It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So what happpens to you if/when Abrahamic faiths are proven to be true?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Well, first of all.. you can't have all the three religions to become true, because then you would have 2 allmighty gods.... at the same time...

Let's say if either christianity or the islam would be for real... then God or Allah would allready be among us.. and the heaven would have been returned on earth.

Sounds great to me, but I think that there would be no religion anymore.. because religion is all about believing things you can't see, and if God would be wandering around through your streets then you don't have to believe no more.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I usually avoid threads like this, but what the hey.

If any Abrahamic religion were true, then time travel, or any other method of proving it, would be impossible.

THE VERY NATURE OF ABRAHAMIC RELIGIONS IS THAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE WITHOUT EVIDENCE.

That's the big difference between deliverance and damnation, well, that and damnation is an acoustic album. Blind belief saves you. Being unable to believe due to lack of evidence damns you. That is the MAIN MESSAGE.

BRAINWASHING!!!!

Jesus Christ I've had enough of this subject.

See my sig

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I'd remain atheist and not really care about the whole thing. Other than holy crap time machine where can I get one.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
It would prove God doesn't give a hoot about us now. He had his and his angel's noses up in everyone's business back in the day. He brought fire and brimstone upon unbelievers and heathens. But now? Not a peep. He even lets people who say they are his followers do things completely against his own wishes. He let's good people suffer and greedy mo fo's rule the world.

More importantly it would mean that Jesus is real and that we are all *snip* compared to him in terms of benevolence. It would mean that a lot of Christians have some splainin' to do. It would mean that, while I am not a Christian nor do I believe in religion, I have done a pretty good job at following his teachings, not because I'm afraid to go to Hell (I don't believe there is one), but because they are simply the right thing to do and make total sense.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by css1981

What do you mean 2 gods? Christianity, Judaism, and Islam all have the same god they just worship him in different ways, have different names for him (God, Yaweh/Jehovah, Allah) and have their own dogma.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
any ideology that claims it is the ONLY true one (which seems to be a precondition in most of the Abrahamic creeds) cannot be an Absolute Truth. in fact, very little of what we humans can fabricate can be such a thing.

the Truth is far too vast. far too intricate. far too simple for us to claim.

sure, we got pockets of insight, wisdom, knowledge, skills, etc. that put us closer to an Infinite Source. not bad for such a naive, headstrong and belligerent species.

but if any of us claim we've got the End All Be All on our fingertips, that's the first sign to walk the other way.

Sooo.... if a supreme being said that just one of these Faiths was correct, the rest incorrect, i would call this supreme being's bluff.

However... if this supreme being said, "yup, there's some truth in everything and everyone, even amongst them warring sons of Abraham."

well now, that makes a spot of sense.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Sunsetspawn

You're wrong. Some people who believe don't believe because of upbringing but because of religious experience that makes them believe. If you have a religious experience you have proof enough for yourself and not for anyone else. If you have personal evidence, how can it be blind faith? Blind faith is when you believe without having anything to tell you it's true.

WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE TROUBLE JUST ANSWERING THE QUESTION?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Personal experience does not prove anything, it doesn't make your faith any more accurate than it was before it happened.

Plus it depends what your initial religion is, If you believe in Allah, you'll probably have a personal experience of Muhammed or maybe even Allah talking to you, or if you're a Satan, maybe you'll hear Satan talk to you.

It makes no difference, personal experience doesn't prove anything, it just shows people are relating that personal experience to their own religion, they WANT to make it fit, they want some reason for having a belief with out evidence.

If they can use the theory of "Personal Experiences" that will hide the true lack of evidence to warrant such absurd beliefs.

Sure believe in a Creator, just don't claim Man knows exactly what he wants just because man wrote a few books.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
The same thing that would've happened to me if they weren't proven, I'll die eventually and see for myself when I get there. Ah proof, that funny little thing, cuz all those scenarios you mentioned were not undeniable proof at all. OK maybe we saw some crazy fiery thing come out of the sky, how do we know it's not an alien, or a god completely different than what they described to us? They described a red honda civic to us, but it was actually a red honda prelude. So, if it's not EXACTLY what they described to us, then it's not really proof. It's proof of something, but not neccessarily what they claimed.

As far as God talking to me, I might get an MRI first LOL.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

No, I was an atheist before my experience. I believed in no God, but I had an experience that was Christian in nature after asking God for some shred of proof to hold onto. And I'm not from a society or culture nor was raised to even consider Christianity a truth. It sounded like a fairy tale to me.

I am as sure that Jesus did get crucified as sure as I am that you're real person and not a figure of my imagination. If I wanted to be a psuedoskeptic I could even deny your existence if I wanted to. Who cares what the rest of the world says is true blindly if you have experience to tell you otherwise? Only a fool asks for something, then gets what he asked for and still denies it. It wasn't those experiences that could be interpreted as anything you want either. It was quite specific.

