It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think that pastor is really going to burn a Quran?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
It's hi right to free expression - if he wants to burn it, burn it.

The press is their own moral authority if they want to cover it or not.

They should not have denied him a permit. IMO that was wrong. Since when does the govt. have power over the element of fire anyway? (I know they do, but as a pagan I don't like it.)

If Muslims respond to it with violence, then it proves the guy's case.

It makes sense that they burn the American flag because they do not share the values it symbolizes- the right to free expression is something held by both those you agree with and those you do not.

Personally, I'd just sign up for every Muslim church I could and let them waste their money on postage trying to get donations from me. I wouldn't burn a Koran because I'd have to buy one first.

If GOD doesn't like the Koran being burned, He can put the fire out or instruct the fire to not burn the book.

[edit on 8-9-2010 by hadriana]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
What!? You need a permit to set something on fire? Now that is a true conspiracy. What are they going to make a crime next? I walk around with a lighter every day and burn things all the time. I even inhale the smoke from it. Who knew I had to have a permit to use something as basic and common as fire. What a messed up country we live in.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
he may just set a koran ablaze-
and the embers may set his church on fire.
maybe someone needs to monitor
this bunch.
what the flock?
mom told me not to play with matches.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Oh yeah, it's true. They put burning bans out all the time, and, as pagans, we are always having to monitor those things on our religious holidays. That's why so many of us have little iron pot cauldrons - so we can have a teeny tiny fire in there because we can't have our bonfires. It's not the same without a bonfire.

We're always uber careful about fire around here. What makes me so mad is often they will put a burning ban on, and then, it will be wet outside and they won't lift the darn thing, and a major sabbath will be that night.

I suspect that they often do it on purpose- use their power over fire to curtail religious activities and - free expression statements - like this.

There's probably no valid reason to have refused to issue the man a permit.

[edit on 8-9-2010 by hadriana]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Another step backwards for human civilization.
It will accomplish as much as this has :

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ToneDeaf

You can say that a burning cross by the KKK never accomplished much, but I'd say you don't know the extent of what the KKK did.

My mother, as a young child, white, was badly injured. My grandfather was a no good moonshiner. The entire family was white.

The KKK found out about her foot being cut and paid to take her to the doctor. That night, they burned a cross in my grandparent's yard.

My granddad straightened up and flew straight after that. He knew that they hated a white man that didn't take care of his family, and would beat him to a bloody pulp.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Whether people like what he is doing or not, he is entitled to do so. We fought countless wars for our freedom to be able to show displeasure toward something you feel strongly about.
For instance, I don't feel they should be able to hold protests on the street and block traffic, but they do. I don't feel a funeral procession should be able to keep going through red lights because it is dangerous etc, but they do.
You see, once we give up and say, you know what, he "can't" do that, is the day we lost what we have fought so hard for. I can't knock anyones opinion because they have that right, if I don't like it, I don't have to look or read about it. I don't care whether he burns them or not, throws them in the trash or pisses on them, that's up to him. What I do care about is "them" saying, NO...you can't. Once we reach that point in our society, we will be on another revolution path. That, I don't want to see.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
We should take note of anyone who vigorously protests this and put them on a list.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to hadriana ^ ^
violence on violence gets you as far as a hamster in
a hamster wheel.
Education is the way to go.

[edit on 8/9/10 by ToneDeaf]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by NetCom
What I do care about is "them" saying, NO...you can't.

Books are a form of speech and freedom.
To burn books is an oxymoron of freedom.
. . . but then some people can't read to begin with or
think for themselves; they would rather control others
by censoring and burning books/crosses/ witches/
or anything else that they themselves
want to control.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ToneDeaf

Sometimes violence is VERY effective.

But, FTR, I'm not advocating violence of any kind, merely, pointing out that history is often presented in a skewed manner that suits some or other agenda at the time, and usually that manner sticks and no one looks further, and the true history is lost.

Such is the case with the Klan. We are all conditioned to think that the Klan is nothing more than a white supremacist group that only existed to terrify blacks.

