It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does ATS have the ''ignore'' feature ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Hello.

I was wondering why ATS has the ''ignore poster'' option ?

Considering that the site's motto is ''deny ignorance'', having this option seems to contradict this message.

If someone has a viewpoint that you personally find obnoxious on one topic, then that doesn't mean that they won't raise interesting thoughts on another.

ATS appears to be endorsing ignorance in this instance, by including this feature within the forum.

To me, the ''ignore'' function is the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears, and saying: ''nah, nah, nah, I can't hear what you're saying'', and is used mainly as a coping mechanism for people that are uncomfortable at acknowledging and thinking about someone's viewpoint that they personally find distressing.

So, I'm just curious as to why ATS endorses this option.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Trolls.

It really is that simple.

It's also an effective way to avoid getting banned if a poster decides to chase you around the board trying to wind you up because you have upset them in some way.

I've had a few people on ignore - I usually take them off once the thread has disappeared off into the cyber-ether...

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I agree.

I mean, I used to agree.

I always thought the same...
"deny ignorance".. but have an "ignore" feature?
Seemed like promoting ignorance to me.

Then, my perspective changed.

There are soo many people here,
and soo many, purely ignorant people amongst them..

Sometimes it is better to just completely forget about certain individuals here.
Ignore function works well for that.

Some of them contribute absolutely nothing but trollish posts and garbage to "stir the pot" .

I cannot handle those people (perhaps it is my own ignorance that still resides within me), Ok, it most likely is my own ignorance that makes me feel this way.

But I cannot help but to say something to these truly ignorant fools when they continue to post pure BS.

It is better for everyone, if I just do not see the crap that some people post here.
Hence, I started using the ignore feature, just about a month ago.

I never used, or cared for the "foe" feature either,
But I started implementing that around the same time as the ignore feature.

There are a few individuals who I just cannot stand.
(again, my own ignorance) , but it is what it is,
and i just dont care anymore.

if someone is an ass,
and continues to be an ass in the majority of their posts,
I no longer hesitate to ignore them, or foe them. lol

whatever.
as I said, it's better for everyone..

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski
Trolls.

But, I'm sure ATS already has provision for banning trolls, so there's no real need for the ''ignore'' feature, to prevent them.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

But, I'm sure ATS already has provision for banning trolls, so there's no real need for the ''ignore'' feature, to prevent them.

The problem with this happens when people start to throw the word "troll" around as a synonym for "anyone who debates or disagrees with my opinion".

One mans "troll" is another mans treasure.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

There are many different types of troll, and some of them are quite adept at staying within the T&C whilst exhibiting typical trollish behaviour that doesn't quite cross the line, and lead to a ban.

Blatant trolls are usually banned pretty quickly, but some are quite insidious, and have the only aim of de-railing threads that do not fit their agenda, and promoting threads that do.

A quick search of "Troll Types" will show you just how many types of troll there are, and just how subtle they can be.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I can see a need for the feature...some people might want it...personally I never have and never will use it. I believe every message posted has potential value, whether it's by a troll or not. No matter the content, I still want to be able to read messages by anyone. I could ignore someone for posting crap, or something I completely disagree with, but I'm just canceling out opposing viewpoints to my own, and they could very well make an important post in the future which I miss because I ignored them.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose
There are soo many people here,
and soo many, purely ignorant people amongst them..

Sometimes it is better to just completely forget about certain individuals here.
Ignore function works well for that.

Some of them contribute absolutely nothing but trollish posts and garbage to "stir the pot" .

The thing is, though, that just because someone may post nauseating and ignorant views on a social issue, for example, doesn't mean that they won't post an intelligent and informative post on cryptozoology.

ATS appears to encourage people to ''play the man, instead of the ball'', by incorporating the ''ignore'' feature on these forums.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by budski
Trolls.

I am delighted to see that your ATS experience thus far has been one where you can't see the need for the ignore feature.

Which is all to say that you have not yet encountered the kind of raging arse that would lead you to understand. I don't foe people...but the two or three I have on Ignore have subsequently been banned by the mods.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
There are a number of threads on this topic.

Please add your comments to one of those threads.

Closed.

top topics

join