It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama in Infrastructure Push

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Obama in Infrastructure Push

online.wsj.com

President Barack Obama proposed spending $50 billion next year on highways, airport and railway construction, the latest attempt to boost the economy, although the White House message on the speed of the impact was mixed and the plan ran into immediate opposition from Republican lawmakers.

At a Labor Day rally in Milwaukee, Mr. Obama said the initaitive would be part of a larger effort to fix 150,000 miles of roads, lay or rebuild 4,000 miles of railroad track and refurbish some 150 miles of
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   

President Barack Obama on Monday after speaking in Milwaukee about his plan for construction spending. Republicans condemned the proposal.

I wish every sane American would not believe a word this globalist elite puppet is saying, because he would be doing nothing to improve the quality of American infrastructure, because his administration, like many previous administrations have a history of incompetence, because it is done by design.

Take a good look around your city. Do you want it to rot out like Detroit?

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
What happened to the last stimulus for all those "shovel ready" jobs?

Another line.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by wutone

I have to agree with wutone, what was the first stimulus for?

Oh wait, that was for boiler room Cass Sunstein beyboard warrior operations, millions of signs pointing out the union payoff work, corporate payouts, stock market manipulation cash, and numerous other transparent work.

Yep, the initial stimulus that saved what, 68 billion jobs, wasn't enough.

Saul Alinsky would be so proud!

Hey I have an idea, why not just create 25 million more government jobs, that will help the economy. They can just sit at home and do nothing for their work. That will help us pull out of the depression. Maybe give them a pension plan, health care and numerous other percs.

C'mon, you being such a treasure trove of economic knowledge Mr Obama, you must know how to get us out of the depression. You have all those academicians working for you. You know the ones that have never run any businesses, only lectured on economics and business models. They, I am sure, are like the smartest eva.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
geezus
just one bad decision after another.

Hey Obama, here's ya a hint !!!!

GIVE IT DIRECTLY TO THE PEOPLE
SO THEY CAN GET OUT OF DEBT
OR START THEIR OWN BUSINESS !!!!

Don't give it to the already existing
corrupt corporations who's gonna
pass it along to stockholder's wallets.
Put it in real American's wallets.
You're giving it to the WRONG PEOPLE
to do us any good.

Not even counting the fact that by fostering
infrastructure growth you are essentially
helping illegal immigrants more than legal
Americans. Those jobs will be contracted out
to contractors who will hire illegals instead
of the unemployed. You need to get your head
out of ur arse.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
geezus
just one bad decision after another.

Hey Obama, here's ya a hint !!!!

GIVE IT DIRECTLY TO THE PEOPLE
SO THEY CAN GET OUT OF DEBT
OR START THEIR OWN BUSINESS !!!!

Don't give it to the already existing
corrupt corporations who's gonna
pass it along to stockholder's wallets.
Put it in real American's wallets.
You're giving it to the WRONG PEOPLE
to do us any good.

Well considering that his is a communist wouldn't such a thing enrage our good real american friends?

I agree with you, Bush should have given the bailouts to anyone holding debt with the
companies we bailed out. Obama should do the same -

Further more once those Bush tax cut expire, he should transfer the exact same
in cuts to the middle class, just as the wealthy were targeted previous.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Rather than giving inefficient, corrupt, big government, pig contracts the whole time, why not just give small businesses (the ones that employ the most, and struggle the most) more tax breaks?

Oh is that too much like capitalism, and Obama seeks a corrupt Social sector, like Republicans seek a corrupt Military Industrial Complex?

I’d say: Do something others can follow this election, vote for any party that can’t win, but should.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

Construction isnt that Halliburton,Kellogg Brown and Root,Bechtel etc dont all these outfits still owe us for billions of dollars of infrastructure in Iraq?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by anglodemonicmatrix
Construction isnt that Halliburton,Kellogg Brown and Root,Bechtel etc dont all these outfits still owe us for billions of dollars of infrastructure in Iraq?

good luck on collecting that
hahahaha

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I see two lane roads in Jerkwater Arkansas costing $10 000 000 per mile,very tricky and expensive stuff this infrastructure.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by anglodemonicmatrix

I see two lane roads in Jerkwater Arkansas costing $10 000 000 per mile,very tricky and expensive stuff this infrastructure.

Hey, thats the good news!!!

Cause then Obama will probably sell them off to the same companies he paid ridiculous amounts to build them, for a fraction of the cost,
and they will turn them into Toll Roads and charge you every time you drive on them...

Thats, Change you can believe in..

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Despite what any of you may think about Obama personally, this is quite a good plan to relieve the economy somewhat.

Infrastructure projects will boost the economy...plus you get the nice shiney new infrastructure as a bonus.

