It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even bugs have personality.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Individual insects and bugs may all look alike to human eyes, but each and every one is unique and possesses its own personality, suggests new research that also helps to explain how personality arises in virtually all organisms

I think this is quite a discovery. Not so long ago, animals were not supposed to be smart... Let alone have a personality.
New studies did not only showed that bugs have a personality, but that it is unique in any other bug as well.

I don't know about you, but this definitely explains why I get the feeling that some flies really are tormenting me.
They watch you, test you, and after a while they act like they own you, and do it all on purpose

"Boldness, explorativeness, activity and aggressiveness are the main personality traits usually measured because these connect to each other and appear together," lead author Eniko Gyuris told Discovery News.

Astonishing isn't it ?

Source :.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
lol that took how much research?

Just by looking at a couple fly's you can notice different color's and size's. They also do that little wierd hand rubbing thing all a little different.... my job suck's lol

I agree some of those fly's are out to get you till they die. crazy SOB's

Im sure upon easy inspection they are all very different

except spider's, they are all just SCARY

edit on 8-9-2010 by GummB because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
That's cool! Star and flag.

I'm not a creepy crawler type, but certain bugs like spiders, preying mantis etc. really intrigue me and I find them adorable.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Well, I remember having to use a chisel to cut and splice 2 by 12 joists all about the house where ants had nested. It is always fun to perform surgical reconstruction on an old house. Thank God for polyurethane glue and sharpening stones.

But years later, seeing a carpenter ant near my keypad, I routinely flicked the life out of it but not before noticing the sign of surrender the ant gestured at me. Too late. I punted it like it was a football. And I felt terrible after that. Since then I am expert at catching flies or even communicating them to a rescue flotilla by which I could release them unharmed. I am certain that they have complete consciousness, everything does. I am not spending eternity anywhere without my animals. That is a fact.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Love the thread - just love it! Thank you!

Now, tell me - is this personality, or what!

edit on 8-9-2010 by silo13 because: bbc code

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by davidmann

I'm having a complete mental moment trying to remember what the name of this little tool is - so I can post the url for the website - but between now and then here's something you'll want to invest in!

It's cheap, harmless for the little bug and easy yo use, etc.

Be right back with the name and URL! Or maybe someone will beat me to it first! There was a thread a bit back about spiders - anyone remember?

peace

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The ones that fly into my lamp aren't very smart.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I absolutely love that spider. I really would like you to remember that bug catcher. I want one to.

Reply to post by Davidman

I think I can relate. I've saved a fly once that thought it was a fish, but found out coffee isn't swim proof. I even blew it dry. That little bugger did not fly away from me anymore. It spend the whole winter in my house. I didn't even know flies could get that old.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

YAY! I found it!

Here's the url for the Spider Catcher

Enjoy!

And as an added bonus for today...

Here's a little bug I have the willies over.
I absolutely can't stand them.
I worked for years on a ALS rig - nothing got to me - not smashed heads in car accidents, burn victims, nope, nothing made my stomach roll.

But these guys...

Taking a look at him in this form? All blown up and all?

I can almost like them.

Notice I said almost...

Guess what this is!

I
I
I
I
I
I
I
V

Guess yet?

I
I
I
I
I
I
I
V

A MAGGOT! With personality of course!
(Ewww! Notice the fangs)!

peace

edit on 10-9-2010 by silo13 because: spelling

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Thanks for the link.

Maybe a sea cucumber ? I really don't know.

mmm

edit on 9/10/2010 by Sinter Klaas because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It always amazes me what science 'discovers' that is quite obvious to most poeple. Or maybe not, but i've always liked insencts and spent a lot of time observing them so it was obvious to me anyway just from watching.

My tarantulas all have very different personalities too. One is a grumpy, one is always sweet and friendly, one is almost OCD-like in her constant tidying up and housekeeping.

