It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does it take to be happy? About $75,000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Does happiness rise with income? In one of the more scientific attempts to answer that question, researchers from Princeton have put a price on happiness.

It's about $75,000 in income a year. They found that not having enough money definitely causes emotional pain and unhappiness. But, after reaching an income of about $75,000 per year, money can't buy happiness. More money can, however, help people view their lives as successful or better.

Los Angeles Times

Money doesn't buy happiness....but helps alot in these days.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Ive never had lots of money.
Ive never been THAT happy, except on certain occasions.

Lots of times I would like to do things, but just cant afford to, so I sit and mope and think about how happy I could be if I could afford to do the things I would like to do.

Since I have never had the money, I have never known anything else but
living 'broke'. Ive always had to make due with what I had, and that was very little.

Tell you the truth, I dont even know what real happiness is, since I have never really experienced it besides those 'certain occassions'(all of which had nothing to do with money, rather from moments).

I would be HAPPY to take that woman on a date, but I just cant afford it.

I would be HAPPY to take a cruise state by state, but I cant afford it.

I would be HAPPY to partake in certain events that I enjoy, but I cant afford it.

I would be HAPPY to eat Capt'n Crunch instead of Kaptain Krunch, But I just cant afford it.

I would be HAPPY to tell everyone to just *@#! *!!, but I just cant afford it.

Im sure money could buy happiness, but likeI stated earlier, I wouldnt know, Ive never had either.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by metalpr

I've known and worked for some multi-millionaires over the years and found each of them were not as happy as they projected to the world, simply because having a lot of Money is a headache in itself despite the freedom it provides.

Even when I worked I never made more than $25,000 a year.. Aussie dollars.

Now I'm pensioned off, a single parent and struggling to keep head above water.. and yet I can find happiness in the simplest of things.. usually.

So I disagree that money can make you more happy.. I do agree that lacking enough can cause headaches, but I don't subscribe to the concept of Modern Lifestyle and having to have all the Stuff.

So to me, being on the fringe of society, being poor and still finding some joy in life is perfectly fine. At least I am home for my child when she needs me.. as she is the most important JOB I have in life... far more important than making money or having "Lifestyle".

edited for dyslexic spelling

[edit on 7-9-2010 by Tayesin]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good

I would be HAPPY to take a cruise state by state, but I cant afford it.

I'd love to buy a Harley and cruise state by state too

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Happiness is relevant to perception; it's all about attitude. Recognizing the little things in life can make all the difference. Simple things such as taking a walk on a nice day, reading at the library, or spending time with family can make all the difference.

Happiness seems to go hand in hand with the ability to discern what is truly important in life.

At least ... that's how I see it.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by Nurv47]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
As an entrepreneur that has made fortunes, lost everything and had to start over....

I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better.

All those people that claim to be poor and happy....good for you!

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nurv47
Happiness is relevant to perception; it's all about attitude. Recognizing the little things in life can make all the difference. Simple things such as taking a walk on a nice day, reading at the library, or spending time with family can make all the difference.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by Nurv47]

I agree, but sometimes, to take a stroll through the park you need money to get there (gas, bus or train).

to read a book at the library, you need money to get there...and if you walk you may be hungry and tire when you get there, so you'll need money to lunch.

even when we spend time with our families we spend money in the process.

that's why I said that money doesn't buy happiness, but helps...alot =)

[edit on 7-9-2010 by metalpr]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I've never been rich. I've never strived for rich, which ISN'T to imply that I could've achieved it had I wished to. I drive a 1991 Mazda Bongo van that I paid USD $900 for. I've never in my life purchased a new automobile.

Early on, I've strived for simplicity. Even when I lived in the urban sprawl of Los Angeles, or San Francisco area, I wanted to live simply.

I've had bouts of extreme unhappiness, and I agree with the OP to an extent in that -- within the constructs of (at least American) societal perceptions, to have a modicum of money tends to at least give a person options that those without money wish to have.

This might sound corny, but it's how I feel: I found happiness when I found true and reciprocal love. My Bride and I are going to celebrate our 22nd anniversary on the 17th of this month. We will probably pack a picnic, saddle up our tandem trike and blaze out for somewhere to eat and drink where we haven't before. Swimming in the sea will probably be involved, followed by a nap and perhaps more strenuous activities. Who knows what might happen that day -- there are no rules nor stringently defined expectations. I know we'll be together, and feel grateful to be so.

I love to grow food, and I love to share it. I enjoy making my own stuff, from footwear to soap. I hope to not die doing something foolish. I don't mind dying doing something risky, if it's something I love.

I am 52 years old. I'm in semi-retirement. I'm a bush hawg. I spend most of my time fighting the bush which wants to take over the land, and gardening. M'Bride has regular hours, and we carve out time for each other.

