It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival When TSHTF!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

Woah Great thread .. we need to survive or course and we will survive

Rajaten you seem to be extremelly prepared lol

very impressive my friend

i have thought that when the last sign arrive .. i will focus on living
i dont have any ammo .. only a bb gun lol but it can scare somebody to back off

i have a large decorative knife and a ninja star but thats it .. no body ammo or any real guns
its easy to build one fast if i sens the danger and that i really need it now

if i had a wife and a kid i would do exactly like you .. to prepare my familly to survive anything
but i dont so i will continu to live life day by day
i have 3 case of water bottles but thats it for my reserve

can you detail your reserve ?

thanks and S&F

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

My reserve is a bit of food and water at the moment. I really need to get off my ass and go shopping lol

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten
reply to post by Ben81

My reserve is a bit of food and water at the moment. I really need to get off my ass and go shopping lol

can you tell me what are your advices to everyone
what do you have and should we have
if you have any guns and body armor ...
you know that it wont change much
a nuke blast or any big natural event .. nothing can protect against those

but i double your statement about the food and water
i need to get off my ass and concentrate more on reserve to

if the water that supply everyhouse is cut adding a electricity cut
water + electricity cut = chaos/anarchy/riots

we have to be selfsuficient ... we are depending so much from the big corp
this age need to be over ... NO MORE DEPENDING
we are to much spoiled we have indirectly agree to depend on them
50% and more of our hard earning money have go into these big corp .. the gov own them all
we are indeed living in a society prison.. doing our depending routine lifes
without even caring to consider the fact that we are in lock up zombie mode

it is time that we change our way of living
free no polluting energy + no more military budjet= a rich economy world living in peace and respect

edit on 9/8/2010 by Ben81 because: correction

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I advise people to gather as much information as possible then make their own decisions on what is right for them.

Or they could just play this game all day:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I have a lot of maps that tell where i can get supplies and equipment.

Some of this equipment is strange like a Witte diesel engine.
www.smokstak.com...
Old but uses very little fuel less then a 1/2 gal per hour and will run on vegetable oil. bio-diesel, waste oil, kerosene,

Some of the stuff i have located would be stuff no one else would even think of as use-able or want but i know how to make it work for me.

I know where there is military equipment in the desert and stuff people never would believe stored in remote areas of military bases in the desert southwest.

Its just like people from Australia can not get firearms but how many of them have ever looked at making longbows.
With the right cover story and costumes they may be able to set up as a medieval reenactment group and a hidden survival group.
www.themcs.org...
www.nzap.co.nz...

There are always a way around the Prohibition of weapons.
One of them is the Internet.
There are a number of site that will tell you how to build longbows, arrows and other Prohibited weapons

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I have a lot of maps that tell where i can get supplies and equipment.

Some of this equipment is strange like a Witte diesel engine.
www.smokstak.com...
Old but uses very little fuel less then a 1/2 gal per hour and will run on vegetable oil. bio-diesel, waste oil, kerosene,

Some of the stuff i have located would be stuff no one else would even think of as use-able or want but i know how to make it work for me.

I know where there is military equipment in the desert and stuff people never would believe stored in remote areas of military bases in the desert southwest.

Its just like people from Australia can not get firearms but how many of them have ever looked at making longbows.
With the right cover story and costumes they may be able to set up as a medieval reenactment group and a hidden survival group.
www.themcs.org...
www.nzap.co.nz...

There are always a way around the Prohibition of weapons.
One of them is the Internet.
There are a number of site that will tell you how to build longbows, arrows and other Prohibited weapons

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I like your creative thinking

What sort of things are you talking about being accessible in military bases after TSHTF??

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
My big thinking was to always be consistent...

For firearms, think common caliber (easy to find bullets), and if your guns take the same ammo, they'll be more useful.

For flashlights and other battery gear, choose ones that take the same type of batteries (and a common type of battery).

I'm a big fan of Survival knives/tools that have multiple functions. Just spend the money to get a good quality one (or more) (cheaper ones are made out of flimsier materials, and break easily).

While stocking up on food and water is cool, unless you are staying put, it isn't practical to carry it. It's better to carry the tools that will get you food (i.e. fishing gear, a book to identify edible plants, hunting gear, etc.)

Never underestimate the usefulness of "primitive" (but silent) weapons, such as a Machete or a bow of some type. (though a bow and arrows are a bit clumsy to carry with you).

For transportation, good mileage, quick, and maneuverable are the keys (think dirtbike) or if silent is an added need (a 3 wheeled bicycle with baskets for gear). If you can travel by water, even better, but would be wise to have some sail-power as an alternate.

