It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran needs to heed IAEA demands- Russia foreign min

page: 1/
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Iran needs to heed IAEA demands- Russia foreign min

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Tuesday that Iran needs to answer the demands of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) over its nuclear programme.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Short but sweet article. I'll report more as it becomes available.

Well it seems that now the Russians themselves [who have been working closely with the Iranians and have helped bring a plant online] are also starting to get a bit edgy.

Is this a split in Iranian/Russian relations or just smoke and mirrors for public opinion consumption?

Interesting development. It should be watched IMO.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Interesting perspective from Russia Today.

A UN inspection report, published by the International Atomic Energy Agency, says Iran is continuing to stockpile enriched uranium. The report states Tehran's already accumulated around 3 tons of nuclear fuel - enough for 3 atomic bombs if it's refined further. Igor Kokhlov from the Institute of World Economy in Moscow explained why toughened international sanctions against Iran have proven ineffective.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That's got to be one of the shortest articles I have ever read! You can't really take much from the few words written there other than Russia saying Iran needs to comply with the IAEA.

It isn't suggesting anything other than compliance on Iran's part. What else would Russia say at a news conference?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

I agree. But..

Why release a statement at all?
There does seem to be something afoot.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I would say, that little "plugs" like this are kind of like the old "Gorilla Marketing" ploy. Keep taking out small unobtrusive classified adds, directing people to what you sell. Repeated, hardly noticable, re-steering of public sentiment...until such a time as the target audience accepts the new view subliminaly over time.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowfoot

Exactly...
Just like how Ahmadinejad, Fidel Castro and others release press releases on a regular bases and accuse the US/West-Israel of an eminent attack on Iran.

Over time people will start to believe it's true.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I found this follow up. Russian News source...

Reexamining aye?

Iran Six may rethink proposals on Tehran's nuclear program - Lavrov

"We have been maintaining contacts with the Iranian side on the basis of the position of the Iran Six, which was agreed on three years ago, but it would, most likely, not hurt to reexamine this document as part of preparations for restarting talks, to see to what extent it, in all its parts, accurately reflects the essence of the current situation," Lavrov told journalists.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
IMHO It can only be one of two things..........either they are riding both sides of the fence.......because lately they have been aiding Israel a bit.......

Or they are starting to see the frothing of the mouth of the Iranian powers that be,and are rethinking their decisions as perhaps , not once as sound as they thought......

Kind of like how as a kid you did something and then soon after realized it was not such a great idea......

I think they fed the bear in this case (iran) and now the bear is raiding their trash bin and kitchen, and they are starting to see a monster that they didnt see before.........

Or i could be totally off base, in which case.........ill just put on a funny hat and dance.......

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I do not think that the Iranian Hardliners care what the rest of the world has to say about it. They want nukes and they are going to do everything they can to get them. Nukes or bust. I find it interesting that Russia is weighing in on the issue but I cannot imagine it going any farther than them saying "hey maybe you should listen about not building a nuke....or not."

At the same time I do not understand why they should not be allowed to possess Nukes. Everybody else has them.

United States
Russia
United Kingdom
France
China
India
Pakistan
North Korea
Israel
Belgium
Italy
Germany
Netherlands
Turkey
Canada
Greece
South Africa supposedly got rid of it's nukes (yeah right)
Kazakhstan has like 1500 nukes lol
Ukraine
Belarus

Just give them a few nukes and stop worrying about it. Maybe we can get rid of all the trade embargo's if they get a few nukes. They are smart enough to understand the concept of M.A.D. They want to join the staring contest, let them. Give em nukes and let's move on.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Well it seems that now the Russians themselves [who have been working closely with the Iranians and have helped bring a plant online] are also starting to get a bit edgy.

I wonder is iran going to pay it’s powerplant invoices from russia? Could it be that is why the russians are bit edgy

HM

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by idonotcollectstamps

It's not like any of the countries you have listed are role models to the rest of the world. When you look at a list like this, you really begin to wonder what all the fuss is about?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

I think Iran wants to be a player in the Middle Eastern game. I do not blame them. They want a seat at the table and are going to "get nukes or die tryin".

Unless Russia puts some SERIOUS pressure on them in the way of threats there is not going to be any result from a stern warning and a slap on the wrist. If Israel preemptive strikes Iran I have a bad feeling that it would not be passed over like when Israel bombed Iraq's Nuke Building attempt back in the 81.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

hmmm, that is a bit odd dont ya think? Maybe its a case of Russia trying to save face? Lets help them build a nuke plant, but just incase lets go ahead and talk down to them in the media.... Yep sounds about right.. Oh and Welcome Back Slayer.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
History repeats itself. Never EVER trust what the Russians say.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I have to agree with other posters that Russia is playing both sides. Kinda strange how Russia voted for tougher sanctions, but their foreign minister had this to say.

The Russian Foreign Ministry warned on Wednesday of retaliatory measures if new sanctions against Iran affected Russian companies or individuals.

en.rian.ru...

Meanwhile from the IAEA website.

"While the Agency continues to verify the non-diversion of declared nuclear material in Iran, Iran has not provided the necessary cooperation to permit the Agency to confirm that all nuclear material in Iran is in peaceful activities.

www.iaea.org...

Many more reports available on the IAEA website.

www.iaea.org...

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by idonotcollectstamps

Israel has nukes???

Sheesh, I've never seen an IAEA report about that...

Do you have a link???

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I'm giving this thread a shameless bump, then off into the abyss it goes.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Even if Iran was making nuclear weapons, how would they transport them to Israel? Our fleets and military bases are in position to shoot down any missile or aircraft carrying the warhead towards us or Israel, and if they did somehow manage to bomb Israel they would kill a whole lot of Palestinians and Muslims too. They aren't that evil and ruthless.

I don’t think Iran would ever make the first strike to start a war with Israel or the U.S. because they know they would lose in the long run. All this talk about Iran having nuclear weapons is for our protection when we finally decide to attack them. We are afraid of when we back their regime into a corner and their only way out is to push the little red nuclear button. We don’t want them to get nukes because we want Iran’s resources and have never invaded a country with nuclear weapons. We can't attack if they have nukes. If we attack them and take half their country and they have nukes, you can bet your butt that they will use them on our troops.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
imo it is what was said above, the media is dropping little hints to the public here and there and when they really throw it in the public eye that "iran has nuclear weapons" we will have already bien brainwashed to bileve everything they say about it! again prob sparking off another war!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join