I don't need proof for anybody else, just for myself, and I got it. To say I didn't get proof is stupid because you didn't know what I asked for nor did you experience what I received. I can't prove it to other people but I am convinced after receiving personal proof, as are many others whose experiences are ignored. Personal experience is subjective proof, the type of proof you can't show to other people, but nevertheless is proof enough for yourself.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
God, to me, is time, matter, the synchronized universe and another word for I don't know. So, if the story book is indeed the script of all time and the end of the universe is indeed pages away, god(I don't know) help us?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

I never denied you of your right to believe your experience was true to you, i'm merely stating it's not proof. The same way i have the same experience might lead to me believing i'm having a delusion, like you said, it's subjective.

All i'm saying is if i had the same experience, i'd need definitive proof that because of that experience it proved there was a God, or proved that Christianity was the best representation of God (how could this be possible anyway, maybe Allah is the true doctrine to believe) but to me, he'd have to speak to me, and confirm the things that has been stated in the bible. (even then i could be deluded and talking to myself)

It's just as credible as an atheist having an experience that proves to him there is no God, he could never make that claim.

Anyway, your one of the few, the minority who have alledgely had this "devine" experience which proved to themselves there was a God, just because one person believes something down to his own experience doesn't make it the truth, it certainly may seem true to him.

edit on 10/9/10 by awake_and_aware because: double word deleted

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

Glad we could agree. You can't prove to others using personal experiences that you had, but you can have enough evidence to convince yourself something is true.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Yes we agree. Still doesn't make it the truth. I'm sure people convince themselves otherwise though. And when it comes to personal experiences people tend to choose the one they like the best, despite that experience not being conviction of the truth but but merely a perception of the experiencer.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Doesn't make it not the truth either. We'll just have to die and find out.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I can conclusively confirm, that you cannot prove Abrahamic religions validity because it is impossible, the main three mono-theistic doctrines have MAJOR differences. But that's religion for you, pick and choose which story you want you want to believe without evidence.

If someone proved the existence of a higher power being/entity, i would applaud them, rejoice at been witness to the truth, i would cease to be an atheist, as empirical irrefutable evidence would have been presented to me. I'd have to be arrogant and ignorantly proud to still deny God's existence.

Here's a few arguments currently that i have seen people use to support their argument in favour of God's existence, watch out for them:-

# ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL SANITY
(1) I've had religious experiences that can't be explained unless I'm insane or God exists.
(2) Therefore, God exists.

# ARGUMENT FROM INSTITUTIONAL LONGETIVITY
(1) The Roman Catholic Church has been around for a long time.
(2) Therefore, God exists.

# ARGUMENT FROM INEVITABILITY
(1) I have proof that God exists.
(2) I won't bother to tell you what it is because, being atheists, you would be hostile to the conclusion anyway.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

# ARGUMENT FROM "THE MATRIX"
(1) We cannot prove that we don't live in a Matrix-like world.
(2) Therefore we cannot know reality.
(3) If reality is contingent, then everything is possible.
(4) Therefore, God exists.

# ARGUMENT FROM SUBJECTIVITY
(1) Everything is subjective.
(2) No subjective proof can be superior to any other subjective proof.
(3) Based upon my subjective opinion, your opinion, that if everything is subjective then, perforce, God is subjective, is false.
(4) Therefore, God (objectively) exists.

# ARGUMENT FROM POSTMODERNISM
(1) I'm going to prove to you that God exists.
(2) [Insert any of the other arguments on this page in here.]
(3) [Atheist refutes argument.]
(4) I cannot prove there is a God any more than anyone of us can prove we really exist in a tangible world.
(5) Therefore, God exists.

# META-PROOF
(1) This is a proof of God's existence.
(2) If the reader finishes reading this proof, the existence of God will be proven to him/her.
(3) If the existence of God is proven, then God exists.

# PROOF BY ANECDOTE
(1) God can be seen by those who believe in Him.
(2) If the God is seen, then He must exist.
(3) I have seen God.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
This thread is about if it was proven, dude. Not to prove them, but asking what you would do if they were proven to you. Maybe not proven to anybody else, but just to you.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Sounds to me like you accepted Pascal's Wager.

I mean what have you got to lose? It might be true so just believe it anyway......On the other hand, It might be true that Islam is the correct form of worship, in which case you're going to roast in the mighty and merciful Allah's eternal hell if you hate pork

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

again,

I can conclusively confirm, that you cannot prove Abrahamic religions validity because it is impossible, the main three mono-theistic doctrines have MAJOR differences,

In otherwords OBJECTIVE evidence of God would only satisfy one of the religions, or none if man has just made them up, i guess he has though because who could know God.

I guess you do 547000 due to your experience, what was he or IT like? See, I'm interested.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I won't be going to Hell if God is truly merciful though. I asked for proof and wouldn't believe it until I got that proof. That means, what I got, God knows as well as I know. What I got was an experience that pointed me to a specific faith and not a general faith. If God is merciful I can give that excuse at judgment, and He would know that's the truth. People who believe in something without any reason to cannot give that same excuse. People who have not sought Him cannot give that same excuse. So it's not exactly Pascal's Wager, it's a much, much better hand in the game than that.

But that's besides the point. That's not what this thread is about.

The restate in another way: If for some reason you now had proof that God exists and it has to be one of these three religions, what would become of you?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join