I often think of some good skillsets I'd like to bone up on before such an event....

1. Identifying plants and animal tracks
2. Riding a horse (I can do this, but need more practice)
3. Sailing a boat
4. Fishing (so so)
5. Hunting (pretty decent at this)
6. General Handyman (learned a lot of this)
7. General Construction (decent at this)
8. First Aid (ok at this)
9. Marksmanship (good at this)
10. Map reading (to find likely places for food, weapons, supplies)
11. Lockpicking (good for getting into places that have stuff after all goes south)
12. Navigation by the stars (no GPS most likely)....

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Well I have a couple of little ones so staying put would be my best bet. I sure am glad I installed a wood burning fireplace last year, it's an old cast iron one no blower or anything and gets my house hot. As an added benefit it has a cooktop on it. My house was built in 1880 so the access to my basement is through a trap door very concealed. I have the usual firearms plus one of those gamo pellet guns. Pantry is always stocked and plenty of survival junk laying around. One thing I acquired was a couple of 2'x2' solar panels and I am pretty crafty at rigging things together. I would suggest to people that they go to Walmart or something grab a 20gal plastic tote and just fill it with random stuff that you would normally use anyway, toilet paper, candles, boxed matches, first aid kits, a couple bottles of bleach- 1 drop or so per gallon to help treat questionable water cheap fishing pole or at least an assortment of hooks line and sinkers.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
[color=414141]raj, if you are a grown man, why do you have a young girl for your avatar?
reply to post by rajaten

if enough people begin to think like this, that eventually TSHTF day will come around, and humanity will have to start over again, then you are all part of the reason it will happen.

"if you build it, they will come"

what percentage of the population has to be convinced the end or new somethingorother is going to happen before they realize they are the ones who caused it?

congrats raj, you are part of the conspiracy.

-et
edit to add: get with your neighbors, those in your community. focus on a survival skill, or a few. have them focus learning on a survival skill or a few. work together, but don't passively or aggressively plan for the destruction of the civilization. we already live in a post apocalyptic world. let me repeat that. we already live in a post apocalyptic world.

edit on 9-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: edit to add nicer stuff

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

You may be right.
However people may just learn to grow food, fish, hunt, make electricity Etc.
People just may get healthy and away from the McEvil lifestyle.
I am a prepper midset, I hope nothing bad ever happens but if it did I would be more comfortable than some.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
My advice... go ahead and make the lifestyle switch. Get yourself a little place out in the country... start living like grand daddy did, gardening, small livestock, build your skills for basic survival living..aka pioneer style.

If something major happens...your best bet is to stay put on your little farm...all your resources are there, you know the terrain, the neighbors, the roads...have a root cellar/bunker/fall out shelter.... learn to preserve food...set up natural defences around the the yard perimeter... blackberries/wild roses/prickly pear cactus... set up fire lanes and plant gardens there or fence in for goats...chickens... fence and cross fence...for added defense.... have a hand pump for the well...have a rive/stream/spring/lake nearby to water livestock and home

build with passive solar heating in mind...as time and budget allow...install solar and wind power

Now, if something happens..have plans in place as to how you and family act so incase one of you is not there...the rest know what and where to do

If the bad goes to worst...have a destination to bug out to...and figure on hoofing it... 4x4s are great, but where will you get the gas, hide in plain sight, and how will you fight traffic when everyone else is using the bugout highway? Nope...hiking it is best

We intend to use our 2 horses as pack animals and go overland.... get topographic maps...good ones....and study your intended route..... any old railroads or old abandoned trails/roads...how about powerline right of ways...long-straight-cross country-relatively free of growth... and will get you there without traveling by road... plus...most are bordered by woods and natural areas...good for wood, hiding,shelter

plus, we will try to herd our goats with us.... they tend to follow the hand that feeds them...maybe even some light caged chickens...they all tend to feed and forage off the land

Be realistic about how far you will/can travel... we live in noth central NC and our goal would be the Blue Ridge Mtns... along the NC/Va border... about 100-150 miles west

Essentials...good rifle, cast iron frying pan, axe, knife, butcher knife, dutch oven, fishing gear..minus pole, tarps, rope, first aid kits, bush axe, a hand turned auger, and the usual assortment of matches etc.... and my FoxFire Books. Seeds...maybe a hoe....and a bucket. Oh...got have a camp coffee pot

The entire world could be going to absolute crap...and a good cup of coffee fixes everything.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Solid survival info in this thread. I forgot about all this good content.

disclaimer: Its not written by me btw.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Totally not into "banding together." No way, it's me and mine and protecting what's ours. How would you know who to trust? I trust no one; it's my mantra. I can't say why I am so adverse to the whole group mentality, I guess I'm just not a group/people oriented type of person. I should perhaps rethink the whole concept, after all maybe it's really pertinent to survival to band together. Is it, or isn't it?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

They do say only the paranoid survive dont they?

