It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trying to save your home will get you tased

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by demongoat

more than likely the idiot was so intent on saving his snakes that he wouldn't follow their orders
When is the threshold crossed where cops have a right to come onto your property and give you orders?

Did he break a law?

edit on by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by demongoat

police know its a dangerous job, the idiot they tased apparently wasn't smart enough to know that fire is bad.
i honestly fail to see how they are remotely the same.

They are exactly the same, if the intent is to use deadly force (which is what a taser is on the right individuals) to enforce an attempt to keep one safe from dangerous activities initiated by oneself.

The man made a dangerous attempt to rescue his pets, at the risk of his own life. In order to protect him, he was tased.

The police make dangerous attempts daily in doing their duty, often at the risk of their own life. In order to protect them, should we not tase them into submission as well?

The problem here is that you are seeing the situation through your own eyes. In your eyes, the snakes were unimportant; in the man's eyes, apparently they were extremely important. in your eyes, the police did him a service by shooting 50,000 Volts of electrical energy through his body. In his eyes, his rescue attempt was being interfered with and he was subjected to torture.

Try looking at the situation through his eyes, and I imagine you will be able to see clearly.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Taser happy, that's all that is happening.
Taser grandma at a road stop, taser dad in front of the family on a traffic stop, taser spectators, taser bystanders,
taser kids, taser everyone,
it's a weapon being abused and the abuse justified.
There's a new one now called the dazer, it uses light to blind you,
so soon we'll be blinded and shocked and sat on and cuffed and tossed into the backseat and hauled away for whatever reason deemed at the moment.
Cant wait !

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
ok to every one who thinks they should have let this guy alone to do what he was trying to do call your fire department and tell them to NEVER come over your house if there's a fire that you want your freedom to burn with it .
The guy was over emotional and he needed a calm head to step in simple and to the point.
as for not just grabbing the guy you would all be yelling police brutality .
like it or not being tazed is a lot less likly to cause permanent damage then being drug away kiking and screaming.
the guy was worryed about the snakes ? when he has a wife and kids and more on the way?
sure let him burn then you can all yell about how she now needs state help to feed the kids and how much of a louser she is.
you people need to find issues with every thing.
You would probly cural up in a ball if you couldnt find something to say was bad alest once a day.

Its a mans HOME. How is that hard to understand? Im sure cops and firefighter become emotional too when they see something that provokes emotions, we are all human after all. So, just because someone is feeling emotion, that immediately makes them unable to perform a task? If Im feeling "emotional" does that give me right to call in sick to work? Maybe, but thats the most crybaby excuse I have ever heard. What about mothers who in a moment of emotion and adrenaline, have literally picked up a car to save their child. Wait, they were emotional right, they shouldnt have been able to even come close to the scene. Someone should have held them back while their child was crushed to death. Please......

When I was a young child, we had a horrible fire nearly burn down our brand new home that my father built with this own hands. It was in the hills and trees around our home, other houses were burning down, and it looked like ours didnt stand a chance. My dad told my mom to get me out and go to her parents. He proceeded to stand on the roof with two garden hoses to keep the flames at bay until help could arrive. Guess what!? Help never came. The local fire department decided it was too dangerous to go, and hung back a few blocks away stopping traffic and fighting little flames here and there.

My father stood on that roof for over 24 hours, risking his life to protect what he spent his whole life working for. He successfully saved our house as well as our neighbors house. He had a 104* fever when help finally arrived and was delirious. But he didnt care, why? Because he did what had to be done. He manned up and saved the god damn house. If the cops would have come, I guarantee you it would have taken more than a tazer to get him off that roof

edit on 8-9-2010 by WhiteDevil013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

Well according to most religions you don't even have control once you die!!! Your fate is decided by an entity and your either condemned or saved. Well thats what they say anyway. We could quite possibly be never truly free!!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
If they'd done nothing and the guy had died in the fire, the city, the police department, and the fire department would likely all be facing lawsuits for not stopping him. Seems to me their choice was get sued for letting him kill himself or get sued for stopping him. Rock and a hard place if you ask me.

starred my friend. i agree 100%. people complain about cops using tasers and less lethal force. but they dont understand that they use these devices to prevent lawsuits from the same people that bash them. in most cases cops are gonna get sued by someone. so what would Joe Civilian do? either let the man die and get sued by his family and lose your job. or tase him and he lives another day. hmmm... yeah no brainer. guy is getting the taser.

I do agree that cops use more force then necessary from time to time. just like some pitbulls kill babies. doesnt mean they are all bad just because they used a taser.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I'm actually moreso in support of the police on this one... The guy's life is more valuable than whatever possessions he may have. If they'd let him endanger himself, it'd essentially be like watching someone potentially commit suicide.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

So what's wrong with that? You can't kill yourself if you want to? I guess taking that tax revenue away from the government would be a tragic thing.

Sanctity of life is one thing. A good thing. When it interferes with personal liberty it becomes a completely different thing. A bad thing. His life, his option to forfeit it for a couple of snakes.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfenz

Since when is it illegal for a guy to walk up to a lake? That video is pretty crazy and I would do the same if it were my dogs.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DONNYxMC

Is the possibility that someone might sue you worth more than a life?

Is any amount of money worth more than freedom?

What price do you personally place on that freedom? And what happens when the desire to stay out of a potential lawsuit becomes an acceptable reason for imprisonment? Torture? Killing?

What price liberty?

