactic council show on the road!

I understand budget cuts are necessary don't get me wrong. I have unfortunately had some first hand experience recently. I can also see how for the public the British Space Program should be first on the chopping board. However...

"It could also help prevent a brain drain of talented scientists and engineers to other countries."

This is the most intelligent point in the article and the centre of the issue for me. I know that many of my friends have gone abroad after graduating mainly to Australia and the US. Couple this with foreign graduates emigrating here getting their degrees and heading back home, and the result is a severe 'brain drain.' We may not see the effects of this now but in ten years time it's going to be a lot more obvious.

To combat this the Coalition government are in the process of capping the number of foreign nationals studying in the UK. Couple this with investment in the UK Space Program and you have a recipe for massive economic growth in this country.

www.telegraph.co .uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Hmms, would go with the so called Green Enviroment Investment, Cuts Cuts Cuts. The UK will go down the pan before any new investment is lodged by the present Government. You just have to look at the cutbacks which is happening at present. They will not invest any more money in the UK Space Agency.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
This current govt is all about making promises that turn out to be just another way to give no-bid contracts to their backers. Webcameron, George "Red Lips" Osborne and co must have decided they deserve a higher ivory tower to look down on the taxpayer from, an ISS of elitism if you will...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
This thread bombed

Thanks for the replies though folks! I appreciate the interest!

top topics

join