It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival When TSHTF!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Checkout how to start a fire with your freakn cellphone guys!

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten
Top Myths of when SHTF:

www.whenshtf.com...

1)SHTF = total Mad Max style meltdown where the world reverts to the dark ages and we're all running around in gun battles.
SHTF could be anything from a chemical spill to TEOTWAWKI (The End Of The World As We Know It) stuff.
Don't get locked into thinking a SHTF event is only ________. SHTF is not one specific, monolithic event. Realize most SHTF scenarios result in the same outcome, be it short term or indefinitely. That’s why it’s vital you don't put all your eggs in one basket. Like many areas or this particular skill set, TRAINING is key!

2) "Gear trumps skills." False. I've slowly learned that over time. Gear is cool and fun and I'll likely never revoke my membership in GearWhore of the Month club. That said, focus on building your skill sets. Cool gear without the ability to use it is not overly valuable.
As Darwin said “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change”. A strong part of what we are as humans depends on our use of tools. There is a reason that expert archers gave way to untrained masses of soldiers with primitive firearms.

I've had this conversation with some other preppers. They're like "We all need to band together, move as a group for safety". So I say "Sure I'll fight beside you. I just need 6 gallons a day of water for me the wife and the kid (don’t think I'd leave them behind do you?), 3600 cals a day cause I will be marching in armor, and 2000 each for my wife and kids. I also need equal share of all looted gear and ammo as usable. And...". It hit home pretty quick that there’s a reason there is a supply train behind armies. Most people can't carry enough on their person to live long with weapons, ammo, and armor.

In all honesty if I'm bugging out the armor, all ammo besides a few mags, and such are left behind. All I'm carrying is my expanded BoB.
Everything else goes into my prepped cart for pulling along.
Just my .02 Your mileage may vary.

What do you think?

[edit on 8-9-2010 by rajaten]

Please read: Posting work written by others.

Going forward, if you post something that is not 100% your own writing or work you must use the EX TAG, post NO MORE THAN 15% of the original (or three paragraphs, whichever is least), and GIVE A LINK TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL.

edit on by greeneyedleo because: MOD EDIT: To remove excessive copy & paste

Yes i agree ! What you have of "tools" wont save you in the long run. Your mentality will!
edit on 5-2-2011 by Mustang73 because: Made a mistake

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

I set the cordless phone on top of my Dane's kennel. He knocked it in, chewed it up and set fire to his bed!
I smelled smoke, threw his butt out and put out the fire! Those battery wires get HOT when crossed!

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I have tried my best to prepare for any situation. Unless of course my state is completely wiped out. I have prepared for home defense, food, water, heat, and entertainment. I also have two Bobs. Just in case a home defence is not an option. The only issue I can forsee is that if and when tshtf, my son and I are not together. In this case, I would grab what might be needed and head straight for my son's place, grab him, and head to our safety area. I have ploted out certain paths that I can take for either situation. I have enough food to last a few months on the run ( I have them hidden in certain areas). And of course enough seeds to start fresh. I have become quite good at hunting, fishing, tracking. I have also taught my son these same things. WE have simple weapons to defend what is our's, and enough common sense to stay away from other's. I know that I may not have everything I diffinately need, but it's a very good start. For our weapons I have chosen a 22 cal rifle and 22 cal pistol for my son. And he is very acurate with them. And for me a 45 cal pistol and a 30-30 rifle. Our basic needs are met, so long as we are together when tshtf.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
A Survivalists does not worry about what they will need to pack and carry, for a true Survivalist knows how to survive off the lands. We can walk in to the wilderness with nothing and come out several years later healthier and stronger then ever. In fact, we may not even want to return from the wilderness because we find it a more fulfilling and harmonic experience to live in the wild. Our worst fear is mankind or nature putting us at ground zero with 0% chances of survival. Knowledge is power... the greatest power.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Disease is going to be a major player in any event, so you need to be prepared to deal with it the best you can..i would seriously look into air filtration and gas masks.

Garlic worn around your neck and hung around your face was done for a very specific reason back in the dark ages. they knew then that the allicin vapour that emitted from the garlic would in fact kill all viruses and air born pathogens within close proximity of your breathing. so as back then and today, this is still an important measure to ward off those evil spirits....SERIOUSLY

The other things that are very important are Fungicides for yeasts and skin infections. when not having fresh water or not being able to get clean very often, the bacteria and yeast will start nesting and eating at your body. you need a way to fight these germs as quickly as possible. Nystatin is excellent for this..i really wouldn't trust to many natural fungal fighters, like tea tree or emu oil and some of those others. Ive had years experience with all that stuff and they just don't get to the core of the issue quick enough.

Cipro is a must and so is zithromax. these 2 antibiotics will flat out kill strep and bladder and respiratory infections fast.. speed is what its all about. the faster you're on your feet the better chances of survival you will have.

other than having plenty of food, always remember to filter your water, even if you are pulling it from a well or spring..its better to be safe than sorry.

eat garlic with every meal and you will cut your chances in half of ever getting food poisoning. stock up on as much garlic as you can get your hands on..

Listerine, Lysol disinfectants, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide,rubbing alcohol, aloe, DMSO, SILSPA DISINFECTANT are very important and each have their specific uses and should also be considered.

clean air, clean food, clean body and environment is going to separate you from failure.

Good Luck...We're all going to need it

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join