It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul Speaks About Quran Burning

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

“A professed Christian pastor in Gainesville, Florida, Terry Jones, plans to burn copies of the Quran on 9/11. He indicts all Islam for 9/11 and argues that it is a hate-driven religion. He’s convinced he’s on God’s side even though he is getting little support from other Christians, who believe that Jesus is the Prince of Peace.

“General David Petraeus, our military commander in Afghanistan, strongly condemned Mr. Jones’ plan, arguing it would be provocative, make his fight against the Taliban in Afghanistan more difficult and further jeopardize the lives of American soldiers.

“I agree! This blame of all Muslims for the atrocities of 9/11 only makes things worse — especially since it wasn’t the Taliban of Afghanistan that committed the atrocities on 9/11. Under Jones’ warped logic, we should have attacked Saudi Arabia since 15 of the 19 suicide bombers came from that country.

Source

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page):
Please make sure every post matters.
Refrain from 1-line or very-minimal responses.
Edit-down your quoted posts to the important part.
Don't use "txting" shorthand in posts.
Use snippets and links for external content.
Provide meaningful comments for links, pictures, and videos.

[edit on Tue Sep 7 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
It's narrow-minded bigots like Jones that are responsible for much of the world's problems. Hate isn't the answer!

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Burning the Quaran and this pastor being stupid enough to blame the whole of a people rather than just the few who are responsible for 9/11equates to a statement similar:

I am afraid of you and I think you all hate us, so I am going to hate you back

So childish. Nothing will come of this aside from more hatred, division, anger and pain....

The pastor and anyone who goes to burn the Quran are hypocrites. Why? Because they are meeting what they perceive as hatred, with more hatred....

Nothing good will come of it. Just more of the same.... Damn, and we wonder why the world is gone to hell.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
back up a minute..

to all the flag burners and the ephigy burning were you people so upset at those events?

nah like it or not its the same thing as free speech.

burn a flag noone gives a crap
burn an ephigy of bush noone gives a crap

hell for both of those events most will cheer with glee.

but wait

burn an ephigy of obama- OH HELL NO!
burn a koran- OH HELL NO!

just goes to show the hypocrisy of the leftists.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

The artice is quite good..
Ron Paul is,IMO a voice of reason..

“But while I am pleased to see General Petraeus recognize the danger of one type of incitement, he unfortunately fails to see the whole picture and understand that our policies of torture, targeted assassination, invasion of Muslim countries and unintended infliction of civilian casualties in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan are also provocative.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

If you read the responses, it isn't the burning of the Koran that irks people, it's the irrational logic of the pastor propagating the act. The guy talks about Islam being a religion of hate then burns a bunch of Korans to show how much he, a Christian, hates Islam?

I could give a flying hoot if he burns the Koran, a Bible, a Flag from any country, a picture of Obama/Bush/Regan as long as the items belong to him. They are just objects and, yes, people have a freedom of speech. That doesn't mean I can't think his motives are completely backwards and illogical.

Why don't you tell us your views on this instead of just flaming "leftists"?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

All true and I asked in a sililar thread,

"Where did they get the Qurans?
Did they buy them?
Thus giving money to the very religion they are protesting about?

Now! If they stopped Muslims in the street, stole their Qurans and then burned them, that would be a protest.
One that I would NOT like to see happen..

Seems to me this church is lacking patrons and is just chasing publicity..
You would think a man of God would be more reasonable..

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
This situation exemplifies exactly why I steer clear of any and all organised religions. They are the biggest con on earth, and serve to breed hatred and division everywhere.

People are people. Good people are good people irrespective of their religion, or lack of it.

Violent, murderous people are violent murderous people, irrespective of their religion.

To fight over 'labels' is ridiculous - yet that is what happens all the time.

It really is time people stopped buying into these insane scenarios. Murder is murder whether it's called Islam, Zionism, Christianity or American foreign policy, and I am against it all.

Love and peace are love and peace, whatever label they come under.

Burning the Koran is insane. Taking offence at someone burning the Koran is insane. Buying into this whole situation, which is all part of the matrix, is insane.

When we simply start to relate to human nature as human nature, and how to be the sublime beings that we could be, perhaps the insanity will cease.

A world divided is easier to control and subdue. I refuse to buy into their nefarious games.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

I agree with all you say..

IMHO, ALL religions were CREATED as a form of control...

I'm not saying there is no God,though I am not religious,

but I have always believed these "books" were written by men for their own purposes...

The only point I would argue is this,

A world divided is easier to control and subdue. I refuse to buy into their nefarious games.

I'd like to say I'm the same but the fact that we are in a site such as this means we "have" bought into their games..

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Ever read Fahrenheit 451?

Bradbury states that a person he spoke with at the local fire department said "Book-paper catches fire at 451 degrees Fahrenheit". The "firemen" burn them "for the good of humanity".

en.wikipedia.org...

And you know the Nazis burnt books before the real action got going.

en.wikipedia.org...

They destroyed all kinds of things, like paintings, sculptures, etc. Things depicting the ideas they detest.

It's not just religion or anything, any ideology can be applied to this concept. Various religions do it sometimes, people might call them a bit overzealous. Impetuous.

So I am not really a fan of the book burnings. I don't like what it leads to. Conflict, death, suffering, etc.