Mine has no price.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by trollz
I'm actually moreso in support of the police on this one... The guy's life is more valuable than whatever possessions he may have. If they'd let him endanger himself, it'd essentially be like watching someone potentially commit suicide.
That could be anyone you happen to see crossing the street, or driving down the highway. You don't know what might happen. So should the cops taze everyone getting in a car, to preemptively save their lives?

He may not have been injured at all.

We need more freedom from tazing.

edit on 8-9-2010 by butcherguy because: to add, DON'T TAZE ME, BRO!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soshh
reply to post by SaturnFX

I don't agree with the use of the taser, but then again I wasn't there. They tried three times to stop him. He could have been violent or threatening towards them, he could have been built like a brick lavatory and the taser was the safest way to subdue him for all concerned.

I don't think we should automatically assume that the officers were being unreasonable.

Yes we should automatically assume the officers were being unreasonable. A man has a right to defend his home, even at his own peril.

Once upon a time it was called bravery, now it is called illegal. keep giving up your liberties.

A fool is soon parted from his liberties, once he trusts the government knows better than him how to manage his affairs...

Jaden

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfenz

I can understand the passion of the man trying to save his dog, however these people are not very bright and a little over dramatic. the kid was the only one with any calm. I'd have to side with the officers on this one.
A guy trying to put out a fire like that, well that is just comical and delusional.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Yeah right..... OK heress the point.

If the cops let those ppl through to get their pets (weather it's their right or not), and those ppl burn to death, who has to go in there later and clean up the mess?

This isn't just for your safety, its for the benefit of everyone involved.

Here in AU, after a couple of hundred people died in the Black Saturday fired, the people who suffered the most and still do to this day, aren't the ones who died and no longer suffer.

Think about the poor kids fighting the fires, that had to go into Marysville and locate all the deceased people. Imagine ow their lives changed when they had to look at the charred remains of 80 people who took refuge in the local hall and died all hudled togeather trying to protect a baby at the center of the mass, or the people laying in the street who dodn't make it out, the people in their bathtubs, that had nowhere else to go....

Don't think for a second that this is all about you!!! IT IS NOT.

Adding more bodies to the mix isn't something the police and fire depts want to do. There are people trained to deal with fire, so let them do their job and don't get in the way.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

It becomes a Fire scene, with the Fire Chief in charge. If you have never been involved with a structure fire all I can say is they are very intense. A lot of heat is put out. The other things to keep in mind is gas lines, electrical box / breakers inside the home, in addition to any exterior issues (Transformer, electrical lines, gas lines, propane tanks, cars, paint, gas, etc) all have the potential to explode at any given time.

While I understand the thought behind people should be able to do what they want at their house. In most cases the moment 911 is called, you pretty lost that ability. It would be one thing if it were a controlled burn and the FD was properly notified (that happens a lot where I live). When the fire is uncontrolled though many other issues come up (in addition to what I explained, you also have to take into account proximity of neighbors / houses as well as any type of forest or combustible material (dry grass etc). Having a fire go unchecked where it could easily spread is not a smart thing to do.

Having the homeowner "interfere" with the operations of the Fire Department is a nono in most cases, and is one of the few areas where the Fire DEpartment (namely Fire Marshall or Chief) can take peope into custody / file charges for it.

I have worked a DWI accident where the father showed up on scene (the drunk driver was mid 30's btw so not sure why dad showed up). He ignored all verbal commands to leave the scene while I did my investigation and the Fire Department tried to clear the debris / vehicle from the road (State Highway). I had to pull my Taser and push the guy out of the scene. He eventually got the point, but it was after I arrested him for failing to obey a lawful command and obstruction.

My advice when seeing stories like his is to at least make an attempt to understand the law and the purpose of first responders (medical, Fire, Police) before passing judgment on their actions.

In this case a House Fire becomes a danger to public safety (ability to spread, toxic smoke from stuff burning etc). It is very easy to sucumb to smoke inhalation.

just my 2 cents.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ironclad

If it's "their job" tp taze people trying to save their pets and that's a perfectly acceptable excuse why isnt it "their job" to clean up charred corpses? They signed up for it. You can't be a firefighter, cop or paramedic and not expect see guts smeared on the street or smoldering neighbors under wet rubble.

Not a viable excuse and certainly doesnt trump personal liberty.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

just grabbing the guy you would all be yelling police brutality .

Torture by electrocution with 50,000 volts is also police brutality
..........................................................................................

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by Ironclad

If it's "their job" tp taze people trying to save their pets and that's a perfectly acceptable excuse why isnt it "their job" to clean up charred corpses? They signed up for it. You can't be a firefighter, cop or paramedic and not expect see guts smeared on the street or smoldering neighbors under wet rubble.

Not a viable excuse and certainly doesnt trump personal liberty.

When you have a corpse it actually falls to the ME / Coroner here in the states. We cant touch the body until they arrive on scene and do their thing. Coroners are the only people who can arrest the Sheriff, so I dont think I would want to be in a pissing contest with them.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Did they have to act? YES
Did they have to Taze? NO!

Only time when a tazer should be on an unarmed person is if the police officer is an elderly woman in her 80s.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by soleprobe

just grabbing the guy you would all be yelling police brutality .

Torture by electrocution with 50,000 volts is also police brutality
..........................................................................................

Its not electrocution, nor is it police brutality when used correctly. Please learn what the tool does before commenting on it. It transmits on the same brain frequency that controls motor function. It overrides the signal, causing the muscles to expand/contract. Once the cycle ends there is no side effects from it.

The 50k volts has nothing to do with anything. The amps is what can kill you.

edit on 8-9-2010 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join