It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO Indifference: Earth contaminated with technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I'd first like to point out that I'm an "ET on Earth" skeptic. This doesn't mean that I believe ET hasn't visited Earth, rather it just means that I haven't yet seen enough convincing evidence to believe that they have. Just as I haven't seen enough convincing evidence to suggest that ET is visiting Earth, I haven't seen evidence on the contrary either. With that out of the way, I'll get to the point of this thread and the meat of my theory. Please remember that this theory is based upon on the "if" of UFOs being controlled by ET. If they do exist and are visiting Earth. The hypothetical.

Many people ask the question, "Why doesn't ET just land on the WH lawn and introduce themselves?" or "Why is ET so elusive?". My theory is rooted in the widely held "ant pile" theory (though not so much), to where ET doesn't interfere with our lives or our planet, just as we don't interfere when passing an ant pile, however it is only rooted in such a notion and expands both on it and over it.

However, instead of using the "ant pile" analogy, I liken it more to a zoo or the wilderness. When we go into the wilderness, we don't really interfere with the activities of the wildlife. We watch, but we don't interfere, even when a cute animal is about to be torn to shreds and eaten for dinner. Regardless, for the purposes of this thread, I'd like to take that theory and expand on it. Please keep in mind that this is obviously hypothetical and relies on a bunch of empty variables.

When pondering on this notion of ET, one has to ask why they would not be interested in popular contact. Sure, we may be more primitive but we are self aware and can think in abstract terms. For this reason, they shouldn't really look at us as we look upon ants, or even wild animals. Their apparent indifference makes no sense, at least when comparing it to our own indifference when viewing animals in the wilderness. They should, in a perfect world, still be able to say hi, as it could benefit both parties. So in that thought, why haven't they announced themselves and what is the reason for their apparent indifference or elusive behavior, other than malevolence? Caution.

You see, what if we gained a lot of our modern technology through UFO crashes, whether it be the Roswell crash or the alleged Black Forest crash? As we all know, we use this supposed gained knowledge for nefarious purposes. If this is the case and we actually have gained most of our modern technology through reverse engineering of alien craft, then our minds haven't evolved enough to responsibly handle the technology. There is an imbalance between what we have and what we are capable of.

What if most civilizations throughout the universe always evolve with their technology, so that by the time that they are advanced enough to have the technology that we currently have, their minds have evolved in a manner that allows them to use that technology responsibly? If we gained our modern technology through reverse engineering, then we obviously have technology that our minds are not yet capable of using in the proper way. We could have skipped a thousand years or so of evolving. We may just be a little too big for our britches.

Because of this, ET might be extremely hesitant to make contact, not for fear of their own safety, rather out of caution for ours. Think about it for a moment... What if we somehow gave apes machine guns or a similar type device that they could operate. Not only would they most likely drive themselves extinct, but they would also endanger us too, as they have the ability to affect the entire food chain. The repercussions of something such as this could be enormous.

What if we could somehow go back in time several thousands of years and all of the sudden ancient man got a hold of powerful x-ray technology (due to our time travel)? Their minds haven't yet evolved enough to use that x-ray machine in a responsible or proper way. Shoot, they are still thinking that each star in the sky is the soul of a dead king. They are also still thinking that the best way to get a good crop yield is to sacrifice a virgin. Somehow, they would incorporate that x-ray machine into their religion, zapping everyone who entered a temple. Pretty soon, everyone would have cancer, simply because their minds had not yet evolved enough to use that technology appropriately, thus the chain of events that should have lead up to the discovery of that technology were skipped, creating an imbalance.

If ET makes contact with us, then who knows how much more technology we get from them, whether it be handed down to us or reverse engineered. Clearly, our minds have not yet evolved enough to use this technology in a responsible manner, if in fact it is due to reverse engineering, thereby threatening the entire system. We may have been contaminated with technology.

ET's apparent indifference and elusive behavior very well could be because of our capability to reverse engineer their technology when we have not yet evolved enough to use it in a proper way. By befriending us or even getting too close, we may be able to get a hold of more technology that could wind up creating more of an imbalance.