'Moan the insects. They are little lives too. Maybe this will may people think twice when they squich them just for being there. Maybe one day something that thinks we're worth nothing will come along and squish us too.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

Scary actually. Looking back, I've not always been very nice to bugs. I have committed some murdering sprees where I feel very ashamed for right now.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I used to live in NYC and while I was there, I was cordially greeted every morning by a cockroach on the pillow next to me on my queen-sized futon. Mind you, our apartment was immaculate but somehow that cockroach found its way in. Not just in - onto my (other) pillow. It would just sit there smiling at me until I moved. Then somehow it was suddenly across the room. I don't know how it did it! It was like it had a teleporter or something.

At some point, I got tired of being taunted by this little bug and thought I'd out-clever it by having a rolled up newspaper next to my futon. No way. I swear that cockroach must have moved it every time because I could never find it where I left it. By the time I found it, that bug was long gone.

I loved living in NYC. I miss a lot of things about it, but that cockroach is one of my fondest memories of my years there.

Spiders are less humorous but nicer to have around the house. I welcome them.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

What an amazing story. Every morning ?

I've never even seen one in my life... I'm sometimes terrified by bugs, but sometimes I love them. I can't help it.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Well at least you are man, or woman, enought to feel bad about it. Star from me!

There's a new building being built down the road from me. The area was left for a while so all this long grass grew and there was loads of insect about. Then they ripped it all up. I always think to myself, we rip it up and don't think of the lives there. Someday something might come along and just tear up the earth to build a new intergalactic shopping center or something and just kill us all. Makes me think.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

That's just it. People were always taught that animals are just like robots. Only since recent times science is teaching us a different story. Still we are predators, killers, but we should not kill if it is unnecessary.

Do you remember an old cartoon ? Where the body was the place/ environment where the characters lived. The cells of the human body.

If small insects have a personality then I would think this also counts for bacteria and so on. On their level the world is also highly complex. In similar ways ours is.

Thank you very much.

edit on 9/10/2010 by Sinter Klaas because: To add a Thank you.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
A couple of years ago I started having trouble with my forearms. They were developing nickel-sized spots that rotted underneath, leaving holes that would repeatedly heal and then rot again. For months I couldn't change my bed because I pretty well lost the use of my hands and arms and was terribly weak and unwell.

When I could make my bed again I found the most enormous white-tail spider I've ever seen inside my pillow-case. Now I've seen plenty of these, they're quite common here and like hiding in shoes and clothing, but I'd never seen such a fat one before. And the ones I'd seen were either shy or aggressive. - One once stood on its hind legs and ran at me from across a room. But this one, it looked at me without moving and I felt trust, friendship even, coming from it. I had the feeling it had no idea of harming me, and took the regular feedings it was getting from me as an act of friendship.

So I did the only thing I could do; picked up the hard-cover book from beside my pillow and squashed this spider as hard and fast as it could, so at least it could die painlessly. - If I'd gone looking for something to catch it in it would most likely have hidden itself away somewhere else.

It left a horrid pool of greenish-grey blood soaking into my bed.

By the way, what finally healed my arms was a Zapper-type machine, bought off Ebay. Although the nerves will never be quite right again.

I used to have a phobia of spiders, but that experience cured it. Now I'm just sorry we can't communicate better with the myriads of "alien" creatures on our planet. However we don't yet even communicate very well with each other.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
this just "proves" we may be insects compared to something else

so, when you step on one, think twice

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Wow, I never thought insects could have personality.

Each individual firebug behaved in a unique manner that was consistent across all of the experiments. If a particular bug was classified as bold and brave, it acted that way under a variety of circumstances. The same held true for more tentative, less aggressive firebugs.

I was being thoughtless in thinking of them only as nasty little robotic creatures; this shows my perception was flawed. But of course, evolution encourages diversity in all species so as to strengthen their chances and grant them more opportunity. Not everybody can be or should be timid or an extreme risk-taker, even down to the insect level and beyond. The species needs a spectrum of behavior.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I live in a heavily wooded area of Northern Georgia - an area replete with pine trees. Pine trees tend to attract these little guys...

To be totally blunt, honest, and laying it all out on the table... I don't care if one of these things walks into my house reciting Shakespeare. playing Guitar, and channeling the spirit of Ghandi...

It's getting smooshed.

new topics

top topics

join