It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creating a More Patriotic Australia.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 04:32 AM
link   
www.news.com.au...

Schools forced to fly the flag

"ALL Australian schools will be forced to have a functioning flagpole that will fly the national flag as part of education reforms unveiled this afternoon.

Mr Howard said that while he would support the singing of the national anthem in schools every morning, would not be a requirement of the legislation."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creating a more Patriotic Australia. What s the reasoning behind this? For the good of Australia? Or for the good of the politicians to use patriotism in future generations and future years, to get us Australians to do something, and bend us and our will, to meet theirs?

Such as not supporting the war on Terrorism ,or against wars, being called anti-patriotic, Telling is what is best for the country during speaches, etc. Such as what has been happening in America...

Anyways....

[edit on 22-6-2004 by DaRAGE]

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I think this is a good thing. There is nothing wrong with Patriotism, i feel that this would be a good thing for Australia.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 05:29 AM
link   
To be honest with you, I think that there is no shortage of national identity in Australia, I'm sure any Oz member on ATS would agree. Isn't there a large amount of racism in Australia? Why more nationalism, there has to be a political reason.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Im searching google to see if i can find any more about this, no luck yet.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Man, Howard has been pulling alot of Bushwhacking on you guys lately.

Trying to oust the Brits as most favored ally are ya?

What's the terror alert level like these days?

Mass media alertism or disco as usual? Murdoch running the show? I'm asking, I have no idea or preconceived notions.

[edit on 22-6-2004 by RANT]

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
You really should read this quote on war an patriotism AND READ WHO IT IS BY.

"Why of course the people don't want war ... But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship ... Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger." � Hermann Goering, Nazi leader, at the Nuremberg Trials after World War II

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Eddie999....that is exactly what i am talking about. The call for more patriotism ,and then a call for war. I smell a big war brewing in the future. It doesn't take a long time for a nation to become patriotic.

But aboutthe terrorism alert. No real terrorism alert, just lots of news stories, like on here, just about as much news here on terrorism as is inthe papers/news in AUstralia. Prolly more here though..;.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
To be perfectly honest, I believe Aus. is already patriotic enough.

I may not be from Aus., but I've been here long enough to realise that, at least.

The media in Australia isn't terrible in reporting events, but my main qualm is that the media focuses too much on "current affairs" or infotainment (or sh*t) as I like to call it - i.e. shows much like a tabloid rag.

So not differing greatly from many other countries.

EDIT: Didn't realise swearing was censored, hahaha.

[edit on 22/6/04 by Ouroboros]

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Thats'w what i dont get. We are already patriotic. But why is Howard getting these flag poles implemented in Schools, and if he really had his way, we'd be singing the Australian National Athem every morning (not like we didn't have to do it at my primary school anyways). It this something to get us all much more patriotic to be manipulated, or is it, jsut coz Johny Howard, the Prime inister of Australia is that Patriotic, loves his country, Australia, to death, and actually thinks its a great idea?

D

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
To be honest with you, I think that there is no shortage of national identity in Australia, I'm sure any Oz member on ATS would agree. Isn't there a large amount of racism in Australia? Why more nationalism, there has to be a political reason.

Depends where you are in Australia. I'm Chinese and even though I'm born and bred here in Australia i still can see bits of racism here and there. Not to say that everyone is, but its those one or two people who really # you and are racist because they're either scared of or don't understand people who are of different origins. , and if I go south of Wollongong, which is about 2 hours south of Sydney, you can see bits of racism coming out here and there. I was in a little southern town last summer holidays, got a few racist reamarks and plenty of stares. I've heard from many people that the northern Australia gets pretty bad, mainly in northern Queensland and the Northern Territory but thats what I've heard so I'm not too sure. Generally people here I find are not racist AT ALL. Majority of people don't care where you're from, but when someone from certain ethnic group commits a major crime or something the media here always seems to make a point of it. But then again, I wouldn't be suprised if that happened in other countries as well. However, I do love this country as I have grown up here and all the goods things easily outweigh all the negative things.

Originally posted by DaRAGE
Thats'w what i dont get. We are already patriotic. But why is Howard getting these flag poles implemented in Schools, and if he really had his way, we'd be singing the Australian National Athem every morning (not like we didn't have to do it at my primary school anyways). It this something to get us all much more patriotic to be manipulated, or is it, jsut coz Johny Howard, the Prime inister of Australia is that Patriotic, loves his country, Australia, to death, and actually thinks its a great idea?

And with this, I reckon little Johnny Howard is just trying to "rally" the nation behind him amongst all these "security risks" and such. Also, election will be coming up soon. And I'm not too keen on singing the national anthem every bloody day at school. Once per week is good enough for me.

[edit on 23-6-2004 by D]

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Aussies are very racist! i'm English - everywhere I turn i'm called a pommie b*stard!!

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Humpy
Aussies are very racist! i'm English - everywhere I turn i'm called a pommie b*stard!!

Fair dinkum Humpy!!??

I seem to recall a few 'Barmy Army' anthems. Very clever

Sanc'.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I belive Howard's primary motive for this sick and tranparent appeal to NATIONALISM is an attempt to gain some support in the federal election to be held soon..

With the predicted bloody mess in Iraq staining howard's hands, he is clearly desperate in hoping that if he could stir up some irrational support for the ongoing slaughter.

Along with Blair and Bush he is facing an increasingly hostile electorate.

And why should'nt the electorate be hostile.

Are not these men war criminals?

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I dont see a problem with flags waving outside schools. America has always had every public govornment owned building flying a flag, both the US flag and the local state flag.

Now singing the national anthem every friggin day, thats kinda goin overboard. Even we reserve the national anthem almost exclusively for sports and public govornment events.

I dunno, patriotism is something the Oz people dont really lack. A flag is one thing, schools are govornment owned buildings, right?

But the national anthem thing, next thing you know, a pledge of alliegence to the flag every day? Pretty creepy.......

Unless studys show that most Australians dont know the national anthem or what the flag looks like, then maybes its an education reform? Who knows.

They havent even re emplimented the pledge of alliegance back in US schools yet, or any of that. YET.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
patriotism is good but don't over load on it or people will get irritated
i wish Britain and England had flags on all its school buildings and government buildings

top topics

join