It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think that pastor is really going to burn a Quran?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I think the pastor is a blow hard. Using this to increase his church membership.

Don't say it if you aren't going to do it or you can't do it.

This guy won't burn the book.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I don't know why he wouldn't.

I think he should not and wish he would not, but this is not the first case of religious people burning things...

Think back to pastors burning those "evil rock and roll records" and what not....

All this is going to do is anger people and further the divide...

A shame really. I hope you are right though.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
The Pastor has been denied a burn permit by the Fire Marshall.

If he attempts to burn the books, the fire will be put out by the local fire department and the pastor will be fined and also charged for the fire department personnel.

Chances are the police and fire department will be there, and inform him prior to lighting the books that he has no burn permit. They may attempt to stop him from lighting the books for that reason, and if he refuses or resists he may be subject to arrest.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

He could always tear pages out of the Quran and wipe his feet with them. He doesn't need a permit for that.

He's not going to do anything.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Hmm, I wonder if there is a fireplace nearby..
They couldn't stop that...

BTW, I'd rather he didn't but I can't see him backing down after worldwide publicity.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Heres a fitting quote for the pasta in downtown Berlin,i mean Florida or wherever it is.

A hundred years before the advent of Hitler, the German-Jewish poet, Heinrich Heine, had declared: "Wherever books are burned, human beings are destined to be burned too."
www.historyplace.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Yes he has been denied a burn permit, but at the same time, if I am not mistaken, I do seem to recall him saying he was going to burn them anyway...

The fine that he would face is NOT that much.... I am not a religious person at all. In fact, I do not follow any one religion, though I do believe in god and an after life....

Whether or not the fire department and police department actually go there and watch to see if he does it, is just speculation...

If he is so determined to burn them ( and I think he is) a small fine is not going to deter him....

Again, I hope you are right, because all it will do is anger people, stir up emotions and further the divide between people... No good will come of it.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

I just watched ABC World News tonight over here in the UK and they had an interview with the pastor which was pretty telling. They filmed his Sunday sermon which attracted only a handful of people and he went on record to say this is what Jesus would want. Apparently 200 people have sent him Korans already.

The guy is desperate for cash and needs the publicity. I really don't think there's an ounce of honesty in him.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove
I really don't think there's an ounce of honesty in him.

Not sure that honesty is the right word for what he lacks...Perhaps, decency, human compassion, acceptance are some that might fit better.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
I don't know why he wouldn't.

I think he should not and wish he would not, but this is not the first case of religious people burning things...

Think back to pastors burning those "evil rock and roll records" and what not....

All this is going to do is anger people and further the divide...

A shame really. I hope you are right though.

This is what bothers me about this whole mess. Though it`s our right to express ones self, people want to take it to, and then over the edge, by putting not only themselves in jeopardy, but everyone else around them, with no thought about the consequences this could cause. Either this guy is clueless, or he is pushing for a fight. I`m surprised the church that protests at soldiers funerals isn`t there to hold this pastors hand throughout all of this.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Good point.

Strange interview with him. I was expecting more of an evangelical character and he came across as quite unassuming. I am not sure he's even aware that they've been protesting in Kabul over this. He is all the things you say, but he just doesn't sound like a person who would do it. All very odd.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
If I thought that I could simply burn a book and become a folk hero to an entire segment of the population of this country - a status which would open up all sorts of opportunities for me, in the short term, and which might actually fill up my struggling ministry...

I'd say "Fines shmines, somebody hand me a match."

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

I am willing to bet my last pepper producing plant that this preacher is going to go through with it!

Because he's obviously, to me, an idiot.

Just saying........I doubt he actually increases attendance in his church, if he wimps out. If he does go through with it, he will just gain more idiots to his twisted ideals.

"Christians burning religous books that disagree with them, fomenting hate upon other people! Who'da thunk that?

I'm not singling out Christians, though, it's really more about radical religionists who just want to show hate and sow seeds of discord.