Of course, their elusive behavior could be due to malevolence. They may not be introducing themselves because they aren't friendly, however I'll digress on this issue.

Please keep in mind that I'm not suggesting this as fact or even ET visiting Earth as fact. Rather, I'm only stating what "could be" or a "what if", a hypothetical if you will. Again, I'm not suggesting that our modern technology was obtained through ET craft or even that ET is flying in our skies. I'm only stating a possibility.

--airspoon

[edit on 7-9-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Ah, the old ant pile analogy combined with hint of the "Prime Directive", lol. I think it goes both ways. Assuming they are here, I see no reason why they would bother if they viewed us as an ant pile. Sure we walk by an ant pile and keep walking, but if that any pile was sending out radio transmissions, building cities, flying machines and exploring the solar system around their ant pile I don't see us just walking by.

The only thing I can imagine, is that life in the universe is so common place (sentient and intelligent life) that is it easy to treat it like an ant pile, or that sentient, intelligent life is so rare that they ever really develop the ability to explore space to the degree necessary to find and monitor such life.

If intelligent life was scarce, I see no reason that ET would find us and hide. They would shout out to us like someone stuck on a deserted island or something. But if intelligent life was the norm, then I see no reason why they would take such interested in our little craphole, as surely whatever stage we are in fit thousands upon thousands earlier of case studies. Nothing to see here, move along so to speak.

But the real point here is that it is hard to imagine what the individuals or governing bodies of any society visiting us would be. We, being humans, are stuck applying our human insight to the equation, which could easily render the result wrong.

The whole thing opens up world of though and contemplation, and I love that aspect of it. I wish we had more concrete data. Assuming in the next 500-1000 years we get everyone on the planet to live the same lifestyle and value the same things, questions like this might be easier for many to contemplate. But, unfortunately, the times we live in are as violent as our past, and you will get the usual "human apologists" in here telling you that we are not worthy of contact, only observation.

I would say, if intelligent life is common, almost as common as pond scum, then there is no reason why some alien stumbling upon our neck of the woods would even bother with us. But i intelligent life is rare, then there is no reason not to announce yourselves.

The real problem with this topic is, I could argue both sides. That sucks. I like topics where I can choose a side and stick with it, lol.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Airspoon.....

Here's a star & a flag for such a nicely expressed idea!

A couple of things stood out for me.....

One of those things was when you wrote:

"..we don't interfere when passing an ant pile.."

Well.....some people don't intefere with the poor old ants..

However, some people jam a stick in it, or pour petrol in it & light it to see what happens.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 8-9-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

If you would have read the OP, you would see that the reason you listed is exactly why that couldn't be the reason. We are self aware and abstract thinkers. For this reason alone, we aren't worthy of ignore. It all boils down to either caution (most likely due to technology contamination) or malevolence.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Well, I thought about this a while ago. If you were in a helicopter and flying over say, Somalia or some other nation at war and saw them down there killing each other in various and terrible ways, would you land that chopper, get out and talk to them? I don't think I would. At least until they got civilized and weren't so dangerous.

We have been having warfare on this planet for the last few thousand years at least. Humans are a dangerous animal. If it is true that the military has shot down a UFO, or attempted to do so, they would think that regardless of our technology and development, we still use our advanced technology for warfare. Not to mention our nuclear technology which if we believe some of the stories, then they seem to have a keen interest in our nuclear bases and other weapons facilities.

I am going on the premise that they have been here. Maybe have been watching us and wondering if we will grow out of all the killing or if we will destroy ourselves or quite possible the entire biosphere with nuclear weapons. Not only that, but if they were just say hanging out on the moon listening to our TV and radio traffic, they would be hearing about shootings, stabings, etc every night even in areas that don't appear to be at war. I think any way you look at the human condition right now, you would think that these humans are extremely dangerous to deal with. They don't even get along with other humans with different skin colors. What do you think those humans might do if a non-human comes down for a visit? I don't know that I would be itching to find out. And if they did try to talk to our military before, well I am sure being telepathic they picked up on a lot of dangerous thoughts whether they intended on it or not. Military men are experts at war and killing the enemy, not being ambassadors to the galaxy.

