It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 astriods to pass between earth and the moon today

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

2 astriods to pass between earth and the moon today

2 astriods to pass close to earth today. One is 32-65 ft. and will pass at 154,000 miles away at 5:51 PM. The astriod 20-46 ft. and will pass at 49,000 away at 5:12 PM. Get your telescopes out for this rare event.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
With all this science and tech how come they dont know the exact size? It was mentioned that these astriods are break off from some astriod that broke apart last year. Passing close by earth between the moon.. heh. The other day a astriod hit Columbia South America and left a huge crater yet barely made any news (and that was from YouTube wittinesses. So do we really expect the truth that they won't hit..
Notice so many times in the past they don't even report a close call of an astriod to the earth until after it had already passed by..

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
news.blogs.cnn.com...

i'm such a loser for not owning a telescope!!
I've been meaning to get one but I spend too much on ordering out

Now enough with all the useless wars, we need planetary defenses!!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by watchtowermaya

Originally posted by watchtowermaya
Notice so many times in the past they don't even report a close call of an astriod to the earth until after it had already passed by..

Just because you don't hear about nearby asteroids until after they've passed doesn't mean they aren't known about or that the information is being suppressed.

You just gotta know where to look.

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

[edit on 8/9/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Oh this will certainly be interesting, weird no reports with regards to this on the Mainstream News. Oh wells if it strays off course and hits us, we will not need any new reports. We Will All Be Dead!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

I'll take the liberty of providing a link that you missed.

Two asteroids to pass close to Earth on Wednesday

Please show me some proof of the crater from Columbia. For more information read here.

Edit: Somehow missed the link ModernAcademia posted.

[edit on 9/8/2010 by Three_moons]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

An asteroid did not hit Colombia. What was seen was a common fireball, and it did not impact. As for this event and one's like it, the reason it's not reported in the news is because it's a non-event. They're not going to hit Earth and very few people care about things like asteroids since they are very hard to see with a telescope and you have to know what you're doing. This excludes most people, so the news agencies don't want to waste their time on a story that won't boost their ratings.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Well, hope they don't hit! In all seriousness, I believe the sizes preclude any "End of the world" scenarios, although a hit could be regionally devastating in a small area in the case that it did happen.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Really? No MSM coverage? Do people even look for things?

TIME
MSNBC
FOX
CBS
CNN

Honestly, it's probably better if they didn't cover these stories. Look what picture CBS puts on the article for 2 harmless asteroids. *facepalm*

[edit on 9/8/2010 by Three_moons]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Here's another site link to the site I watch the info on incoming and outgoing objects....

www.hohmanntransfer.com...

This is the infor for the closest one to earth

2010 RF12 - intruder

Approximate diameter: 7 meters (H=28.289)
Closest Earth approach: 0.21 LD at 2112 UTC today
Inside Earth-Moon system: 0149 UTC today until 1635 UTC tomorrow
Inside Earth's Hill sphere: 5 to 12 Sept.
Inside ten LD of Earth: 31 Aug. until 17 Sept.
Closest Moon approach: 0.28 LD at 1355 UTC tomorrow
Inside one LD of Moon: 2035 UTC today until 0739 UTC on 10 Sept.

Data based on: JPL SSD orbit solution #5 downloaded yesterday based on 83 observations spanning 2 days Optical observation: observed from 15 locations during 1.7387 days discovered at 0942 UTC on 5 Sept. by the Mt. Lemmon Survey last observed at 0326 UTC yesterday by Cordell-Lorenz Obs.

Enjoy watching the activity.

[edit on 8-9-2010 by Tayesin]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Well it looks like the first of the two already passed about 4 hours ago, but the second one is still en route. The smaller of the two and from the graphic I looked at it will pass very close to both the Earth and the moon. Not worried about any impact but what odes worry me is that these objects were only discovered on Sunday, thats 3 days ago. Objects that if the trajectory were just slightly different would pose the threat of impact. Should we believe that they were only discovered 72 hours ago or the trajectory was changed over the past weekend a al Deep Impact or Armegeddon. We have satellites that have passed outside of our own solar system now, but only discover objects passing closer than our own moon within days of said passing.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Three_moons

Not where I live it has not been reported. Maybe they do not think it is important enough to report!
Besides I do not watch american news channels!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

First of all .. they do know the size.. one is 32 to 65 feet in size the other 20 to 46 feet in size...

2nd of all... That "asteroid" MEOTORITE in colombia.. NEVER hit land.. there is no crater.. It burned up in the atmosphere.. Please do some research before posting false claims.. I know, others are doing the same thing.... But if you look deep enough youll find the truth..

3rd... IT DID MAKE THE NEWS...

Did you foget about the 2nd "impact" in colombia?? Oh wait.. as the investigator said.. "It might have been a explosion at a drug lab"...

News is becoming like high school with the rumor wheels.. Once they get rolling ..they just keep going!!!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
Well it looks like the first of the two already passed about 4 hours ago, but the second one is still en route. The smaller of the two and from the graphic I looked at it will pass very close to both the Earth and the moon. Not worried about any impact but what odes worry me is that these objects were only discovered on Sunday, thats 3 days ago.

That's not at all surprising and it's even expected given their small size; we do not have the capability to detect such tiny asteroids if they're much farther away than that. Just last month the larger of the two was sitting at magnitude 26. The limiting magnitude for the best automated sky surveys is about magnitude 20. 2010 RX30 didn't cross that threshold until Saturday and it was detected by Sunday night. That's not bad at all for what the current coverage is capable of detecting.

We have satellites that have passed outside of our own solar system now, but only discover objects passing closer than our own moon within days of said passing.

I fail to see how those two facts are related. Our Voyager satellites are tracked by detecting their active radio transmissions, and even that requires very large radio telescopes pointed right where we expect them to be located based on their known orbits. If we had to detect ANY of our deep space probes from earth without the aid of their active radio transmissions we'd be hopelessly incapable of doing so.

[edit on 8-9-2010 by ngchunter]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
[edit on 9/8/2010 by hhcore]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I need to buy a telescope. And I hate myself for putting it off all the time. *hangs head*

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mother1138
I need to buy a telescope. And I hate myself for putting it off all the time. *hangs head*

Don't beat yourself up over this event; the telescope you need for spotting such a small NEO is considerably expensive, and you need a very good camera as well; they're generally too faint to be seen by eye through the scope, even at this close range. I think I *might* have capture 2010 RX30 early this morning my time, but it required precise astrometric techniques just to find it in the image. It's certainly not something I could have done as a beginner. I don't say that to discourage you, but just as a warning of how much time and money you have to put into this hobby to make it work at that level.

edit on 8-9-2010 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I am always stunned when these suddenly "appear" on short notice, what an exciting life we live... i would rather go naturally by something like a comet strike than slowly in a hospital or from a manmade disaster or virus...

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

My apologies for having been a bit snippy, making assumptions and not paying attention.
I guess they wanted to keep you in the dark about this one, err...two.
American MSM to the rescue for a change?

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Well these ones missed but I find it interesting that one came close enough to us for Earth's gravity to have made it change course

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/19a1f1b4f417.jpg[/atsimg]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join