It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Mars

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+117 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7fe97da0d915.jpg[/atsimg]

1. Ancient Mars in Mythology

Was there civilized life on ancient Mars? Was there a humankind there? This piece looks at possible hints of lost memories in Mythology and combines them with the findings of modern science.

The NASA named a place on Mars "Shalbatana Lake" after the ancient Mesopotamian name for Mars: Salbatanu. The ruler of Salbatanu was an entity called Nergal. The Mesopotamians associted Salbatanu with warfare and fire.

Ancient Chinese astronomers named the planet Mars the "Fire Star." And according to ancient Chinese mythology, Mars is personified as a powerful red-faced warrior, living at the east end of heaven causing many wars

The planet was known by the ancient Egyptians as "Horus of the Horizon",[6] then later Her Deshur[7] ("Ḥr Dšr"[citation needed]), or "Horus the Red".[8] The Hebrews named it Ma'adim (מאדים) — "the one who blushes"; this is where one of the largest canyons on Mars, the Ma'adim Vallis, gets its name.[7] The Chinese and Korean cultures refer to the planet as 火星, or the fire star, a name based on the ancient Chinese mythological cycle of Five elements.[9] In ancient China, the advent of Mars was taken as a portent for "bane, grief, war and murder".[10]

NASAs transport ship is named "Ares" after the Greek ruler of Mars who is associated, again, with war, bloodthirst, destruction, but also manliness, manhood and power. In ancient Rome Mars was simply called "The God of War", based on all previous civilizations associations. The Norse equivalent of this entity is probably Thor, the "God of Thunder".

In the Jewish Kabbala, Mars is the fifth Sefirot and represents Power on the one side and Fear on the other.

In Hindu/Sanskrit the ruler of Mars is called Mangale, Angaraka and Kuja.

Mangala (Devanagari: मंगल, Maṅgala) is the name for Mars, the red planet. Mars is also called Angaraka ('one who is red in colour'[1] or Bhauma ('son of Bhumi') in Sanskrit. He is the god of war and is celibate.

Hindu associations with Mars are also valour, strength and courage. And also "burning coal" and "fairness". Kuja is also associated with military, soldiers and agression.

The word Mars itself, comes from the Hindu "maruta", a word describing severe storms and winds.

Are these descriptions of Mars lost memories indicating the Destruction of Martian Civilization through warfare? Does a planet that, according to Science, once harboured water and is now barren, indicate vast nuclear warfare of such a grand scale that it was imprinted into the mythological memories of mankind?

2. Ancient Mars in Science

For those who dont want to read, here is a 2 Minute summary of the best "hard facts" for Life on Mars:

A few selected Science Articles:

It wasn't this hot, boiling cauldron. It was a benign, water-rich environment for a long period of time Jack Mustard, Brown University

Water widespread on early Mars

If Mars had an ocean, it must have had clouds and rain, snow in the highlands, ice caps forming, a groundwater system, and all of these things that we have here on Earth

Mars had an earth-like atmosphere?

Ancient Lake Beds spied by Nasa probe

More water on sncient Mars than previoulsy thought

Mars Methane Mystery deepens

NASA finds "missing" Mars Mineral

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c668c1aae46a.jpg[/atsimg]

3. Artificial Structures on Mars?

The Best Evidence for artificial structures on Mars are, in my opinion, not the "Face on Mars" or even the Pyramid-Complex (although that Complex is more compelling than the supposed "Face"), but the case of equally spaced objects on Mars.

One thing that does not appear in nature are equally spaced objects. These would be a sure sign of some type of artificial construction. Here´s such an image from Mars:

Opportunity Sol 1070
Courtesy: NASA/JPL

In this thread, these objects were determined to each be exactly 800 feet apart (more examples can be found in that thread).

The probability of nature showing several equally spaced objects is zero. This is why no rebuttal of these images has come up to this day.

Conclusion

The ancients connect Mars to War and Destruction. Mars looks barren today but scientists say that it may have had vast oceans and life. And there may be remnants of artificial structures on Mars.

These three points combined dont prove anything but they at least ask for further investigation and exploration.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Another awesome thread about life in mars....I love these...thanks for all the info...will be looking into it so I can grasp all the details in it...S&F for ya bro...Mars is my favorite subject and in my opinion NASA is just not telling us everything they know about Mars...
Regards,

ringht_n_wrong

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
You bet there was/is!~

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Ancient Chinese astronomers named the planet Mars the "Fire Star." And according to ancient Chinese mythology, Mars is personified as a powerful red-faced warrior, living at the east end of heaven causing many wars

Are these descriptions of Mars lost memories indicating the Destruction of Martian Civilization through warfare? Does a planet that, according to Science, once harboured water and is now barren, indicate vast nuclear warfare of such a grand scale that it was imprinted into the mythological memories of mankind?

