It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is that Jupiter? Very bright in eastern sky.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Hey all. I usually stargaze while I am out smoking my cigarettes at night. Tonight, in the eastern sky I honestly thought for a moment I was seeing a UFO. I have never seen a star or planet so damn bright.
Is this Jupiter that I am seeing? I live just barely outside of St. Louis, MO.
Has/does anyone else see this?

If it IS Jupiter, why is it so big and bright tonight?

edit to add: It is so bright, that I can't see any stars in that patch of sky--like it is drowning out starlight.

[edit on 6/9/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

It is Jupiter...

Its been there for a few months now, showing up earlier bit by bit. A month or so ago I had to wait until midnight to see it, now seeing it right about 10pm.

It has been bright and gorgeous!

Why its been looking so bright I dont know, I thought it was because its sitting close to the horizon.

Edit to add....it has been as bright as Venus to me...its brightness has been a bit bedazzling.

[edit on 6-9-2010 by LeoVirgo]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

Is it always that bright? I guess if it used to be visible later at night I would have missed it at those times.
Thanks for the confirmation. I couldn't think of anything else that could be that large and bright.
btw did you notice the time you posted at?

[edit on 6/9/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
According to Stellarium low on the North-East horizon is Capella, Jupiter is high in the South-East Sky

edited for my stupidity.

[edit on 9/6/2010 by eNumbra]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

That is a odd read back...I have not been seeing Jupiter high at all unless you watch it going way past midnight.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Hmm, what I see is ESE. At about, I'd say a 45 degree angle.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

I did not
notice...but synchronicity is nice isnt it.

Ill come back and edit in a widget, you can look up from your location...then we can also see where this Capella is the other poster mentioned.

Edit to add....

use this widget....it still looks like Jupiter to me...

www.starrynighteducation.com...=4&LatD=33&LatM=31.260000000000048&LatRG=N&LonD=86&LonM=48.179999999999836&LonRG=W&HH=09&Min=00&AmPm= 2&MM=9&DD=6&YY=2010&DST=Yes&SD=Yes&LocMMA=&LabStar=Yes&Lab=Yes&Cons=Yes&Hor=Yes&SG=&PW=410&PH=358&Az=90&FOV=90&Alt=25&Elev=3&LocN=Earth&Explore=No&

That is the image I see for 9pm from Alabama, right above the horizon....that would of been a couple hours ago my time.

And here is 11pm...how I see it now...

This is East direction...it moves ever so slightly to the south direction from 9-11pm, but not by much.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Op didn't mention time of sighting, I assumed it was very close to post.

If my assumption is wrong then I would say it is indeed Jupiter rising. (Side note: Uranus is actually right next to it if you've got a telescope)

That's jupiter, I'm being a touch dyslexic again. I switched North and South.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Double post.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Jupiter is very bright because it is in opposition to the Sun, meaning it's about as close to Earth as it ever gets.

www.fourmilab.ch...

[edit on 9/6/2010 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ah, that makes sense then. Thanks to the three of you.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Yes that is exactly where I am seeing it. Bookmarked the starrynight site too. That should prove handy.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
yes I saw it both Friday and Sat nights
when I was driving. I too thought at first
it might have been a UFO but realized
it was more star like than a UFO.
But it was beautiful and bright
none the less

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

I have had one problem with the starry night...if there is a group of planets close together, it may not label them all. Sometimes I would have to move the screen around with the arrows to get a image to where it would have room to label all the planets.

But none the less, it does work out great. I suggest Stellarium too, which uses a much bigger screed shot but the widget is a bit easier and doesnt need a download.

Since starry night doesnt always show all the labels, I tend to always double check it with Stellarium....IF alot of planets are showing sitting side by side.

I love Stellarium....just cant figure out how to save screen shots from it. Everyone has tried to tell me how, but my puter still wont do it for me.

new topics

top topics

join