But, the truth of the klan is much deeper. The civil war left a huge gap in the south, and often it was the klan that stepped in to ensure justice and establish some level of decency,and often charity, in the community.

Which is NOT to say that the klan did snot do ome despicable and racist things. They did.

But,, for me, in my history, I know that they saved my mother's life.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

I do think he'll burn it or defile it in some way. He's a nutter and looking for media coverage. He's looking to be the next Salman Rushdie

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I agree with Hefficide, in that this guy knows this stunt will bring him new attention and membership. I bet he has received some donations as a result of this proposition, no? The only thing is, some of that attention may be destructive, physically. Here is a recent vid where the pastor claims they will armed and ready!

He also has some reservations it seems, and it sounds like he will leave the final decision in God's hands...sound familiar?
spec

edit on 8-9-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: added info

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Well, I certainly hope he does, or else he got a bunch of people fired up fpr nothing. Some nut somewhere is already planning revenge for allah being insulted......may as well do the crime. I just find it disturbing that so many want the constitution to only work in one direction..........also, when did we as Americans become afraid of anyone. One final thought, no doubt some will try and hold him responsible for anything happening as a result of his actions........whose gonna hold the MSM accountabe as well........this didn t even have to be reported and now it's world wide.......there is enough bs news everyday, but this was sensationalism at its best.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist

He also has some reservations it seems, and it sounds like he will leave the final decision in God's hands...sound familiar?
spec

You mean something like he will toss the gasoline on the books and light the match, but it's up to God whether or not the gasoline soaked books ignite?

Whatever.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

Originally posted by chorizo4
I think the pastor is a blow hard. Using this to increase his church membership.

It's political, just like burning the flag or a bible. The difference is that many of those who will defend those acts, are now horrified at this event.

Let 'em burn the Koran and even if Islam has a true mark on things, Allah will survive.

Don't get your britches in a tangle.

I just refrained from posting much the same thing, using some of the posters here quotes from previous threads where offending large segments of the American public is ok because only idiots get offended by certain things - yet here we have those same people saying how wrong it is to even dare offend islam and conniving ways to make sure this event is hindered.

Gotta love the double standards.

Oh well, as long as the Afghani people only call for Obama's death over it. Sounds fair, right?

Oh noes...

"We know this is not just the decision of a church. It is the decision of the president and the entire United States," said Abdul Shakoor, an 18-year-old high school student who said he joined the protest after hearing neighborhood gossip about the Quran burning.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
why do I get the feeling that preacher is going to see his "sign from god."

pssssst. something is wrong with his eyes.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Big deal if he burns it or not, why some people are getting upset about this is just plain stupid.

It you can burn an American or British flag any where in the world to show your dislike of those contries, this man can burn a Quran to show his dislike of Islam.

Islam and Muslims can't have it all ways. What comes across from them as a whole is that some how they are more holy than the rest of the world so you better not draw pictures of a pedo, warmongering git (peace not be upon him). Nor should you show the true face of Islam, joke about it, question it or belittle it because some jumped up religious idiot will get upset.

No doubt there is already some idiot wanting to cut his head off out there but think on this. If Muslims start burning bibles do you think there will be protests about it calling for the death of the book burners? NO not a chance in hell.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

The Pastor has been denied a burn permit by the Fire Marshall. If he attempts to burn the books, the fire will be put out by the local fire department and the pastor will be fined and also charged for the fire department personnel.

Perhaps he could get around this by using a microwave, anyone out there know his email so I can suggest this to him ?

What an interesting day that would be if all the christians came out and burned qurans and all the muslims came out and burned bibles !!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Let's treat this question serious.

If God really wants him to burn a koran, Rev. Jones would be on a plane for Mecca. If you are making a statement for God and have God's blessing, you don't make that statement in Florida. You take God's word to the beast, in this case, Mecca.

We all know this will not happen, so now it is a publicity stunt.

Yes, he will start a fire. It will be put out immediately and the good Rev. will be arrested for some trumped up reasons. This is to show the islamic bastards that we are even to sissified to burn their books.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join