It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adult Services on Craigslist BANNED

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Well, it happened. Adult Services (prostitution services) has been "censored", blocked and banned in the United States.

The “adult services” listing on Craiglist was removed late Friday from its U.S.-based sites and replaced with the word “censored.”

Craigslist did not announce the move and its blog was not updated as of Saturday morning. Craigslist did not immediately respond to e-mail and voice mail messages seeking comment. Adult services listings continue to be available outside the United States.

The change comes as the service faces growing pressure in the U.S. over sex services advertised on its classifieds network, as well as allegations that it abets human sex trafficking. While most of the listings on Craigslist are free, it charges $10 to post ads in its adult services section. It also charges fees in a handful of other areas, including New York apartment rentals.

Source

I never did understand the battle against the oldest profession in the world. You're able to buy alcohol and destroy your liver, buy tobacco and destroy your lungs, sign up to the military and slaughter civilians in the name of oil, greed and corrupt political ideologies...but selling your body for sex is a no no.

Did I miss something here?

I know I'm going to get a backlash and plenty of posts on why Conservatives want prostitution to remain illegal in the United States (except Nevada, it's legalized there).

But in reality, the prohibition of sex for money is illogical.

The government can't make money off street prostitution, that's the main reason why it's illegal in the first place. And you know what? That's not surprising....sad...but not surprising.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Weird...

It says "CENSORED". Can't click on it. Why not just remove it as an option. It all seems silly.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
It wasn't open prostitution (maybe some where I don't know), but I assume it was prostitution services marketed as "adult services" following the terms of sales of craiglist with a *nudge nudge wink wink* description.

Policing such things was probably a headache and costs money in staff and expensive "shakedowns" visiting premises.

I'm guessing it's only a crime if money is transacted, otherwise they're only breaking the craiglist terms of agreement?

If you go to some random adult forum you can say your a prostitute looking for clients but how do the police know your not a 12 year old boy trolling for kicks. It would probably break the terms of agreement of the website but the police can't (legally) and won't come knocking on your door.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

You are wrong on a couple of things. In Nevada the government does make money off of it. And they could do it nation wide in a second.

The real reason they dont make it legal is simple. What would this country look like if it was legal? It would look like crap. Just like if you made all the drugs legal.

You would have people turning tricks in the parks and shooting up heroin in the convenience store. We have to have some rules so we can have a place to raise kids that is somewhat safe.

I believe everyone has the freedom to do anything as long as it does not infringe on anothers right to do the same. And when you are talking about thing"s like prostitution and drugs the users in some cases can not help themselves and infringe on others rights.

I am not saying all but if it was legal many would fall of the deep end. They could not help themselves.

[edit on 8-9-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
reply to post by SeventhSeal

You are wrong on a couple of things. In Nevada the government does make money off of it. And they could do it nation wide in a second.

The real reason they dont make it legal is simple. What would this country look like if it was legal? It would look like crap.

You cite the Nevada example, yet then say such a scheme elsewhere would lead to crap. So basically they should stop the Nevada thing they got going on there because obviously it doesn't work and leads to the examples you mentioned?

Either way Nevada can have a good template that doesn't lead to the stuff you mentioned, but it simply won't be introduced elsewhere because ppl will not vote for it.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

You're entitled to your opinions but you should rethink them over sometime.

Legalizing sex for money would not make America "look like crap." It'd make America more open minded and perhaps tolerant to the idea of sex.

But yet again, this is the same country that protests a Mosque and burns holy documents and wreaks of hypocrisy.

I'm asking for too much, I suppose.

So much for the land of the free.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
First misconception. Prostitution is not illegal on the federal level. The individual states have outlawed it. Thus, Nevada can have legal prostitution and other states don't.

Second, Craig's list is a private entity. If they feel that they need to block access to specific services either to protect themselves or in response to public outcry, then they can do whatever they want with their property.

Third, I think laws against prostitution are stupid. Nevada has it right. It's much easier to regulate the trade if you know where it's going on. You can institute reasonable regulations governing health requirements, prevention of forced prostitution and underage prostitution, etc. Where it is outlawed, the whole business goes underground where the victims have as much chance of going to jail when they report abuse as the person who actually committed the crime. In fact, they have more of a chance.

top topics

join