It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

During war there are no civilians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

"During war there are no civilians," that’s what “Yossi,” an Israeli military (IDF) training unit leader simply stated during a round of questioning on day two of the Rachel Corrie trials, held in Haifa’s District Court earlier this week. “When you write a [protocol] manual, that manual is for war,” he added.

english.aljazeera.net...

This policy has to change

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
That statement reminds me of the US Policy that there are no "Wars" but rather "Police Actions" and as such there can be no POWs during "Police Actions" but "Enemy Combatants".

A rose by any other name...you can try to call a goose a duck...you can put lipstick on a pit-bull...but no matter how you try to dress it up, it's all the same.

The one thing one has to admire about the Redcoats of yesteryear is that they vehemently disbelieved in the notion that "All is fair in love and war". Their empire wrote the playbook on proper etiquette in War by playing by the unwritten rules of fairness. They may have lost their empire by playing by that book, but they gained respect and ushered in a whole new era of Treaties by which most of the world abides during war.

I don't understand why Israel, like the United States, seems to believe that they are beyond reproach from the International community. Unfortunately all the UN will do is write a stern letter using harsh words of opposition.

Why do we even bother playing with Israel? And we wonder why there is so much hatred and animosity in the Middle East and why it gets directed at us when we meddle by backing Israel even when they do things that no other country on this planet could get away with. All one has to do is look at Israel's policies to see why there will never be peace in the Middle East.

(Disclaimer: I'm not anti-Semitic. I don't believe in a Pan-Global Jewish Conspiracy. I just personally think that the Israeli government's policies are asinine at best and at this point don't feel that we are doing anyone any justice to side with them.)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
That statement reminds me of the US Policy that there are no "Wars" but rather "Police Actions" and as such there can be no POWs during "Police Actions" but "Enemy Combatants".

A rose by any other name...you can try to call a goose a duck...you can put lipstick on a pit-bull...but no matter how you try to dress it up, it's all the same.

The one thing one has to admire about the Redcoats of yesteryear is that they vehemently disbelieved in the notion that "All is fair in love and war". Their empire wrote the playbook on proper etiquette in War by playing by the unwritten rules of fairness. They may have lost their empire by playing by that book, but they gained respect and ushered in a whole new era of Treaties by which most of the world abides during war.

I don't understand why Israel, like the United States, seems to believe that they are beyond reproach from the International community. Unfortunately all the UN will do is write a stern letter using harsh words of opposition.

Why do we even bother playing with Israel? And we wonder why there is so much hatred and animosity in the Middle East and why it gets directed at us when we meddle by backing Israel even when they do things that no other country on this planet could get away with. All one has to do is look at Israel's policies to see why there will never be peace in the Middle East.

(Disclaimer: I'm not anti-Semitic. I don't believe in a Pan-Global Jewish Conspiracy. I just personally think that the Israeli government's policies are asinine at best and at this point don't feel that we are doing anyone any justice to side with them.)

Hold on a minute, in order to get the protections of those treaties, you have to abide by them , which means wearing a recognizable uniform and abiding by the rules of war, which means not hiding in religious buildings school bldgs, hospitals etc....

So don't tell me that the US didn't abide by the treaties inafghanistan and Iraq, because it was the other side who negated their protections based on the tactics they used.

Jaden

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Masterjaden

Don't think a country of rag tag combatants fighting an occupying power gives a toss about uniforms etc. Thats like me storming into your house and blowing a hole in your head and as my defence I claim you were out of uniform. I know, bit of an exageration, but these combatants are fighting to survive not to score points.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus

they are "Enemy Combatants" because they refuse to wear a uniform to distinguish themselves as targets.

hey, wait a minute... how many plane clothed cia agents and other usa assets are there walking around in warzones wearing local attire, not wearing uniforms?

and...

maybe the "Enemy Combatants" couldn't afford the uniforms to wear after capitalistic coorperations sold them overpriced weapons that they were convinced they would need ....

just some thoughts,
et

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pockets

"During war there are no civilians," that’s what “Yossi,” an Israeli military (IDF) training unit leader simply stated during a round of questioning on day two of the Rachel Corrie trials, held in Haifa’s District Court earlier this week. “When you write a [protocol] manual, that manual is for war,” he added.

english.aljazeera.net...

This policy has to change

During war there most certainly ARE civilians, as outlined in the 4th Geneva Convention.

If Israel wants to admit that it is war, fine. Let the war crimes tribunals commence.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Titan Uranus

Exactly. Modern wars are so un-fair that the only way for these 'terrorists' to compete on even a remotely even footing is by using pretty revolting tactics. This is the problem. Islam has been backed into a corner and is justifiably fighting tooth and nail for survival and freedom from out of control western tyrannies.

new topics

top topics

join