But I don't think there needs to be a law preventing it either though. Look on the bright side, the guy is buying someone's books and funding their publishing house. So it's a win-win situation. Crazy guy gets to play with fire, someone sells some books, the book gets promoted in the media, and Internet people the world over get to criticize him all they want.

It seems to me like everyone wins here. In this particular situation.

If people start following him, THEN we have a problem.

But I am betting most people will find out he's just some guy that likes to burn stuff, and mix it with a little religion,lol.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
The amount of Churches burnt down by Muslims compared to the amount of Mosques burnt down is staggering, the amount of Churches converted to Mosques in Europe could also be seen as an insult but no one hears of it or gets any news coverage where you know there is going to be a backlash. But we do hear of Muslims blowing up Mosques at least because that does not offend Christians or athiests.

When we hear someone burning a Koran then hell breaks lose on both sides of the fence. Do Muslims have Bibles to burn? Well if you read one in public in the Middle East I am sure it would be the last book you read along with your family and it that does happen.

One thing this event will bring is exposure, you will see how many real extreamists there are waiting for you, if they are in America and I am sure there are lots then this should expose them to a point where they would have come for you anyway, at the moment its in stealth mode and maybe its a wakeup call you need to bring out the wolves in sheep clothing.

Would I do such a thing - No but its interesting to see what comes of this.

Why did this guy get so much exposure anyway, how come the whole world knows about it now? Talk about set up through the media to get more people angry.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
back up a minute..

to all the flag burners and the ephigy burning were you people so upset at those events?

but wait

Neocon - clearly people can do what they want, nobody is suggesting intervention.

The hypocrisy lays with the Muslims and Christians who use religion to pursue an agenda of hate. Jesus did not teach the virtues of hatred and division, he opposed these things... Men who use religion, indoctrination and their flock to promote this kind of thing are tyrants and false prophets, regardless of faith.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

well now arent you just a fountain of wisdom.

jesus also taught to turn the other cheek and judge not lest ye be judged.

christianity is the only religion in the entire world people can take a dump on and not only can people get away with it but they will join in.

not islam tho not the koran tho.

and people are calling for an intervention from preists to petreaus to the white house

so those statements are not entirely accurate.

lastly my personal beliefs are between me an my maker not some person giving me their "interpretations"" of it.

i do not take kindly being preached at by someone else when it comes to jesus.

if neocon well suppose to be an insult it wasnt

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

I don't see how burning a Quran is a very productive way of protesting. Sure it's their right to do it, just like the show Jackass has a right to be on... doesn't make it right though. To me it just reinforces stereotypes on both sides. Hardly a good thing to do, IMO.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
edited **post in wrong thread**

[edit on 7-9-2010 by neo96]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

reply to post by Janky Red

jesus also taught to turn the other cheek and judge not lest ye be judged.

so you agree the priest is not a good Christian!

Great, glad we agree!

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
First Petraeus makes a statement about burning the koran, now Ron Paul has to pick up his 15 minutes of fame over this. My very first reaction is "who gives a flying fu*k about anything Ron Paul says!". He is nothing more than an attention whore who cherry picks topics were the public is inflamed or a hot button topic he knows will create a headline. He is the height of hypocrisy with all his public stunts.

Funny how these two guys have not made a public pronouncement about this woman's plight.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

That is because Ron Paul, as he has always asserted, is concerned about the problems we have going on in OUR OWN country right now (in regards to the woman being stoned). And there are plenty of them. We need to fix us before we fix others. Ron Paul does not pick hot button issues anymore than any one of us do. He only "cherry picks" topics that are even remotely of consequence to all of us and the fate of this country as a whole. He is hardly ever in headlines. I am unsure of what you mean by him being a hypocrite "with all his public stunts". What stunts?

I should comment that I find it interesting that your perception of him is that he only picks hot button topics that inflame people while you complain that he is not making comments about what is a hot button topic inflaming people right now.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I'm not sure why your talking about your beliefs and your maker and not being preached to about by Jesus. It's not about you. It's about this pastor making public comments decrying Islam as being a religion of hate while he orchestrates a protest out of hate and calls himself a Christian which is a religion based on the teachings of Jesus. Those teachings include loving thy neighbor, turning the other cheek, not judging...all things the pastor is not doing.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

back up a minute..

but wait

That's complete deflection, and counter productive.

Two wrongs don't make a right, and all your argument is, that if someone anyone has committed what you consider a wrong, it gives you free pass to committ a wrong.

By those standards then everyone becomes justified in doing what ever they want to do, regardless of how wrong or stupid it is, as long as they can cite an example of someone else doing something wrong or stupid.

At some point someone has to act more mature than a six year old.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions period.

They need to consider them and judge them based on their own merrit or lack there of.

All your post is saying is you don't favor that.

What's hysterical, is while this particular pastor only has about 50 people in his congregation, thousands of Christians and Jews in other Churches and Synagouges in the Gainesville area are actually going to include passages from the Quran in their sermons this coming weekend to protest against this action.

So in reality these bigots and xenophobic tunder heads are promoting a greater awareness of Islam, and encouraging reasonable people to learn more about the postive things about it and more about the positive things about the people who practice it as a faith.

Isn't it ironic that the people who are in fact doing the most to promote Islam in the United States are not the Muslims but the ones who fear it the most.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join