It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would You Vote For A Muslim?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
No I would not. I don't even like the fact that the President has to be religious. Part of the problem is that the majority of people are running around mentally ill believing in an invisible being. Wow. Humans are so gullible.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by General.Lee

I see you have a warped sense on how Human Rights go. That's fine. Continue living in a dream world of mythology.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

Just a question.

What do YOU base your morals upon?

Are they current morals? Future?

Are they transitory? Meaning, if in the future the world thinks a certain thing is moral, will you adjust YOUR definition of morals?

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by chaseninja

To the OP... When I first read your post, I asked myself... would I vote for a Christian, Jewish person, Muslim person, etc. and I would not care of their personal religious views. I would care about their professional qualifications and character, amongst other things.

But to answer your question, Yes, if they are the right person for the job.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Islam is not a form of government. Islam is a religion. A theocracy is a form of government that bases its laws on relgious ones. A theocracy is when the religion's god is seen as the leader of the country and country is governed by religious laws of whichever holy book the religion adheres to.

Islam is a complete societal system, composed of religious, governmental, and social factors. My main problem with it is the way it blends governance and religion. Centuries ago, other religions did the same, but they have progressed beyond that for the most part. There are, currently, elements within islam who are trying to move it into the 18th century from it's current seat in the 7th century, and in another hundred years or so, it may even finally break into the 21st century if they meet with any degree of success. They are in danger from the 7th century fundamentalists every bit as much, or more so, than "we" are. The problem is that they are much closer (physical proximity) to the fundamentalists, and so are in a large part fearful of speaking out, in expectation of retaliation.

I think that will eventually pass, and islam will modernize and become a religion in fact as well as fantasy, but it's not there yet, and the road is likely to be bumpy.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
reply to post by SeventhSeal

Just a question.

What do YOU base your morals upon?

Are they current morals? Future?

Are they transitory? Meaning, if in the future the world thinks a certain thing is moral, will you adjust YOUR definition of morals?

I have no morals as they do not exist. It's about common sense and logic.

Morality is a term made up and abused by politicians, religious followers or preachers, and so on.

Explaining this to someone who believes in a talking snake or a man in the clouds is pointless, to be honest as it would never go anywhere.

It's called logic vs mythology.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

I'm just going to jump in and go a little off topic here for a moment, so bare with me.

Some of the founding fathers were Christian. Some devout, most by name only, and many more actively wrote against established religion in general.

"During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity, in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution." - James Madison

"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of...Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my own part, I disbelieve them all." - Thomas Paine

"As to Jesus of Nazareth, my Opinion of whom you particularly desire, I think the System of Morals and his Religion...has received various corrupting Changes, and I have, with most of the present dissenters in England, some doubts as to his Divinity; tho' it is a question I do not dogmatize upon, having never studied it, and think it needless to busy myself with it now, when I expect soon an opportunity of knowing the Truth with less trouble." - Benjamin Franklin

"Twenty times in the course of my late reading, have I been upon the point of breaking out, 'This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it!'" - John Adams

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." - Thomas Jefferson

Many were Deists or Unitarians, they believed in a higher power, but not necessarily a Christian one.

Revisionist history only works when the history is clouded or generally unknown. You can't pedal out blatantly false accusations as fact just to push your agenda.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Yeah

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Ignorance_Defier

keep the fighting down guys. good discussion so far though.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
My view is this, I don't care what a man’s religious views are. I look at candidates like this, if I think that they would let religion to cloud their judgment then I don’t vote for them. I don’t care what faith they belong to, so long as the nation is first. I dont want some nut in office who thinks she/he'll bring on the rapture by attacking Austria or something or other.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal

I have no morals as they do not exist. It's about common sense and logic.

Morality is a term made up and abused by politicians, religious followers or preachers, and so on.

Explaining this to someone who believes in a talking snake or a man in the clouds is pointless, to be honest as it would never go anywhere.

It's called logic vs mythology.

...Wait what?

Okay, either you have NO idea what you are saying or you're a nihilist; which personally I consider synonymous with idiot.

Morality is what we believe is right and wrong. That's it. And hey, guess what; you can determine what you believe to be right and wrong with logic. Especially considering the study of morality, ethics, is a completely secular philosophy...yeah I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Seriously, you sound like a 15 year old militant atheist who just found some Nietzsche and like most 15 year old militant atheists completely misinterpreted what Nietzsche is talking about.

edit on 9-9-2010 by SpectreDC because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
I have no morals as they do not exist. It's about common sense and logic. Morality is a term made up and abused by politicians, religious followers or preachers, and so on. Explaining this to someone who believes in a talking snake or a man in the clouds is pointless, to be honest as it would never go anywhere. It's called logic vs mythology.

Hahaha...

Wow! I have never read such ignorant statement in my entire life. Understanding what is right and wrong is an emotional experience. Logic is an emotionless observational tool. Mythology to our generation was once a religion to another; thus, they provided a moral set of instructions to establish civility and self meaning. Without a religion or faith to act as a guiding moral compass, life would be dark, meaningless, and hollow.

So, are you going to heaven or nowhere?

edit on 9-9-2010 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I've given this idea some thought in the past and here is where I ended up.

I would rather vote for a Muslim than someone who has no religious belief. To me it is more important upon the question of religion in that they feel that there is a high power over them (there is de facto: the people, but still..).

But this would be a small part of the equation I'd use to figure out who to vote for. If I didn't agree with what he was proposing to do then no I would not, but it would be based on the issues, not religion or political party. So I guess what I am saying is that this question is not of high importance to me when determining my vote. But I think it is a question we should all come to face at some point in order to discern for ourselves the answer we feel is right.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join