It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS, Facebook, and your Identity.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I am concerned.

4 times now I have nearly clicked on the LIKE button for ATS on Facebook.

4 times I've nearly revealed my real life identity to the users and abusers on ATS.

I want to publicly acknowledge and contribute to ATS, but dare I?

How safe is it to partake in the Facebook pages, when partaking in activity on ATS often produces such vitriolic hatred? Do I really want people to have a handle on my real life name?

Does ATS have any measures to protect the identities of those who have joined the Facebook groups?

(Yes I know it's hard to match usernames to real names - but it's not that hard, I've done it on several occaisions.)

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
There is no connectivity between ATS and Facebook such that your Facebook name and ATS account name could be connected automatically. Unless, of course, you opt to reveal your ATS username on Facebook.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Thanks for the input Bill!

I realise that giving out your username on Facebook asks for trouble - but even a simpleton like me can make the personality connections, the interest links, and often the Youtube account crossovers etc.

It's really not hard to do.

Is there a mechanism for watching this sort of behaviour through facebook?

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

I have a Facebook account and use it. Facebook has numerous ways to set-up privacy access to your account. You can block yourself as far as allowing people to see what you like or not like (tweak who is able to see information you provide on Facebook), you can change that so that only your friends can view your posts, pictures, likes, etc. The link is found under Account, then go to Privacy. There you can put exactly what you want to share and what you do no want to share, and who you share the information with.

Hope this helps.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Another suggestions would be to have a "Spoof" face book, That way you can have one that does not give your real name ect,

You can use that for joining things ect on face book,
Many people have them, Even ATS members have some with there ATS name and not there real one.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I will never get a facebook account and I deleted my myspace account several years ago. I value my privacy.

Then again ANYTHING you post on the internet can be traced right back to you.

Only that way they have to work for it.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex
I realise that giving out your username on Facebook asks for trouble

On the "other hand," I've never been overly concerned, and my real-life name has been associated with conspiracy-related stuff since the mid 1980's.

My Facebook account uses my personal email address, which has my full name as the domain name. And the account identifies me as "SkepticOverlord" on ATS.

I used by real name when I managed the very-popular Political Conspiracies forum on CompuServe.

And there's white vans down the street.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I've been debating deleting my Facebook for a while. On one hand, I love how I can keep up with what people are doing, and even my parents have one now. On the other hand, is it worth it to hand over my privacy? This new "Places" feature has got me feeling uneasy and thinking twice about enabling GPS on my phone.
I mean, look at this Coca Cola Village in Israel.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by peterpansgirl

You can daebate all you like about deleting your facebook account but you can only 'suspend' it ! I did this a few weeks ago ! It's not the fact other 'people' can get info on you , i dont care bout that , it the 'other' ptb i dont want knowing ! Then i find ATS is now on FB ...great !

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by peterpansgirl

You can uncheck the places you have been to or are at. This gets rid of your issue with that, or should based on the T&C of FB.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I was concerned at first about joining face book and my ATS account.

Then I realized that I am not ashamed of my opinions and am the same here as I am in real life.

My face book friends know I'm a bit 'out there' and they still love me.

If I write anything on the Internet I don't care if it is published in the news paper.

I say what I mean and mean what I say. And I don't care who knows or agrees or disagrees.

Will join my new FB account with ATS.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The name on my ATS account and on my FB account are different.
The email account associated with each is also different.

I'm hoping this somehow assures some degree of privacy.

On the other hand, I agree with Dizziedame in that what I say, I mean. I am getting much more comfortable with standing by my beliefs and I don't care who knows. I may not be quite the "norm" but so what? I'm not a terrorist by a long shot. Damn, hardly even a dissident. Just a somewhat ornery independant thinker, lol.

Sooooo, cautiously optomistic, I have indeed thrown caution to the wind and "liked" ATS on my FB page.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Please contribute to the ongoing ATS & Facebook thread here.

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join