Its hard to say what people will do or wont do in a survival situation, especially if their primary concern is the welfare of themself and their own loved ones.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Bugging in should only be used because you got caught in a city for some appointment you had there and even then you are behind the 8-ball. The old saying is "if you fail to plan, then you plan to fail". If you have an "awareness of TSHTF" then it makes no sense, if you believe it in your heart, to stay in an urban/suburban environment. Obviously all situations are different but one common thread, in most survival situations, are the first three rules of survival; location, location, location. If you really think it is coming, and I certainly do, then why have you not moved to a more suitable location and taken up a more suitable lifestyle. The exact kind of people I have prepared for are those that think that I have "carried his gear into the woods for him" LOL! I did move to a rural area. I do raise animals and garden. I do have land and security. How would I ever trust anyone that looks at me as his "pack horse". Those people are not welcome and it may be that they have simply "packed in more gear, guns and ammo for me" LOL some more! My group has made plans to donate to the errant zombie that comes by as long as they are peaceful and go on their way. Anyone that does not consider charity for those that come by risk the wrath of the many that they turn down. While not a bottomless pit of dry goods if you send people away with some rice, beans, water and peanut butter, they are less likely to be angry and more apt to be grateful, at least for a while. If you "know" it is coming and you fail to plan.......!!!!! I have developed a tiered system for events, from Cat1 -Cat5, similar to the hurricane scale. Not exactly brilliant by any means but it gives you a grasp of events and the planning and actions you MUST take. I might explain it in detail in some later post as it is somewhat long. In general, Cat1 would be regional, like Katrina (imagine, Katrina is a Cat1) all the way up to Cat5 which would be a worldwide paradigm change of lifestyle, short of an extinction event. I'm not trying to avoid an extinction event, just trying to survive that which is survivable. If you plan on enjoying the fruits of the "good life" now and will attempt to capitalize on the fruits of others, that have "worked for their supper", later for survival, it may work for a while but I believe that Karma will eventually "equalize" that. As regards the T/C and the interchangeable barrels, the basic T/C pistol, I assume you're talking about the pistol, the basic pistol weighs 3.5#. The barrels weigh about 2# each so 3 barrels will weigh almost as much as a basic M-4 and a 3.5# pistol weighs twice as much as a standard 1911 not counting the obvious tactical disadvantage of having a single shot pistol. Also they don't currently list 12 ga and .30 Russian in their stock barrels. It seems that it would be simpler to just have an M-4 and a 1911. 2cents

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

What do I think?
I think you need a better plan...

the wife and I bought a mini-farm out in SE Kansas and "IF" TSHTF" we wont need to bug out anywhere other the the backyard to girl up a few steaks and down some homemade hard cider...
seems to me that's a lot better plan than humping everything you own on your back, especially all the crap you need when you got kids to drag along...

being well prepared means not having bug out right?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Well, DaddyBare, a kindred spirit indeed. Absolutely. I moved to a relatively rural area significantly south of 40 degrees North and out of the significant range of the Yellowstone caldera some 20 years ago. Just wanted to have a nice place to raise the kids and maybe shoot a rabbit or squirrel once in a while. I have to admit that it was all by "accident" except that I don't believe in accidents. I didn't have survival in the forefront of my mind then, but hey, I'm here growing vegetables and animals now and that's all that counts. I have always sort of known that "it" was coming but just didn't know what. Still don't know what, LOL but the mist is clearing and "it's" coming and I'm doing my best to be prepared. Weaning off the grid on 25 acres. Just retired again, from the military, 11 years AD and 37 total with 34 for pay, E-8 combat engineer. You must have a viable plan to survive. I have made a Cat1-Cat5 tier level of TSHTF and I think we are at least in for Cat3 or better (worse). Have a local group of like minded individuals around for moral support, etc. Planning is everything and it is frustrating when people don't want to plan for what they inherently know is coming and just want to keep on with the lies of life. Oh, well. 2cents

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

How you going to get there when the emp wipes out the electrical ignition in your car?

Good luck dude. If I were you i'd get stationed at your spot now.
edit on 11-10-2010 by rajaten because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten

How you going to get there when the emp wipes out the electrical ignition in your car?

Good luck dude. If I were you i'd get stationed at your spot now.
edit on 11-10-2010 by rajaten because: (no reason given)

Pretty sure he's implying he lives there now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join