It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LA City Council Argues That Making A Profit Should Be Illegal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
A quote from L.A. City Councilman Dennis Zine, commenting on people making profits:

The people who are simply trying to make a profit are the ones messing it up

Of course, the profit motive has worked quite well since the dawn of man as a means of lifting society out of poverty.

For example, Let us say a man sells me a hot dog for a dollar. I voluntarily agree to this because, at that moment, I value the hot dog more than I value the dollar. The man selling me the hot dog also benefits because he values the dollar more than the hot dog.

As such transactions occur cumulatively across an entire economy, all of society benefits from the specialization of trade and the accumulation of capital which can be invested or spent later at their discretion. If the man is able to sell a lot of hot dogs for a profit, eventually he will be able to buy a bigger restaurant, hire more workers, buy a nicer car, or take a vacation.

Councilman Zine argues that this should not be so. He’s apparently pretty upset that someone would attempt to acquire capital above operating costs through the sale of goods. Of course, if no one ever acquired capital above operating costs, no business would ever be able to expand, no research would ever be conducted, and no salaries would ever increase.

We would be living in a stagnant void where nothing ever progressed or changed.

To a Marxist Utopian like Zine, who has never held a for-profit private sector job in his life, yet is somehow a millionaire, the act of making profits without the use of State sanctioned coersion is something that must be destroyed at every opportunity.

The plebes must not be allowed to profit – ever – or they might get rich enough to figure out they don’t need statist rulers like himself telling them how to run their lives.

edit on 8-9-2010 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Good to see people are finally seeing that if one gets the upper end, another gets the lower. More and more i see the selfish turning into the selfless.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

I think a really big illusion in a lot of people's minds is that economics is a zero-sum game. I'm not sure why they would think this except maybe they see that there's a finite amount of money at any given time, naïvely not realizing that money is not synonymous with wealth.

But I'm not sure how to quickly dispel the zero-sum "if I win somebody else must lose" illusion. Asking them how many iPods there were in 1000 AD doesn't seem to do anything.

ETA: The above poster is a case in point.

edit on 8-9-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Polticians should work for free then since all they make is profit.
Politicians produce nothing and only exist to further restrict people liberties.

Here where I live the want to raise taxes 10% across the board and the had a meeting last night about it to hear public comment. The comments were 100% against it but they said it was nessessary and will likely raise the taxes in 2011 anyway.

The people spoke and they listened but still went on with the plans regardless of what we the people had to say.

This is soft tyranny in action.

The best part is they all all up for election this year.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Wow, WTF?

"The people who are simply trying to make a profit are the ones messing it up for those people that need it and those legitimate distributors who are trying to help people," said L.A. City Councilman Dennis Zine.

You are taking this way out of context. He's making a reference to medical marijuana. Not hot dogs. This is a sad little thread you have made, and I think you should at the very very very least... POST THE ENTIRE QUOTE before you go on your war against those Marxist Hippies.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SWCCFAN
Polticians should work for free then since all they make is profit.

I agree. Of course, this will never happen.

Politicians produce nothing and only exist to further restrict people liberties.

I agree.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

You don't think that same statement is exactly what Big Pharm is doing? What does it matter as per subject? It's ok for Big Pharm but not for medical pot dealers?? REALLY????

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatDGgirl

Because the state of medical marijuana legalization is fragile, and constantly under attack.

And the Council Man here is NOT saying profit should be illegal. He is making the point that it shouldn't be made into a business.

Which I sort of agree with until pot is legalized for everyone.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatDGgirl
reply to post by Miraj

You don't think that same statement is exactly what Big Pharm is doing? What does it matter as per subject? It's ok for Big Pharm but not for medical pot dealers?? REALLY????

Exactly.

It doesn't matter what industry Councilman Zine is talking about, he specifically has a problem with the profit motive itself.

It is clear by his statement he views profit taking as a crime that needs to be punished.

We could replace pot with soft drinks or cotton candy. It makes no difference.

edit on 8-9-2010 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

What the HELL does the product have to do with the price of water in an Iraqi desert?

Oh, I see, someone that works to grow or produce a product does not deserve ANYTHING except a pat on the back.

Hey, I guess pat on the backs fill the belly with all kinds of nutrients now?

Oh please people. What are you, a communist hippie?
Kind of a funny one.

I do NOT understand the mindset. Anyway, smoke em if you got em.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

I think the reason is constantly under attack is because if it DOES go across the board legal, the GOVT is losing huge amounts of $$$ because: no more arrests/fines for possession and even when they're able to tax the living hell out of and they'll STILL lose money. It's all about the $$$. God forbid it should go into the wrong pockets!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
While I do agree with a lot of your arguements,your post headline is misleading and the quote out of context.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by stillsearchin
While I do agree with a lot of your arguements,your post headline is misleading and the quote out of context.

Nothing is misleading and nothing is out of context.

The man has a problem with profits.

Period.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

They'd make more money taxing it. Which apparently the government can tax everything.

Ultimately they lose money sending all the people to jail. It's a drain on the system.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

They'd make more money taxing it. Which apparently the government can tax everything.

Ultimately they lose money sending all the people to jail. It's a drain on the system.

The government can not make money.

It can only take it, either through taxation or inflation.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Then why didn't you post the full quote. Or even mention the product involved here. Since Marijuana is illegal and only legal for medical use in a few states, this is a different set of circumstances. It's not a topic about hotdogs. It's a topic about Marijuana. You should include that in your post, because I doubt most people will do more than look at your half quote.

He also expresses an argument as to why they shouldn't profit it off of it. Not that I entirely agree with it, but you should at least let people know what the man was quoted over, and why. Deny ignorance my friend. Quit spinning this.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Oh no, there is HUGE profits in the drug incarceration business.

What do you think happens to all the money confiscated? Do you think they burn it?

Or how about all the fines? Or the seizure of property? All property owned by a person convicted of drug crimes is seized. Quite the racket involved.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Thats not true. The liquor stores here in Oregon are owned by the state of Oregon.

I think they make money there.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Well you do have a point there.

Still; It's time we demand they stop this prohibition. It didn't work with alcohol, it sure as hell isn't working with pot.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

Then why didn't you post the full quote. Or even mention the product involved here. Since Marijuana is illegal and only legal for medical use in a few states, this is a different set of circumstances. It's not a topic about hotdogs. It's a topic about Marijuana. You should include that in your post, because I doubt most people will do more than look at your half quote.

He also expresses an argument as to why they shouldn't profit it off of it. Not that I entirely agree with it, but you should at least let people know what the man was quoted over, and why. Deny ignorance my friend. Quit spinning this.

Because it doesn't matter what the product is.

People benefit from shoes - in fact - I would call shoes more of a necessity than medical pot.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join