Massive government building projects have historically been good for an economy. Hopefully, while it won't 'fix' it, it'll do a bit of good for the US economy.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Are people really against this? The transport infrastructure in North America is critically outdated - a bridge collapsed in Quebec not so long ago. The highways and railways have not been given adequate expansions in years, and what little exists now is decaying, to boot. The economy needs more and better transportation in order to thrive, and it is certainly better to repair a bridge than let it collapse and blame THAT on the President.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I would personally like to thank our great-great grandchildren for volunteering to pay for our beautiful new infrastructure projects.

Relinquishing debt to the unborn is such a liberating feeling. They don't even need to exist yet for me to feed on the sweet sweet fruit of their spectral labor.

After all, we have the right to free road-care. It's in the constatooshion somewhere. Ah! here it is. Article 3, section 5:

"Vote for me. I'll use my office to take another American's money and give it to you."

I think Jefferson said that.

And I did my part. I vote for the politicians who promise me the most goodies. Even better if those goodies come at someone else's expense. Those are the best kind of goodies.

No wonder capitalism is dead. This works so much better! God bless legalized theft! God bless the children! God bless America!

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

I would personally like to thank our great-great grandchildren for volunteering to pay for our beautiful new infrastructure projects.

What are you smoking???

They will be still paying just the interest charged on the banker bailouts.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
We need to do this. The trick is to get this past our creditors. That's probably why he said it would be fully paid for by an "infrastructure bank". I'm not sure how that would work but interested to find out.

When I was a kid much of our infrastructure was built. It's still the same now. Many bridges need to be rebuilt, there's a major bridge near me that they keep patching and patching, I hope finally it will be rebuilt now.

$50 billion is not near enough. For example they're only going to repair 4000 miles of railroads. I'm sure there is much more than that needing repair. Paul Krugman things stimulus should be on the order of 1 or 2 trillion.

What about all the debt? Well the fact is, the dollar is going to have to decrease in value. Otherwise we cannot even pay existing debts. Rather than cut Social Security, inflate the dollar. That will effectively cut social security but it will also devalue the Treasury bonds held largely by foreign creditors. In other words, spread the pain around.

I've heard a rumor that China (yes China) is going to "print" massive amounts of money now. It's still just a rumor. But China has to keep their people employed too. All countries need inflation to reduce debts and force people to spend. Otherwise there is no recovery. We need inflation!

And we do need to manufacture. We can't go on being "post-industrial" forever. That's nonsense. It doesn't work. If we import, we have to export, otherwise we cannot pay for what we import. Manufacturing doesn't just bring low skill jobs. These days it brings a lot of high skill jobs: CNC programmers (the new version of machinists), technicians, engineers. We can't just all sell each other services and cheeseburgers.

There should be a provision to ensure the workers on these projects are legally entitled to work here, preferably permanent residents or citizens. Maybe we can get that. After all, only citizens can vote. And I think the Dems are giving up for now on "comprehensive immigration reform". (For now they're going to push for the DREAM Act, which is also a bad idea because it is likely to give school admission preferences and discounted tuition to the children of illegal immigrants. Barbara Boxer and her Repub. challenger Carly Fiorina have both agreed to support that.)

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by spikey

Despite what any of you may think about Obama personally, this is quite a good plan to relieve the economy somewhat.

Especially if that economies name is Warren Buffet. Who will be getting the lions share of this money.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by belial259

Originally posted by spikey

Especially if that economies name is Warren Buffet. Who will be getting the lions share of this money.

Yes they (Berkshire Hathaway) do own a railroad now don't they? But they're mostly an insurance company are they not?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalM
What are you smoking???

Soma, Buddy! A gramme is better than a damn.

Originally posted by oniongrass
We need to do this. The trick is to get this past our creditors.

They're on board, not a problem. Like taking candy from a baby

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by oniongrass

if we need inflation, then we need higher wages!!! that's just the way it is, otherwise, more of those low wage earners are gonna end up being wards of the state, which, will just increase our government's need for more tax revenue!!!

I"m still waiting to see some of that money that was already spent on infrastructure get put to use....haven't seen much being done in my neck of the woods...
as much as we need it, I ain't holding my breath for it....
we've needed it for decades, and there better times to take it on...instead dear congress decided to spend the money on better things......like bridges to no where.....and the like.
I think the last drop of faith in my government has evaporated from my being......

ya, we need inflation...like we need a hole in the head!!! it will make the economic reports look so much better if we are spending five bucks for a loaf of bread, six for a gallon of milk!! ya!! consumer spending is up!!! of course, ain't none of us buying anything we haven't been buying all along, matter of fact, we are buying less.....we're just paying two or three times more for it!!!

you can have your inflation just as soon as I get a three dollar raise to help me keep up with lastfew years of inflation!!!

congress needs to quit bringing home the bacon to their districts!!!
either that or get second jobs and pay for that bacon themselves!

[edit on 7-9-2010 by dawnstar]

[edit on 7-9-2010 by dawnstar]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join