[edit on 8/9/10 by spirit_horse]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
A long time ago, I red something interesting about the building of the tower of babel.
I think it wasn´t the story told in the way the bible does.
I will search my books later for the story.. but it says.
Men build the tower to set upon a vehicle, which could fly. The gods didn´t want that men could do the same things they did and destroyed the tower of babel.

I red this also:

During the Apollo landing, Neil Armstrong says, "They're here.They are right over there and looking at the size of those ships., it is obvious they dont like us being here”.

This is from: www.ufo-blogger.com...

If we got some of our technology from reverse engineering, they might be a little bit wary.
Generally speaking:

If our technical development is too fast, ET doesn´t want to risk anything. They wait until it´s safe. Perhaps they have a protocol, like the Enterprise crew.

(sorry for grammer, not native speaking)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   

I guess that all depends on what you consider self aware......perhaps ants believe they are self aware.......but to us, they are just ants...

Its important to hypothesize i suppose, that everything is relative.....relative to our own existence and what WE deem to be intelligent beings, what WE deem to be self aware......

To beings that are thousands, possibly millions of years more advanced than us, or even just fundamentally,and biologically different, perhaps their view of us would be that we are fairly simple, mindless beings.....

It was said once that to acknowledge life on other planets from our end, we would have to realize that perhaps what we we deem to be life here, wouldnt necessarily be the same somewhere else.....

That being said.....our idea of intelligence, might be vastly different, and rudimentary to another race of beings......

[edit on 8-9-2010 by ManBehindTheMask]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I agree, that technology, in a way, can infect a civilisation. If a civilisation obtains a technology, that it does not understand, then like you said, it means the path of discovering it, never happened.

There are situations in life, that I know how to handle. Situations in life, I know how to avoid. I gained this knowledge from my experience's of failure, heartache, repetitions and regrets.

You have to go through it, to understand it. How many things were you warned, not to do, by your parents, only to do it anyway, and then understand what they meant.

As the saying goes;

''I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand.''

Regards,

Red

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Maybe they were once on planet Earth. Perhaps they are still here. My theory on technology has always been that what we see today was invented 20 years ago. A lot of technology disappears after it has been presented as a concept, also always wondered about that. If some technology is extraterrestrial your theory makes sense, I've read stories about teflon before for example.

I have seen a UFO that was reported on radar and it was being intercepted by 5 F16's. It simply vanished once they got close. I never assumed it was alien I did take it in account however. It could be a secret test flight or perhaps even people from the future.

A few things though that have always kept me thinking....

The cattle mutilations. I have seen documentaries and pictures that to me seemed real. There are FBI reports describing these mutilations and disappearances of cattle. The problem here is that they seem to use laser scalpels which are highly advanced. And they are only taking specific organs. The organs that have similarities with human DNA.

Of course there is no way for me to verify what i've read online but the stories seemed real and coming from good folks that lost their cattle. Combined with the FBI files I have to assume this is real.

It almost seems as if someone is making a collection of DNA material. If these were contemporary earthlings why waste so much time and money to refurbish a helicopter to operate cows in midair? That is the real question here.

Good post Airspoon

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
Because of this, ET might be extremely hesitant to make contact, not for fear of their own safety, rather out of caution for ours. Think about it for a moment... What if we somehow gave apes machine guns or a similar type device that they could operate. Not only would they most likely drive themselves extinct, but they would also endanger us too, as they have the ability to affect the entire food chain. The repercussions of something such as this could be enormous.

Nice! But I have to say I disagree with what you've implied. The point is why would ET (If they want to make contact) provide us with dual or malevolent technology? There are a million other technologies that can be used for the good of mankind in order to hasten their evolution to at least a Type I civilization (We're not even a fraction of it as yet!).

Like for example, the ability to harness the power of the sun for providing unlimited energy to the world. That would be a quantum jump. Or instant interstellar communications, wireless electric transmission, gravity shielding for transportation and FTL propulsion to explore the galaxy!

So, I think ETs would never give us the technology that could not only destroy us but affect the Solar System as a whole!