I have seen people from an Assembly of God church stack music CD's in a pile in their parking lot, pour gasoline upon the pile and light it up! And as the plastic and asphalt was still glowing, teenagers were going wild dancing upon the "evil" remains of the "fire that will destroy satan",urged on by the adults.

These people are sick, IMHO, and show nothing but hate to others who don't believe exactly like they do.Sure, this church had the rights to do this, but it was an ugly scene to me, like straight out of a hell or some such.

I don't see why this pastor of his own personal flock would stop from burning Korans, unless there is some sort of higher threat to him, personally.

While I think these sorts of people are "not right in their minds", they do have the right to be idiots, as long as they do not infringe upon the rights of others.

Meanwhile, Gen Petraus saying this particular act will put U.S. troops in more danger. Meh. Petraus already is complicit in placing their lives in danger.

Will this hateful preacher go ahead and do this Koran burning? Yes. Unless our government overseers put a lot of unconstitutional pressure upon him.

There's actually too many variables, both real and imagined in my mind to truly make a definite yes or no prediction.

But I'm going to say, Yes.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
This is nothing more, than one extremism fighting another, to be top dog. It`s no wonder this world is in the state that it`s in.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Yes he has been denied a burn permit, but at the same time, if I am not mistaken, I do seem to recall him saying he was going to burn them anyway...

The fine that he would face is NOT that much.... I am not a religious person at all. In fact, I do not follow any one religion, though I do believe in god and an after life....

Whether or not the fire department and police department actually go there and watch to see if he does it, is just speculation...

If he is so determined to burn them ( and I think he is) a small fine is not going to deter him....

Again, I hope you are right, because all it will do is anger people, stir up emotions and further the divide between people... No good will come of it.

The great news is that the tax base is down in Florida because of the Real Estate melt down.

That means Code enforcement is way up. Students from the University of Florida are staging a protest to the event across the street which they have applied for a permit for.

That means Police will be on hand for at the very least that demonstration.

They can't burn the books inside the church without risking burning it down, and smoke inhalation, so they are going to have to burn them outside.

The police will issue a ticket, the fire department will put out the blaze, and bill the Pastor for that service too.

The Pastor himself still says he is "praying on what to do" and won't actually know for sure until Friday if he plans to go through with it on Saturday.

His support for this event is not local, fewer than 50 people in a city of a couple hundred thousand, his support for this is basically internet support from a very vocal minority.

This event might make him an Internet hero to that very vocal minority but it's only going to isolate him further in the Gainesville area.

He does have to think of that, try picking up a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk off the Internet!

It's not that easy.

[edit on 8/9/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by chorizo4
I think the pastor is a blow hard. Using this to increase his church membership.

It's political, just like burning the flag or a bible. The difference is that many of those who will defend those acts, are now horrified at this event.

Let 'em burn the Koran and even if Islam has a true mark on things, Allah will survive.

Don't get your britches in a tangle.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
They can't burn the books inside the church without risking burning it down, and smoke inhalation, so they are going to have to burn them outside.

Well if he's stupid enough to come out publicly and claim to do something like this, then who knows what he may do.

Maybe his church needs to be burned down to teach him a lesson? Karma anyone?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I was searching for a thread about this, just spotted the headline in the local news.
IMHO, he can burn down his house instead.Religion can be serious business for many people, and I would never had the guts to burn ANY religious text. Messing up with another people beliefs is complex, really.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   

... I am not a religious person at all. In fact, I do not follow any one religion, though I do believe in god and an after life....

I totally agree, but we really know better it could really be any of the following:

a)An example of pastoral ejaculation to reel in the lost into the withering flock

b)A government probing tool to see how hot the perceptions measure in the masses, war or no war vs Muslims.

c)none of the above

BTW, if you believe in god and reincarnation you could actually be Krishna, that is the main idea behind their beliefs!

BTW i believe the Bhagavad Ghita is a less frightening experience than the Bible! they even call their ancient astronauts just that, not some strange names that could be interpreted as anyone wishes!

cheers!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join