It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can people in a coma hear you? I think they can...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Last Friday, my mother in law lost consciousness (she recently had a quadruple bypass), and was rushed via ambulance to the hospital. She coded (i.e. Code Blue) at least 6 times that day, had to be resuscitated, and has been in a coma since. Last night, they told us the EEG isn't looking promising, and of course my wife (patient's daughter), and my mother in law's partner both kind of lost it.

Soon after, I went in to visit her in the CVICU (Cardio Vascular ICU)...and basically kept telling her to wake up repeatedly, explaining to her what was happening, etc. I did this for about a half hour, then went back out to the waiting room.

By then, they had calmed down enough to go in and see her. They'd been in for about 15 min, when my wife came out and told me that her eyes opened up!

Could just be coincidence of course, and we still don't know just how out of it she still is, but at least it's a good sign she's coming around. Still, enough for me to think that talking to folks in a coma doesn't do any harm, but could do a whole lot of good.

I'm not naive enough to state conclusively that she heard me, but hey, any port in a storm right? And what harm can it do?

So, if you're ever faced with this (and I hope none of you are), just remember that talking to them may just be what they need.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
i was in a coma for 7 days. after 3 or 4 i was in a very deep coma and the doc prepered my family that there was slim chance that i was goin to wake up again. then my ex came up with my son. he climd up in my bed and sad, daddy kan you here me!!. and my family told me i reacted to his toutch . i tryd to get up and put my arm around the boy. i have no memory of this. but there is no doubt in mind that coma patients can hear

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Great story! Thanks for sharing that (and it helps give me a bit more hope for my current situation).

new topics

join