Therefore this is not a reason for a no-contact scenario. The fact is that there probably are millions of advanced civilizations in this Galaxy alone. Why should they bother meddling with our mud ball hidden in a nondescript quadrant of the Galaxy? They probably have more pressing things on hand?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   

You may be interested in a film I watched last night. Some of you may have seen it those of you haven't I would urge you to.
Its called, The Day The Earth Stood Still. Keanu Reeves.
Very good and would seem to answer some questions you may have.
We are killing earth, humans, our ways are destroying everything here.
We all need to change before its too late.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

You see, what if we gained a lot of our modern technology through UFO crashes, whether it be the Roswell crash or the alleged Black Forest crash? As we all know, we use this supposed gained knowledge for nefarious purposes. If this is the case and we actually have gained most of our modern technology through reverse engineering of alien craft, then our minds haven't evolved enough to responsibly handle the technology. There is an imbalance between what we have and what we are capable of.

Ever see the South african film about the Bushmen of the Kalarhi and a Coke bottle. en.wikipedia.org... . Coke bottles to the bushmen would be like extradimensional (antigravity) engines to us. In the end, the lead character threw the errant (and trouble-making) coke bottle off the edge of a cliff so it would never be seen again.

Many people ask the question, "Why doesn't ET just land on the WH lawn and introduce themselves?" or "Why is ET so elusive?". My theory is rooted in the widely held "ant pile" theory (though not so much), to where ET doesn't interfere with our lives or our planet, just as we don't interfere when passing an ant pile, however it is only rooted in such a notion and expands both on it and over it.

Off-planet politics are certainly involved. :-)

If ET makes contact with us, then who knows how much more technology we get from them, whether it be handed down to us or reverse engineered. Clearly, our minds have not yet evolved enough to use this technology in a responsible manner, if in fact it is due to reverse engineering, thereby threatening the entire system. We may have been contaminated with technology.

Maybe "ideas" are more important than technology? The concept of a banking system and corporations might be quite revolutionary to medieval europe.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
IMO our planet is being visited by ETs, but I'm not sure we have successfully reverse engineered anything we've recovered from crashed spacecraft. Perhaps our scientists working in these secret fields are inspired by what they've seen, but maybe no real ET tech has resulted.

Either ETs are indifferent or they figure humanity is so fragile that coming forward when most of the world is still stuck believing in terrestrial religions that ignore any notion of a universe teeming with life and contemporary science that does its damndest to keep us in the dark that such a revelation would shock us into a destructive meltdown. These ETs might feel its better to let us work it out as much as we can before revealing themselves or they're waiting until we're at the brink of completely wrecking everything on the planet before finally coming forward in a type of cosmic intervention. I wouldn't hold my breath for either scenario.

edit on 8-9-2010 by Frith because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I really enjoy speculating about this kind of thing

For a long time I basically rejected the idea of ET visitation, because of the light speed limit. Now I doubt such a limit exists, I think that the vacuum and gravity is poorly understood - and that in fact that limit can be broken.

I am definitely of the ant pile school of thought though. I think that due to the age of the universe, if ET is visiting us - then they are extremely old - if so then they would most likely be non biological, that is - they are intelligent machines, even if they evolved from biological forms originally.

That would mean their capacity for thought and communication would be so far above our capacity that we would seem, not like ants - but more like microbes. Intelligent machines would almost surely have evolved from biological intelligent life - so they probably consider us in the same way we might consider a strand of RNA - a very basic form of life, not evolved enough to interact with.

Of course there would be a great deal of variation throughout the galaxy - so other biological entities might also be in proximity - but I think the oldest, and most powerful would probably have established laws to protect planets such as ours.

It also makes a lot of sense to me that our planet was either completely designed and built for us from scratch, or life was cultivated here and that a machine intelligence is meant to evolve from us.

In terms of how a machine intelligence evolves - there are two main options. Either we slowly evolve into machines - by cybernetics, then eventually artificial brains - or more likely in my view, we create intelligent machines - then they wipe us out.

edit on 19-9-2010 by Amagnon because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join