It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coles supermarkets upset with cows implanted with hormone growth pill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Coles supermarkets upset with cows implanted with hormone growth pill

www. heraldsun.com.au

TOUGHER beef is routinely dished up at dinner tables because cattle are being pumped with hormones, supermarket giant Coles says.

Half the steaks, burgers and other cuts sold to red meat lovers around the country are produced from animals implanted with a hormone growth pill to speed muscle development.

Coles will become the first major national food retailer to refuse beef from farmers that use the pills by early next year. It claims quality is compromised by the stimulant.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.smh.com.au
www.weeklytimesnow.com.au

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Australians like me are meat lovers, especially our classic favorite, which is beef, and we do not want our beef filled with hormone growth stimulant.

For American ATS'ers, it's a similar, yet worse fate in your country, where as much non-organic food is modified genetically or filled with hormones.

Why are the globalist elite lacing our food, especially our meat with these hormones? Aren't they bad for our bodies?

What do you think?

www. heraldsun.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
what is so appalling about this article is
the fact that the FDA should be making
this announcement instead of a
supermarket chain.

But of course the FDA doesn't work
for the people any more unless it is
stopping a foreign made paint that
has Chinese lead in it.

Lemme guess -- the Chinese didn't
bribe you like the American companies
did???

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
You are all so naive, I grew up on a very small farm (family owned) and even we used hormones in beef...it's been in practice for at least 20 years. They sell it at Co-op and you give them one shot in the ear, the "pill" is only about the size of a 10mg pill. Many small farms across the nation do it, mostly because beef is not very profitable. Restrictions on hormone because you perceive it as dangerous...and thus you want government to force farmers will only serve to hurt the small farmers.

If you don't want hormones in your beef buy organic, and even that I bet has hormones in it...because again, many beef farmers are not profitable.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by yellowcard]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by yellowcard
You are all so naive, I grew up on a very small farm (family owned) and even we used hormones in beef...it's been in practice for at least 20 years.

by whom???
My dad is a small farmer with beef.
He's been in it for 30 yrs and never
used a growth hormone.

It's not the lack of growth hormone that
causes farmers to go under on beef.
it is the price of grain or hay to feed them
has tripled and the price of beef to market
has remained the same for virtually 20 yrs.
The growth hormone is a scapegoat to cover
up lack of oversight in the feed/beef price
consistency. If feed goes up, then the price
of beef should follow, but it doesn't.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

You are all so naive, I grew up on a very small farm (family owned) and even we used hormones in beef...it's been in practice for at least 20 years.

by whom???
used a growth hormone.

It's not the lack of growth hormone that
causes farmers to go under on beef.
it is the price of grain or hay to feed them
has tripled and the price of beef to market
has remained the same for virtually 20 yrs.
The growth hormone is a scapegoat to cover
up lack of oversight in the feed/beef price
consistency. If feed goes up, then the price
of beef should follow, but it doesn't.

Alright, well let's just let the government take care of this. What could go wrong? Call up the FDA cut the yields of small farmers, put oversight in the beef market to prevent farmers from liquidating their cattle at market (which is why prices are low, currently diary farmers are liquidating cattle because milk doesn't yield enough). Wait, didn't we do that during the great depression, and people were rationing food as a result? By WHOM? Get real, they sell it at local Co-ops (it looks like a small gun), do you think it's just there for show? No one buys it? Not every farmer uses it, but a LOT of farmers do, a lot of small farmers. Most small farmers free roam their cattle, so feed costs aren't terribly high, but the cattle don't bring much at market...because people liquidate at market too consistently, and beef is reactionary to various prices from milk to corn so it fluctuates heavily...making it quite hard to "flip" cattle. Anyhow, shoving your agenda of no hormones down people's throats is total bull#, even if your father didn't use hormones he may have bought cattle that had hormones used on them and thus benefited from such. It is actually a growing trend among farmers, ask your father about it.

Like I said, if you don't want hormones, buy Organic...and considering those cattle are too bought on market, they might damn well have hormones in them; as if cows don't have hormones by nature.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by yellowcard]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

by whom???
used a growth hormone.

Well then, you've just proved
that no small farmers
use hormones.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

Hmm ...so is this the reason most farm girls look like farm boys?...joke...

I think this is the reason allot of young girls have menstrual problems at an early age.
You are what you eat after all.
Stop messing with nature and our bloody food...crickey I'm sick of this.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

Man this is a strong move for Coles, and a big win for consumers. I've been shopping there alot . And capitalism is working the way it should. Those shelves are turning organic.

They should do the same thing with the milk. After what deregulation and Woolworths did to our dairy farmers it would be great to give some of the local boys a hand and go back to drinking milk that was actually a health benefit.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whateva69
reply to post by yellowcard

Hmm ...so is this the reason most farm girls look like farm boys?...joke...

I think this is the reason allot of young girls have menstrual problems at an early age.
You are what you eat after all.
Stop messing with nature and our bloody food...crickey I'm sick of this.

You're right about this.

The growth hormone acts like watered-down testosterone, causing the farm girls to develop some masculine properties as they mature.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Taxation, taxation, taxation.

Sadly that's all it amounts to, paying an extra premium for real food versus artificial food.

There is a huge difference in the texture of not just beef but chicken also that are grown with these growth hormones, steroids and anti-biotics.

The Agro-Corporations are destroying the domesticated livestock supply and many of the wheat and vegetable crops, while monopolizing yet one more segment of the economy pushing out middle class independents.

Essentially they have created a tiered pricing structure for a natural product.

1. Crap for the poor and ignorant
2. Organic for the middle class and educated poor
3. Organic gourmet quality "Prime" for the rich, middle class, and the poor determined to live beyond their means.

Same exact cut of meat.

1. Crap = 7.95 - 10.00 a pound
2. Organic 11.00 - 14.00 a pound
3. Prime Organic 19.95 - 24.00 a pound

Now since the best prime organic is usually free range grass and grain fed, with no stimulants and anti-biotics how much more could grass cost as opposed to Pharmacutical Company Pills?

In all reality the Agro-Corporations might actually be spending more to actually poison us with the food they first poisoned, than it actually costs to raise them naturally.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Sometimes it's priced higher. Sometimes it's not. But even if I have to pay a premium for something, for instance Tassals Salmon, I don't care.

I know it's organic. I know it's low in mercury because it's much cleaner here than in the US and I know I'll be supporting Australia workers in exchange for paying a premium.

I consciously purchase items on that basis. Organic and locally produced. I buy stuff that doesn't have MSG or Gluten or Aspartame etc in it. And I think there are a lot of people doing the same thing where I live because the products are changing.

If more people start doing the same thing. The shops will have to adapt.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by belial259]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I was wondering what has been done to the meat sold in my local supermarket, Maxi Foods in UFTG. It's so tough it's not edible, even the chicken breast and turkey steaks (which I suspect are imported bleached buffalo,) and beef eye-fillet. And the pork tastes like it's been in a urinal. Even my cat won't eat their meat.

My little family is now vegetarian on the days we can't get meat from elsewhere.

It's sad when the scummy bastards buy/sell the absolute cheapest of everything, regardless of quality. It leaves them losing customers, losing profits, and they respond by getting in even cheaper, crappier produce.

top topics

join