Find love. Embrace it, that's my advice to you who want to find happiness. Live in the moment and plan as you can for a potentially unstable future. Help others -- that's very important, both to your sense of self, and for giving the best of yourselves. Maybe, just maybe, when you're old and worn out, somebody will help you. I don't think you can count on being helped, and I think it's a mistake to do good turns with the expectation of same.

Find love, and embrace it, every single day, until you die.

edit for spellin' "unban sprawl?" ghaaaa

[edit on 7/9/10 by argentus]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by metalpr

Well, if walking is too far ... take a bike! I am willing to bet that most of us live within walking distance, or at least biking distance, to a park or a place of natural beauty, and the same applies with libraries.

One could easily pack an inexpensive home lunch at take it with them.

Not to mention ... one does not need to truly spend anything other than time to be be with family.

Perhaps money "helps" ... but it is hardly necessary.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Well, if walking is too far ... take a bike!

a bike that is bought with money =)

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
For all the people who need money to be happy. Where are they going to be when this economy falls apart and money don't mean anything. When the only thing that matters is, where can I get food, and how am I going to stay warm.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by metalpr

Not always, but most of the time. They are also quite inexpensive and overall a sound investment and solution to the problems you gave.

Obviously most people NEED money to survive ... and most people have at least SOME to spare. You definitely don't need to make $75,000 a year or anywhere close to be happy.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Strange, I always thought amassing wealth would cause severe unhappiness, so never really bothered trying to push myself towards that goal. I also found that being broke gave me an excuse to not have to go out to some idiotic night club or bar scene with my supposed friends for a night, many of times. Am quite grateful for living in poverty.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Are we talking about back when 75grand was a lot of money ?
Oops second line !

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

so poverty is the way to happiness!

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I actually envy your lifestyle.

But I on the other hand love the challenge of having an idea, creating a business plan, borrowing the money, implementing the concept into a concrete project, rolling up my sleeves and getting to work. The money is just a way to keep score. Sometimes I lose everything including the money people trusted me with and I have to scramble to pay them back.

It's a game. The rush is incredible when you are successful. And even in failure there is the satisfaction that at least you gave it a shot.

My next idea is a duzzy. All you venture capitalists out there U2U me. Let's talk...

"Men are failures, not because they are stupid, but because they are not sufficiently impassioned."Struther Burt

[edit on 7-9-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
$75,000 won't do it because we live in a enough is never enough society. Normally people live right up to or a little beyond their means. What's the difference between 30 thousand and one million if you still have to worry about how you are going to maintain your lifestyle.

[edit on 9/7/2010 by kinglizard]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Understand what you mean, Whaaa. There was a time when I thrilled to the challenge of "selling" a musical idea, getting it produced, recording it, and the elusive rush of the wash of praise of 'my people.' For me, it didn't last, and it was also an illusion of worth. I don't think that's true of most musicians, but it was true for me.

These days I write music that matters to me. I truly don't give a damn if it matters or speaks to anyone else. Well............. that's not really true. I'd be pleased if it spoke to someone else, but in this backdrop of techno-ized music that is prevalent where I live, I don't see it happening. Is that a reflection on the quality of my music? Probably........ but it makes me happy to ROCK!!! Plus, as an added bonus, it tends to chase the wild chickens away from our house. They, being garden snipers, are unwelcome, and I'm not going to contemplate eating them until a time when they are truly needed.

I know a man who worked all his life to build a bar, restaurant and store. He added another store, and is very successful. There was a time a few years ago where I would tend to his businesses when he and his wife were gone. It was a hell of a lot of work -- a 24-hour endeavor. I hated it. He would like to pass the torch to his children, exept that they aren't interested -- they know it's a lot of work.

I'm no stranger to work, but I have to enjoy it for it to have meaning. This man, about once a month he takes his old plank catboat out on the ocean and he spends the day fishing. Bottom fishing, which means he mostly sits in one place, just looking at the sea and waiting. I think it's the only time he's truly happy.

I never, ever want to be like that. He has a fortune, and it's a great weight to him, and little solace.

I said to him, "Buss, let's you and I go out to Pickle Bank and pull us in some dolphin [fish] and kingfish." He said, "maaan....... I can't spare the time. I have to clear the barge on Thursday and Friday, stock the stores on Saturday and Sunday, stock the bar and restaurant and deal with the money and there's just no time."

I think he was about to cry, and I wouldn't want him to see me seeing him do that. I'd be fine with it, but it'd kill him for somebody to see him so.

This may not be the best life, and I'm not sure such a thing exists that can be applied to everyone. It's the best life for me. There will be plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead.

cheersmon

top topics

join