I think the reason why you have so much ancient association with Mars as being red and hence connected with things like war, violence, bravery, etc. is because Mars really does appear slightly red. I really don't know for sure, but I'm guessing you can't see anything more than white light when viewing Mars with the naked eye, so my opinion could be bunk considering these were 'less advanced' people.

The planet usually appears orange or slightly red, though sometimes -- depending conditions in Earth's atmosphere -- it can look yellowish.

www.space.com...

I suppose you have to go back and see why red was associated with things like war, without any research I would take hints at things like blood and rage being the reason for associating war with the color red and hence associating Mars with war, etc. I really don't think its telling any kind of ancient warfare history.

The rest of it is interesting though and I've always been intrigued by the natural formations on Mars. Should make for an excellent discussion, thanks for the post.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
That was awesome thank you.

Still reading through some of the links. But I love the theory, I take it you read the recent BBC article about life on Mars?

www.bbc.co.uk...

We need to get up there, in all honesty I thought we would have landed a manned mission by now, instead we are all completely preoccupied with events on earth.

PS anyone else really looking forward to Doom 4 release?

[edit on 8-9-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchZEITGEISTnow
You bet there was/is!~

Great vid buddy! Loved it! All the evidence we need is right in front of our eyes....It seems like we're getting to a point where its gonna be impossible to deny that theres no evidence of life in Mars.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Excellent and well presented thread

I have always felt there is a lost history to Mars and that there is validity to the sedona region as well as the face. Turns out we were or should i say NASA was wrong about so many things about Mars. This should be a lesson in that there is much more to Mars than some barren desert like planet of nothing. I find the anomaly's fascinating and believe we need to have a manned mission sent to that Rosetta stone Phobos. I just have a feeling there is something waiting to be discovered there perhaps our original origins. I remember watching Robinson Crusoe on Mars as a kid and thinking perhaps there is some truth to the film? We shall see.

S&F

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Great thread. S&F

I especially loved the picture of the evenly spaced structures. I have never heard of that before and they really are amazing. They look like air vents but what would I know!!

I have always felt that Mars has alot more history and relevance to our planet. I feel that NASA know more than they are telling us. I dont mean this in a conspiracy form but that they have important information and maybe just havent figured it out yet!!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by watchZEITGEISTnow

Excellent quick summary of all the anomalies. I dont buy the pixelated "buildings" or the "face" but I do think the Pyramids of Cydonia, the Hole and especially the golf-ball Dome are very artificial looking.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

I don't know. My immediate connection to Red is Love and Sex, not War and Destruction.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
The fact that the objects were spaced 800 feet apart says that some
person was there with math skills, planning skills, and higher thinking abilities. Based on that alone, it verifies the pyramids and the face. The pyramids match the Pleides star system with their lay out. So the persons either came from Pledies, or left before the asteriod hit Mars hopefully. The water came to Earth, someone mentioned somewhere that we have more water on our planet than in ancient times. If Mars had all that water they had more atmosphere and were closer to Earth's orbit and temperatures orginally. I think the Mexican Sun/Moon pyramids are also laid out to match Pledies. These are worth going to see, I climbed the Sun Pyramid in 1984. It was an inspiring place! I wish they would just go over to Mars and explore it... what are we waiting for? Especially, if they have one of those capture downed UFO space ships. I would love to see Mars
and investigate al those anomolous areas, how much fun that will be for some astronaut!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
great thread makes me wish either the americans, russians, chinese what ever would just go for itand launch a manned expedition ASAP and set up a base and start looking for some real evidence instead of probes gathering inconclusive, open to interpretation photo's and samples.

Is anyone gonna put a permenant base on the moon officially that is? Whats the latest on this?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7fe97da0d915.jpg[/atsimg]

1. Ancient Mars in Mythology

Very interesting thread Skyfloating, thanks for sharing.
S&F

I will take a better look about it later.

reply to post by watchZEITGEISTnow

Excellent quick summary of all the anomalies. I dont buy the pixelated "buildings" or the "face" but I do think the Pyramids of Cydonia, the Hole and especially the golf-ball Dome are very artificial looking.

I thought once also that the golf-ball Dome looks very artificial, but ArMaP did change my view about it.

reply to post by ArMaP

Regarding that so called golf-ball Dome,” it looks” as if that is/could be some kind of usual natural phenomenon in such craters, produced by wind and sand, and due some sort of light fall and shades it look like a half 3D sphere.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b64ba816eedc.jpg[/atsimg]

The same phenomenon seems to be also created in these craters.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/123448a9ca8d.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9ad5cd0265b4.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2e79809e6475.jpg[/atsimg]

internos made an interesting post about what looks like the same kind of happening here on Earth.

reply to post by internos

Originally posted by internos
If i'm not mistaken, that would be Patomsky crater (патомский кратер),
i remember to have seen a picture in which the central peak looked the same, but even the angulation of the photo was the same, maybe it was even the same photo: but i'm not sure, honestly.

upload.wikimedia.org...

