It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would You Vote For A Muslim?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by chaseninja

Would they follow the Constitution?
Would they eliminate the unConstitutional agencies?
Would they go after the corrupt governmental officials?
Would they follow the RULE OF LAW set down by the Constitution?
Would they allow social freedoms?
Would they eliminate the corporate marriage of government and big business?
Would they allow individual freedom and individual property ownership?

If yes on all of the above-

Hell yes!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I would vote for a Muslim, but at the time Obama was running and even today, tensions are very high over Muslim/Christian relations due to 9-11. If Obama was a Muslim and came out and said that, I would bet all that all that I have and will have that he wouldn't have been elected. And should it come to light that he does in fact practice the faith of Islam, I would feel as if the entire country was shafted. I am not sure if that is where you were going with your question, but that is the direction I saw.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I vote for the person who can do the best job in office.
I'd prefer not having a hard-core religious person in the office... of any religion.
It would effect their decision making. A non-religious person would be best IMHO.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
If I had my way I'd only vote for somebody exhibiting no religious identity. The term extremist Muslim is no scarier to me then the word extremist Christian.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Honestly, I don't think I would vote for a Muslim. The reason is because Muslims seem to have a hard time with the whole seperating church and state thing. Muslims believe Gods law trumps everything, sharia law should apply to everyone.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
My vote would not be based on the religion of someone running for office.

I always try to choose the person that I think will do the best job of representing me.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

what if an American Muslim or infact anyone who isnt a Christian ran for president. Would You Vote For Them if they had good ideals and a plan to turn the country around and seemed like a good canidate or would you pass them off as a terrorists

As some have said...we already did.

Even if you accept that Obama is now a Christian, he was at one time, a muslim.

Personally, I doubt I would vote for a muslim. Not for any terrorist nonsense, etc., but for the simple fact that the views of the Koran are not my own, and this religion is literally religion first, all else second. Therefore, I'd have a hard time believing a muslim would be able to put the economy, defense, etc. AHEAD of any religious concerns. If he did so, then he wouldn't be adhering to his own beliefs.

Unlike many Americans, I've lived side by side with Muslims in their own land, so I have more than an educated opinion on this. The majority of these folks are just like you and me, and are decent and kind people. However, the Islam religion is all about submitting to their god, and becoming a servant to his ideals. Religion for these folks is more than just a sideline, it is their whole existence...something most Westerners just do not realize. Therefore, I'd have a hard time believing a leader would be able to set aside those beliefs.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
yes. Religion is not what I use to vett who I vote for.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
i dont vote.
but if i did vote, still no.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
If the candidate was qualified to do the job in my mind, I would vote for him or her regardless of religion. (If the person was a religious fanatic of any sort I probably wouldn't vote for him/her...Muslim, Christian, or otherwise).

However, as an important side-note, I also believe the system is so corrupted and out of kilter now that the figure of the president itself is dwindling. The world has simply become too complex for one individual to wield as much power as he could in past eras. We are in the age of networks and it is a very ugly network indeed that has the REAL power, regardless of the president. So unless the lobbying system, corruption, special economic interests, etc. etc. can be purged, its a moot point who the president happens to be at the moment, regardless of religion, race, gender, or any other such factor. Remember this well...

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Religion stops our society from advancing. Screw that crap id vote for who every was gonna make this country great.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Unlike many Americans, I've lived side by side with Muslims in their own land, so I have more than an educated opinion on this.

But if we were voting for a Muslim candidate for U.S. President, this would be his or her land, not wherever you lived.

Your experience of living among Muslims, moreover, would no doubt have been very different depending on which land you lived in: Saudi Arabia is not Turkey is not Syria is not Egypt is not India is not Malaysia, etc.

And none of those places is the U.S. The populations will by definition be different -- American Muslims (with the exception of Nation of Islam members) are virtually all descendants of people who chose to come to America. Who chose to make this "their own land".

Sometimes familiarity with only one version of a religion is more blinding than revealing. I can't pretend to have your experience of living in a Muslim country, but I have known several Muslim Americans from several different backgrounds (mostly from attending one of the city colleges here in NYC, but I also knew Muslims at my high school and undergrad college, and have worked with Muslims) and they seem every bit as diverse as the Christians I've known.

I would want to know that a Muslim candidate for president shared my understanding of the separation of Church and State, but then I'd need to know the same of a Christian candidate, given a poll I read recently showing that 9% of Americans think the Bible should be the only source of legislation. I would have concerns about whether they shared my positions on issues like reproductive rights and gay marriage -- but those are the same questions I'd have to put to many Christian candidates.

I don't spend much time in the Conspiracies in Religion forum here, but the recent spate of "What Muslims Believe" posts and threads really reminds me of the occasional post I've read about how Catholics aren't real Christians, or Evangelicals aren't real Christians, or whatever. It's not a monolithic belief system, there are huge variations. To say that "if a Muslim could put the economy etc ahead of any religious concerns he wouldn't be following his religion" is to say that you are arbiter of how to follow the Muslim religion, or to accept the word of some Muslims that it shouldn't be done as binding on all Muslims. Many Muslims see no friction between the secular law and government of the U.S. and their personal practice of their faith -- what gives you the power to tell them they are wrong about that?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
No, I would not ever vote for a muslim.

1) They do not believe that Jesus is the son of God and deny His deity. Jesus comes first.

2) No matter how ugly I am, I refuse to wear a burqa.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Why not ask, what kind of person first?. People are brain washed, i mean how meny catholic priest sex abuse cases are they? I think there are bad and good people, catholic, muslims... but you have to ask what kind of person it is first

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Personally, because I am 'religious', I would only vote for someone who is my same religion.

So no I would not vote for a Muslim, since that is not my religion.

Lots of reasonable things to say that make it seem like the religion doesn't matter, but if it matters to you, then it matters. And it matters to me.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I vote for people based on their initiatives, track record, and what they stand for POLITICALLY! Religion doesn't matter, he could believe in the flying spaghetti monster if he wanted to...I'd still vote for him if his political opinions are sound.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
Honestly, I don't think I would vote for a Muslim. The reason is because Muslims seem to have a hard time with the whole seperating church and state thing. Muslims believe Gods law trumps everything, sharia law should apply to everyone.

A lot of Christians have a really hard time separating church and state too. Just look at the whole gay marriage or abortion discussion...

Fact is, religion should stay the hell away from politics since it's not based on rationality!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
According to Seven Thunders," The fruits of Islam are violence, slavery, misogyny and poverty." What? And the Christians have clean noses? Give me a break.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by chaseninja
Well i was sitting in my history class today and some idiot mentioned something about muslims being terrorists blah blah blah.(i live in a very redneck part of the country where people don't like it if your not like them) Well that made me think what if an American Muslim or infact anyone who isnt a Christian ran for president. Would You Vote For Them if they had good ideals and a plan to turn the country around and seemed like a good canidate or would you pass them off as a terrorists. I would vote for them if i agreed with their ideas,would you do the same? why or why not?

look forward to your responses-Chaseninja

First of all, no. Doesn't mean that I would pass them off as terrorists. It just means that I could never vote for anyone who believes in the koran. I have a hard enough time with the bible. But then again I would never vote for anyone who believed in the communist manifesto either, oops we did.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
I vote for people based on their initiatives, track record, and what they stand for POLITICALLY! Religion doesn't matter, he could believe in the flying spaghetti monster if he wanted to...I'd still vote for him if his political opinions are sound.

Islam is a complete system that encompasses daily life as well as politics. That's what sharia law is all about.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join