It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Rope-a-Dope on Labor Day?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Yesterday, as people where barbecuing and using their government unemployment checks to pay for it, the President appeared smack dab in the middle of blue-collar America and its former industrial engine to shoot the breeze. It is now filled with decaying cities and abandoned factories. He highlighted yet another spending spree in the form of a infrastructure renewal plan. It seems more like boxer, Muhammed Ali's, Rope-a-Dope on the American voter and taxpayer by our President?

This portion of the speech is very intriguing! Sounds very arrogant and akin to other leaders of the past who had the gift of gab and a defiant nature to boot. Things ended badly with them.

I am sorry Mr. President, but I am not buying this latest pipe dream of yours! Where is he and the government going to get another 50 billion dollars for this latest foray into spending oblivion? Oh yeah, I bet China would be more than happy to assist in digging our hole even deeper. When is he going to realize that throwing money into thin-air is not going to spurn the economy or create jobs.

We had that huge Stimulus Bill that was supposed to do the very thing in which he is talking about now. What happened the 700 billion, I mean 1.2 trillion by some estimates for infrastructure construction and job growth? That is a heck of a lot of money! Perhaps it is time for President Obama to shake-up his advisory team? Throwing money at a problem doesn't solve anything, but leads to empty pockets!

One thing I found peculiar from the article cited below and it is the year in which these jobs are slated to appear.

Officials acknowledged, however, that the first jobs wouldn't be created until 2011.

abcnews.go.com...

How convenient 2011 is for the President if he can pull it off and bamboozle the American people and the legislature. That is a year before election time. This seems more like political smoking mirrors and a maneuver to stack the deck for the upcoming Presidential Elections in 2012? It seems like an appeasement play, because I think the President knows that if things persist as they are; he may very well find himself a lame duck come November and for the second half of his term. So, he will say anything to take some of the heat off of him, because he has been in the wringer for sometime now.

But the latest CNN/Opinion Research Corporation Poll suggests the American people are still just not feeling any sort of recovery. When asked about economic conditions today, 81 percent said the conditions are "poor" while only 18 percent said they're "good" at this point.

www.cnn.com...

The economy is in the tank and people remain out of work. Then, major corporations are sitting on an estimated trillion dollars amid concerns over the tax storm that is schedule to occur on January 1st.

Nonfinancial companies are sitting on $1.8 trillion in cash, roughly one-quarter more than at the beginning of the recession.

www.washingtonpost.com...

So, apparently, there is a chilling affect going on in Corporate America? They are not investing or hiring new employees! Note the article cited above is from July, but it is still important; because the economy is still in shambles or the President wouldn't be groveling at the podium on Labor Day. I wonder what these non-financial companies are going to do after January 1st? Hmmm? Perhaps, use that money for more off-shoring in this world of globalization we have before us? In other words, use that money and get the hell out of dodge! Move to a country where the business climate is more welcoming. It may happen as American workers continue to flood unemployment offices around the nation, and scurry for a spot at the government feeding trough.

I would not put much stock in this latest endeavor by the President. It seems like a desperation play to me. His pleasure boat is taking on water and he knows it. To add a little more perspective on how bad things are for the President, his own home state is losing trust and confidence.

Enthusiasm for Barack Obama's presidency in his home state has cooled as Illinois voters have grown increasingly uneasy over stewardship of the sputtering economy, a new Tribune/WGN-TV poll has found.

A majority of the 600 Illinois registered voters surveyed still gave a positive review to Obama's performance as president — but it is barely a majority. In all, 51 percent said they approved of the job he has done as president while 39 percent disapproved.

mobile.chicagotribune.com...

So, with the storm clouds looming above him and the economy descending further into inevitable chaos; we must take everything being said with a grain of salt. These are desperate times for him politically and he will say anything in hopes it will stick. I am very skeptical by this infrastructure renewal program, as we all should be. Does infrastructure need to be refurbished?

Bridge collapse in Minneapolis

Levees breached during Hurricane Katrina

The Blackout of 2003

Yes, but how is it going to be payed for and by whom? How hard is it to tighten the purse strings and actually reign in spending? The government has gotten bigger, and he is planning on making it larger each time he opens his mouth. The only thing we can do is save ourselves through the ingenuity and resourcefulness people of this country have been known for, not by some benevolent behemoth with a lust for cash and control in the form of government. It was once said in antiquity

. . ."I fear the Greeks even [when they are] bringing gifts", Aeneid II.49

en.wikipedia.org...

Perhaps, that phrase of old holds weight with the current predicament before us? The hole is being dug deeper, and is practically on the scale of the China Syndrome. The deficit will soon surpass the GDP, and with that, we will experience an economic meltdown of epic proportions. Can't throw money at a dead horse!

[edit on 7-9-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
It might help to get out of Iraq and Afghanistan and kill the stranglehold the Military Industrial Complex has over your country too. Perhaps the peace prize winner could pen that into his diary? How much is this stupid war costing you guys each day?

IRM

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
About half of what the two stimulus packages have cost us so far....

War is never ultimately about finances.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by tovenar]

join