" border=0>

Here is a better picture of it that was once posted by PennyQ.

reply to post by PennyQ

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/99d7e5dd3abf.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 8/9/10 by spacevisitor]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Skyfloating, you totally made my day! I just woke up and your thread was the first one I saw and read. I have always enjoyed your threads and now you made one on Mars, you are the best!

Mars is my favorite planet and I have always believed there was a civilization on Mars. There is so much that points to it and you point these things out that people have always told me were either rocks or camera distortion. I just don't believe that with many of the pictures that have come up.

I have always been amazed over the even spaced objects on Mars. There is no way those are natural. I just wonder what they are and what purpose they served or could possibly still serve.

I do believe Mars is possibly colonized underground.

I don't know what happened to Mars but I think either they destroyed themselves with a war which is what I lean towards most or something hit Mars and destroyed it's atmosphere. I am not sure on this one. I have only read a few things on what happened to Mars.

Thank again Skyfloating! GREAT thread! I am so glad to see a thread like this on Mars. I wanted to make one but just didn't know how to present it.

S&F

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
duplicate post.

[edit on 9/8/2010 by mblahnikluver]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Hello mblahnikluver...nice to see you again.

For the record: There was a formal Debate about the equally spaced objects and artificial structures against a Debunker. The Debunker lost that Debate. It can can be viewed here

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I was looking at videos the other night on youtube of Mars anomalies and found this video. Well at about 32 seconds it shows a picture I have never seen before. Have you seen this picture before? I would like to see the original image. Here is the video.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Fantastic! S & F!!

I never tire of these theories... For me, they make far more sense than any "scientific" theory or this and that and resonate much better with me on a personal level... Not sure why it's so hard to believe either??? But, to each their own, right! I feel that folks forget that even a large portion of what comes from "science" is based on theory as well!! Just because somebody has a PhD beside their name doesn't mean they deliver absolute truth!!

I just wish they'd throw us a bone and throw the truth out on the table about what's really been found out there!!

Great job!!

[edit on 8-9-2010 by Ouroborus2012]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Awesome efforts!

A few thoughts:

While it is a nearly universally accepted opinion that there's ZERO doubt of extensive water having once existed on Mars --- the timescale is the bit that's still open to great question.

Consider the extremely TINY amount of time that man has existed on Earth....and especially civilization, and the 'luxury' that that afforded to contemplate things other than being eaten by Sabretooth Tigers....and our sliver of time shrinks. In comparison to the over-all timescales of the Universe.

Think of it this way: If you take the rise of one of the earliest precursor hominids that eventually led to us, and their earliest appearance in the fossil record, and plot it on an imaginary scale of one "Earth year" (twelve months), then those "ancestors" appeared on 1st January.

Modern man didn't develop until sometime around 28th-29th December, in that comparison. AND, civilization and ultimately, the technology we now take for granted? 31st December....at about 11:00 PM (23:00). (Those are approximaitons, of course, for illustrative purposes).

(There is a way to compare the ENTIRE Earth's history (and the Solar System) in a similalarly, to get a sense of that scale for perspective.

(I can try to Google around for it....)

SO, point being, it is conceivable that the four inner, "rocky" planets (exception possibly for Mercury, due to its proximity to the Sun) followed essentially the same paths of formation, and evolution, at least for hte fist (X) billion years. The exact amount of time is unknown, of course....we are best familiar with our home, and have to infer from that.

What it stems down to, RE: Mars, is How long did sufficient atmosphere, and thus pressure, exist to allow liquid water to remain liquid on the surface??

AND, when did conditions change to those that are observed and measured today?

I personally have little doubt that, given atmosphere/liquid water, that life DID begin, much in the same way it did here.

But, that process ---- from earliest, most basic single-celled lifeforms, to very complex multi-cellular organisms seems to require a great deal of time to come about. Again, based on our knowledge and history on Earth.

Since, deep deep down at its most basic sense, all life is really just chemistry at work, it is subject to the same laws of physics, and atoms' interactions that underlies all of chemistry. And this is got to be universal, in our "realm" at least. So timescales of life's development patterns must be roughly similar, everywhere we look in our Universe.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

I think the connection between Mars and "red" shows that the connection to war comes from the colour and not from some huge war that destroyed the planet, because if that was the case then the tendency would be to connect it with death and war but not with red, and there would be some more information about it, not just an association with war.

I will speak about the photos at the end of the day.

PS: great post.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join